Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else get tired of talking about epilepsy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Hi Julia,
    Over the 43 yrs. I've had epilepsy I found out that that the following things can cause epilepsy genetics, lack of oxygen, drug or alcohol abuse, a bad blow to the head, alzheimier's, sometimes ADD or ADHD a bad scare, or using to much nutra sweet (aspartame) along with certain sounds and light like when a person plays video games for hours each day all of this can cause epilepsy for some people. I recently found out that sometimes a person can be cell phone sensitive and that means when you are around a lot of people using their cell phone at the same time it can trigger a sz. that's all do to the frequency the cell phone uses I found this out after having many sz. around people who were using their cell phones at the same time. My Dr. did an e.e.g. on me and in the other room he had Drs. use their cell phones on purpose and when they did it triggered sz. for me.
    Wishing you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

    Sue
    Last edited by Porkette; 07-20-2015, 11:02 AM.

    Comment


      #17
      Sue, thank you so much for the information. These are the kind of things many of us would like to know. To me this is the reason we have all the different forums. I'm 72 yrs. old and started having seizures nearly 5 yrs. ago. Yes, I am old, but I want to know what I can find out about all the diseases that have taken a life of it's own. Who knows, I may be able to help some of my grandchildren with things.

      I don't do FaceBook. I suppose it has it's place, but it doesn't take the place of BrainTalk for me. I would love to see many of our old members back at BT, sharing the latest things. Those that does go to FB could still go there, but still share the knowledge that we all shared many years ago.

      Sue, I appreciate all the things you do here at BT and NO, I do not get tired of discussing different forums. Just keep up the good work, Sue. We need more like you.

      My love to all, Julia s
      Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
      'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

      for my brother Ben

      Comment


        #18
        Hi Jo ........ I had my first seizure in 1991 - when I was 46 years old. After 15 difficult years I learned I had a brain tumor. Surgery in 2005 and another in 2006 -- I haven't had a seizure since.

        Comment


          #19
          ((((((Julia)))))) ~

          So good to see you here, dear friend! I've missed you! How are you feeling these days?

          In addition to the causes listed by our sweet Sue, there are a variety of neurological conditions, which can promote seizures, such as an aneurysm, stroke, or embolism, or MS, ALS, Parkinson's, etc. Then, there are idiopathic seizures, for which no cause can be determined. Hormonal imbalance can cause seizures. Seizures can be the side effect of many medications, which are not used to treat seizures, but other ailments. Not too long ago, a new member posted here about a seizure, which occurred after consuming too many "energy drinks." And recently, a new member posted about a seizure following a Kundalini experience.

          Epilepsy is a complex condition, sometimes difficult to pinpoint as to its core cause, and often difficult to treat. Although I've been dealing with epilepsy since Jon's first seizure at age 2 (43 years ago) and Michael's intractable seizures every day for 22 years, and I've read and studied and researched epilepsy and treatments for it, I still have so many questions about it.

          Michael seized more during the full moon phases and when the barometer changed. I could never convince a neurologist that this was fact, despite the copious charts I provided as evidence.

          I'm not on Facebook, either, Julia! We "old ladies" like to stick with what we know! And as you know, on the Child Neurology forum, we talk about everything, not just our kids and their neuro issues. No restrictions at BT on conversation.

          I too wish that our former members would return, and some have, and some stay and some just drop in and remark at how sluggish the forums are, because no one is here posting. I find that somewhat ironic. People leave, then come back and wonder where everyone has gone, while they were gone!

          But we're still here. And we're still talking!

          Love & Light,

          Rose
          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

          Comment


            #20
            I know I don't post much, but this is the only place to get any useful info about epilepsy. It has helped me. I do go to Facebook, ( I don't post every detail like walking the dog or having a headache... I do have a life), but I would never think about mentioning anything about my epilepsy there. Most folks just would not understand. This is a great little family in this forum :-)
            Gene

            Comment


              #21
              ((((((Gene))))))

              Back!

              We sure do have a great family here, and we're so glad that you are part of our family.

              BrainTalk's MS forum is the most active forum at BT. These members have a monthly "chat" thread. Perhaps we could start a thread like that here at the Epilepsy forum, so we can talk about things other than Epilepsy. I can't imagine why we couldn't just have an ongoing "chat thread" here for general conversation.

              Something to ponder ...

              Hope you'll drop by again soon!

              Love & Light,

              Rose
              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

              Comment


                #22
                Rose, that is something to kick around. I have been around here on and off for probably close to 15 years. I have got a lot of good info. I look around and see that there is always someone worse off than myself as far as the medical problems go. I just got through a case of colon cancer with very little issues, so I feel very blessed. Take care all!
                Gene

                Comment


                  #23
                  ((((((Gene)))))) ~

                  I'm so sorry that you had colon cancer, but what good news that you didn't have any serious issues. I hope that you are taking good care of yourself, eating a healthy diet (lots of great info on the internet about diets to keep cancer at bay, including the Johanna Budwig protocol), and getting plenty of fresh air and sunshine.

                  May you continue to be healthy!

                  Love & Light,

                  Rose
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    My focus is on the necessary but draconian ban on driving for those who experience seizure activities. Each state has different permutations of the ban.

                    So be it…we accept.
                    = = =
                    What bothers me is the fact that some opinionated folks suggest individuals experience seizures when they fail to take the prescribed AED regimen. Essentially, these opinionated folks heap blame upon those beset with seizure activity. In my wife’s case, she underwent periods of intractable seizure activity that even multiple AED’s could not suppress., NO, she never failed to take the prescribed regimen in a timely manner. OH, my wife voluntarily surrendered her driver’s license, rather than take a chance that she would have an episode while driving. Yes, we realize some folks have challenges if they cannot drive.

                    Yes, we realize that some doctors may loathe signing a certification that a patient has been seizure free for the state’s prescribed “wait period”.

                    = = = = =

                    But, my real fury is directed towards drivers who are cited and convicted of various DWI/DUI infractions. How often do we read that an accident was caused by a driver who was DUI/DWI. But wait! The news reports indicates most often indicates that the same driver in the most recent incident (an accident perhaps with the loss of life or severe injuries) has been cited multiple times for the same behavior.

                    Why aren’t our elected officials saving us from these wanton disregard for the good of all others on the road, or even off the road?

                    Yes, I have asked politicians, but have never received any reply or any adequate reply.

                    = = = = =

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I am definitely guilty of not posting. Been so long I couldn't find my password. Have been counting years, have I really been posting here for 20 years?

                      But I totally agree with Sandy. We used to have so much fun here. Yes we offered tremendous support and knowledge to each other, and especially to newcomers. I still use many of those techniques to avoid burning the house down. But while we were waiting to be needed we played.

                      Oh how we played.

                      Now it seems like we are required to be good kids, keep our hands folded on top of the desk, no passing notes, no spit balls.

                      I do miss Hootie. And all the old gang. The road trips. The inspired sillyness.

                      But now I am also remembering the dark days, the meanness, the attacks. So maybe the only safe thing to do here is keep my hands folded?
                      hugs and chocolate to everyone

                      Comment


                        #26
                        (((As annie said and to those days)))

                        Todd

                        Comment


                          #27
                          ((((((Toad)))))

                          I never got tired of hugging the toad!
                          Firehorse
                          *fire*rodeo

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Get tired of talking about epilepsy?

                            Of course!
                            Why do you think I have been away for so long?
                            Dave ©¿©¬
                            Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
                            www.howdydave.com

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I prefer to talk about epilepsy..if it can properly involved it the situation. It may help them learn something about epilepsy.
                              Lorraine (lor)

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Sometimes

                                I talk on epilepsy sites or to teach people bout epilepsy.
                                Lorraine (lor)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X