Howdy Dave's Father died today Friday 5/11/2012.
These words are Howdy Dave's:
"I was with my father when he died today at the Episcopal Church Home.
His death was fast, painless and peaceful.
I got there at about 9:30 this morning and said the Jesus Prayer with him for about 40 minutes:
...
"Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us."
I called my priest and asked him if he had any appropriate prayers for someone to use during the vigil. He said that he would be over with appropriate prayers, but meantime just read the Psalms.
We started with Psalm 1 and (omitting inappropriate Psalms for the situation) we got to Psalm 32.
Then they brought me some lunch -- a fish fry.
Dad, mom and I used to go out for a fish fry all the time when we lived at RIT. I thought "How appropriate... I'll have one last fish fry with dad."
My priest then arrived and we started doing prayers for those who are close to death. While we were doing that, he died. We finished with prayers for the dead.
What a way to go!
Peaceful, painless and fast with a family member and a clergyman saying prayers over you.
With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Your servant Robert where there is no pain, nor sorrow, nor suffering, but life everlasting."
Dad will have a military funeral at:
10:30 am.
Wednesday, May 16
... In the Chapel at:
The Episcopal Church Home
505 Mount Hope Avenue
Rochester, NY 14620
The bugler will be the head of the RIT Music Department! (Dad was a faculty member at RIT.)
Linnie
These words are Howdy Dave's:
"I was with my father when he died today at the Episcopal Church Home.
His death was fast, painless and peaceful.
I got there at about 9:30 this morning and said the Jesus Prayer with him for about 40 minutes:
...
"Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us."
I called my priest and asked him if he had any appropriate prayers for someone to use during the vigil. He said that he would be over with appropriate prayers, but meantime just read the Psalms.
We started with Psalm 1 and (omitting inappropriate Psalms for the situation) we got to Psalm 32.
Then they brought me some lunch -- a fish fry.
Dad, mom and I used to go out for a fish fry all the time when we lived at RIT. I thought "How appropriate... I'll have one last fish fry with dad."
My priest then arrived and we started doing prayers for those who are close to death. While we were doing that, he died. We finished with prayers for the dead.
What a way to go!
Peaceful, painless and fast with a family member and a clergyman saying prayers over you.
With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Your servant Robert where there is no pain, nor sorrow, nor suffering, but life everlasting."
Dad will have a military funeral at:
10:30 am.
Wednesday, May 16
... In the Chapel at:
The Episcopal Church Home
505 Mount Hope Avenue
Rochester, NY 14620
The bugler will be the head of the RIT Music Department! (Dad was a faculty member at RIT.)
Linnie

Comment