Yes, you read right! It was great!
Some of you may remember the problems I was having last spring, but if you don't- here's the archived thread:
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
So last week I was told that they'd been doing some observations and evaluations and wanted to have a meeting this morning. So, I was, naturally dreading it! I requested last spring that they try to deal with her behaviors more from an OCD angle than from a "extinguish negative behaviors" view.
So the meeting was about creating a "How to Deal with Allie" manual. They are really understanding Allie now. They even brought her one on one to the meeting- the person who knows Allie best there. They get that establishing relationship and trust has a major impact on Allie's functioning and we talked a lot (the meeting lasted over 2 hours) about the things that disturb Allie and how those likely came about. They see the difference between the "little" SIBs and the loss of control ones, in fact, said that the little ones are communication and not really SIBs at all. They understand that she wants to get control over her obsessions and getting "stuck" on things all the time. Its been a long time since I've felt like school personnel understood what is really going on with Allie and it just was wonderful to finally have them on the same page with me about it. This is going to be so good!
Some of you may remember the problems I was having last spring, but if you don't- here's the archived thread:
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
So last week I was told that they'd been doing some observations and evaluations and wanted to have a meeting this morning. So, I was, naturally dreading it! I requested last spring that they try to deal with her behaviors more from an OCD angle than from a "extinguish negative behaviors" view.
So the meeting was about creating a "How to Deal with Allie" manual. They are really understanding Allie now. They even brought her one on one to the meeting- the person who knows Allie best there. They get that establishing relationship and trust has a major impact on Allie's functioning and we talked a lot (the meeting lasted over 2 hours) about the things that disturb Allie and how those likely came about. They see the difference between the "little" SIBs and the loss of control ones, in fact, said that the little ones are communication and not really SIBs at all. They understand that she wants to get control over her obsessions and getting "stuck" on things all the time. Its been a long time since I've felt like school personnel understood what is really going on with Allie and it just was wonderful to finally have them on the same page with me about it. This is going to be so good!

Comment