Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friend newly diagnosed epileptic-swimming question?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Friend newly diagnosed epileptic-swimming question?

    Hi everyone,
    My friend now has epilepsy. Any advice for a newly diagnosed epileptic? Is swimming near a lifeguard safe enough is seizures are controlled or does one always need an extra swim buddy?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

    #2
    I’ve had epilepsy since the age of four and have always swam. I have auras as warnings though. On a day when I’m feeling a lot of auras (focal seizures without loss of awareness), I don’t swim or do other activities that could be dangerous.

    Comment


      #3
      Nice to see you back here, sandinmyears!

      I'll just put in a promotional word here as I know many people find social media sites like Facebook to be more entertaining these days. BT has been around for so long that it shouldn't be allowed to go under, IMO. Every person who comes here and contributes posts (or even just comes here and reads) is helping to keep it alive, and the more people who show up, the more likely we are to get some improvements here.

      For instance, many would like to have our "thanks" button back. Our archives are missing. And the emojis aren't in good shape. Here it is almost Thanksgiving, and our nice Thanksgiving emojis just aren't available. The administrators just aren't going to pay attention when there are so few people here, I suspect.

      I hope you and other will consider stopping by more often and doing what you can to help keep this place afloat.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        Hi funnylegs, control is of course a major factor here, and really no one should swim alone.
        All my life with epilepsy, no restrictions have ever been placed on swimming, though always I was with someone who knew I had epilepsy, and how to deal with it.
        I'm not going to claim I had the greatest control over my seizures all my life!

        I also have an aura like Sandy does, and don't swim or do much of anything when I get this warning...
        Last edited by Firehorse; 11-24-2022, 06:33 AM.
        Firehorse
        *fire*rodeo

        Comment

        Working...
        X