Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keppra and effect on the kidneys?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Keppra and effect on the kidneys?

    Hello all, I have been on Keppra for nearly 15 years and got blood work done last week. It appears there are some abnormalities with kidney function. Have any of you been on it long term or had kidney function to be affected? Maybe a Urinary Tract Infection or stone or blood in the urine? It is cleared through the kidneys, and I did some reading just now, and it can be related to kidney failure. I think that if that is it, kidney function will resolve if taken off of it. It has controlled my seizures what there are since I had surgery, but if I still need med which I think I do due to the kindled focus on the other side, I am not sure what to do. I will discuss it with my new Internist, but she doesn't know this medicine. I'd hate to start a new med at this late date. Any thoughts or experience with kidney function, labs, and Keppra or the generic? Thanks Tattoo

    #2
    Hi Tattoo,

    I'm sorry to hear that you have kidney stones or infection I had the same problem while taking tegretol and trileptal. I was told to drink at least 2-3 liters of fluids especially water or cranberry juice to help flush out
    the kidney stones. After that I went on vimpat and have had no problems since then. Another thing my Dr. told me to do is to drink lemon juice just buy a couple of lemons and squeeze the juice into a little water and
    this will also help stop kidney stones or infection. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

    Sue

    Comment


      #3
      Hi Sue. Thanks for that info. I didn't have sediment in the urine which I would think I would have if the issue is stone formation. I know that others on keppra had kidney damage taking it when I looked it up, so that concerns me. I hope others who have been on keppra, leveteracetam, or other meds for a while who have had changes in lab work regarding kidney or liver function share their experience. I think I will take your advice and add more acid to my diet. I do eat a lot of dairy take calcium, and drink no juices, so I can make that change. I don't see that as having anything to do with actual kidney function but will make that change. It can't hurt. Tattoo

      Comment


        #4
        I had an allergic reaction to one of the inert ingredients-excipients- in three different generic formulations of levetiracetam. So far, after 8 years of Keppra, I've had no known kidney problems, but who knows, they may start tomorrow. My liver experienced 38+ years of Dilantin and now, 8 years of Trileptal . I do like Sue's suggestions.

        Linnie
        Last edited by linniec; 04-29-2013, 01:26 AM.

        Comment


          #5
          Hi all, Thanks, Spoke with my doc today and she said that she was not sure why the particular level, the Estimated Glomerulo Filtration Rate (eGFR) was reading low which by what I read means that there is some deficit of renal function. The two components that made up the ratio or fraction both were fine which makes the low eGRF insignificant!! YEA! I thought about calling UCB to ask them if they had evidence based info regarding long term use of Keppra and kidney function. Didn't do that yet but we will watch it. Also if the kidneys begin to fail, then Keppra may not be filtered, metabolized/ managed as it should be which should cause an increase in the med in the blood which should lead to more side effects or even seizures. All is well there so all is well here too. By the way, I did get Orange juice to add some acid to my diet. Thanks Sue. Tattoo
          Last edited by Tattoo2; 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            Don't automatically assume that problems are due to medications...

            During an annual checkup I was found to have kidney cancer!
            Luckily it was discovered and dealt with while it was still Stage 1-B.

            (They simply cut out half of a kidney.)
            Last edited by howdydave; 05-04-2013, 06:00 AM.
            Dave ©¿©¬
            Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
            www.howdydave.com

            Comment


              #7
              Dave -- I'm very glad for you that it was a stage 1 and was taken care of ....... I assume you will have steady check-ups? I'll keep you in my prayers.

              Comment


                #8
                Howdy jingle!

                This happened about 10 years ago.
                I still have regular follow-ups.
                Dave ©¿©¬
                Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
                www.howdydave.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by howdydave View Post
                  Don't automatically assume that problems are due to medications...

                  During an annual checkup I was found to have kidney cancer!
                  Luckily it was discovered and dealt with while it was still Stage 1-B.

                  (They simply cut out half of a kidney.)
                  Great Howdy! But could levetiracetam have played some role in the development of your cancer? It's strong stuff.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Here are the results of my googling levetiracetam "long-term"

                    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                    Linnie

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X