Hello:
Thank you in advance for reading my long post. It was suggested that I post here for insight based on some symptoms I have been having. I am a 35 year young, recently married lady, of average weight and OK general health.
For as long as I can remember, I have been experiencing what I call "space-outs", where I forget what I am doing, stare blankly "into space" and need to regroup. Sometimes I catch myself fluttering my eyelashes, other times I need to tap the desk repeatedly to "snap out of it". It seems to need to run its course, lasts no longer than 30 seconds and my attempts to "snap out" never work. I got a yearbook "award" in 5th grade for "most spaced out" and was told by a former boss in 2003 on a progress report that I "stand there staring off into space".
The other phenomena that I experience (which started with the recent, full-blown, re-flare of my left-sided headaches) is that I make stupid mistakes and don't realize it until after I've made them. Sometimes I don't even have consciousness of the event having taken place.
For example, I went to the eye doctor on Saturday to rule out my eyes as the cause of my headaches. When I was asked to read off an eye chart, I must have flip-flopped the two letters on the second row, as the doctor said "read left to right, not right to left." I didn't even comprehend what the doctor said at first and needed him and my husband to repeat what he said. Not only did I need to "regroup", I had no consciousness of having flip-flopped the letters.
Today at work, I left out an important step of a routine task that I perform every day. I have been working at this job for a year and doing this task repeatedly pretty much since I started. In fact, this part of the task is the one I learned and practiced when I first started the job! I NEVER leave out this step. It is so out of character for me. Thankfully it was no big deal and I was able to correct the error.
The headaches originally started in Fall 2005. They come and go and are always on the left side. I don't know if this is related or not: I fell on the ice four times in a two week period in Feb 2005. I didn't hit my head, but it was bad enough a fall to warrant physical therapy. In fact, the physical therapy made the back pain go away.
For the headaches, I tried everything. Physical therapy (3 different ones), chiropractor (didn't help despite 50 some-odd treatments), muscle relaxer pills, NSAIDS, acetaminophen, massage, trigger point release, etc. I saw a neurologist from 2009-2010, who tried migraine meds and they didn't work (she didn't think I fit the pattern of migraines anyway). Suspecting Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, she ordered a spinal tap, in which the pressure was normal. MRI was done and nothing out of the ordinary was found. I stopped going in 2010, when the pain resolved on its own.
Now the headaches are back in full swing and have been for three weeks. They are usually worse in the AM and go away on their own. No medicine has helped. They are also triggered by changes in body position, like going from standing to sitting, or sitting-standing-lying down. Appetite has dwindled and I also get nausea, especially in the AM. My left ear is plugged and I have trouble hearing out of it sometimes. The doctor looked in there and said it looked OK.
I have an appt. with a neurologist on 10 Dec. From people's suggestions, I have been keeping a calendar of my symptoms to give to the doctor. They requested my records from the neuro in Upstate New York (I moved to the Midwestern part of the US a year ago) via postal mail. However, I am hoping and praying that once the letter is received in NY, that they fax or electronically send the records, in case I need to/am suggested to get in earlier.
I am scared about what is going on and it is scaring my husband. He tells me he is afraid to leave me alone in case I fall or something while he is out. I dropped two large soda pops in one day, despite trying my best to be careful. This was at onset of the headaches and the clumsiness. I also have trouble keeping my balance, especially while walking and getting up from a seated position. I want to communicate and talk things over with my hubby, however I do not want to scare him, either.
Anyway, here are my questions:
Ruled out:
Eyes - just saw eye doctor
Meds - called pharmacist two days ago. All my meds are filled at same store.
Last but not least: My surgery history:
2008: L total parotidectomy, secondary to 5.5 cm benign tumor. The surgeon didn't think it was the cause of my headaches and even repeated the CT scan a year later to make sure.
2011: roux-n-y gastric bypass
2012: hysterectomy (lost everything except right ovary).
I appreciate any and all insight you can give me.
Thank you for reading.
A
Thank you in advance for reading my long post. It was suggested that I post here for insight based on some symptoms I have been having. I am a 35 year young, recently married lady, of average weight and OK general health.
For as long as I can remember, I have been experiencing what I call "space-outs", where I forget what I am doing, stare blankly "into space" and need to regroup. Sometimes I catch myself fluttering my eyelashes, other times I need to tap the desk repeatedly to "snap out of it". It seems to need to run its course, lasts no longer than 30 seconds and my attempts to "snap out" never work. I got a yearbook "award" in 5th grade for "most spaced out" and was told by a former boss in 2003 on a progress report that I "stand there staring off into space".
The other phenomena that I experience (which started with the recent, full-blown, re-flare of my left-sided headaches) is that I make stupid mistakes and don't realize it until after I've made them. Sometimes I don't even have consciousness of the event having taken place.
For example, I went to the eye doctor on Saturday to rule out my eyes as the cause of my headaches. When I was asked to read off an eye chart, I must have flip-flopped the two letters on the second row, as the doctor said "read left to right, not right to left." I didn't even comprehend what the doctor said at first and needed him and my husband to repeat what he said. Not only did I need to "regroup", I had no consciousness of having flip-flopped the letters.
Today at work, I left out an important step of a routine task that I perform every day. I have been working at this job for a year and doing this task repeatedly pretty much since I started. In fact, this part of the task is the one I learned and practiced when I first started the job! I NEVER leave out this step. It is so out of character for me. Thankfully it was no big deal and I was able to correct the error.
The headaches originally started in Fall 2005. They come and go and are always on the left side. I don't know if this is related or not: I fell on the ice four times in a two week period in Feb 2005. I didn't hit my head, but it was bad enough a fall to warrant physical therapy. In fact, the physical therapy made the back pain go away.
For the headaches, I tried everything. Physical therapy (3 different ones), chiropractor (didn't help despite 50 some-odd treatments), muscle relaxer pills, NSAIDS, acetaminophen, massage, trigger point release, etc. I saw a neurologist from 2009-2010, who tried migraine meds and they didn't work (she didn't think I fit the pattern of migraines anyway). Suspecting Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, she ordered a spinal tap, in which the pressure was normal. MRI was done and nothing out of the ordinary was found. I stopped going in 2010, when the pain resolved on its own.
Now the headaches are back in full swing and have been for three weeks. They are usually worse in the AM and go away on their own. No medicine has helped. They are also triggered by changes in body position, like going from standing to sitting, or sitting-standing-lying down. Appetite has dwindled and I also get nausea, especially in the AM. My left ear is plugged and I have trouble hearing out of it sometimes. The doctor looked in there and said it looked OK.
I have an appt. with a neurologist on 10 Dec. From people's suggestions, I have been keeping a calendar of my symptoms to give to the doctor. They requested my records from the neuro in Upstate New York (I moved to the Midwestern part of the US a year ago) via postal mail. However, I am hoping and praying that once the letter is received in NY, that they fax or electronically send the records, in case I need to/am suggested to get in earlier.
I am scared about what is going on and it is scaring my husband. He tells me he is afraid to leave me alone in case I fall or something while he is out. I dropped two large soda pops in one day, despite trying my best to be careful. This was at onset of the headaches and the clumsiness. I also have trouble keeping my balance, especially while walking and getting up from a seated position. I want to communicate and talk things over with my hubby, however I do not want to scare him, either.
Anyway, here are my questions:
- Are epilepsy and headaches related? In other words, do people with epilepsy commonly get headaches as part of their condition?
- Can absence/petit mal seizures go undetected by doctors (and epilepsy in general), despite having seen many docs as a child and adult? (Including psychiatrists and neurologists)
- Can people still get seizures while on Topamax? I take it for biploar disorder and have for years. I read that it only treats certain types of seizures...I will have to dig and see which ones it treats.
- Should I call and see if I can get in to the neurologist sooner than 10 Dec?
- How do they test for epilepsy in adults? I've read mixed things on the net.
Ruled out:
Eyes - just saw eye doctor
Meds - called pharmacist two days ago. All my meds are filled at same store.
Last but not least: My surgery history:
2008: L total parotidectomy, secondary to 5.5 cm benign tumor. The surgeon didn't think it was the cause of my headaches and even repeated the CT scan a year later to make sure.
2011: roux-n-y gastric bypass
2012: hysterectomy (lost everything except right ovary).
I appreciate any and all insight you can give me.
Thank you for reading.
A

Comment