Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rethinking the benefits of vitamin D?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rethinking the benefits of vitamin D?

    A couple of recent articles in MedPage Today indicate that medical professionals may be having second thoughts about the benefits of vitamin D. One (November 27) is "Vitamin D: Hope or hype?" and can be seen Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register....

    A related article, "High-dose vitamin D no help in MS" (October 25) can be seen Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register....
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    Thanks for posting this.

    Comment


      #3
      Agate, is Ted still around?

      I was wondering if he knew why they used D2 in this study: "High-dose vitamin D no help in MS" (October 25) can be seen here."

      Cherie
      ''In the last analysis, we see only what we are ready to see, what we have been taught to see. We eliminate and ignore everything that is not a part of our prejudices"

      Jean-Martin Charcot, 1825 - 1893

      Comment


        #4
        There has been this comment in response to the article you're referring to, lady_express:

        Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

        Ted Hutchinson doesn't have any posts on this new board. I don't know where he is. Maybe somebody else has a clue?
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #5
          I was tested for Vit D and was deficient. Dr has me take 2000 iu daily. Can't hurt.
          "No man is an island entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main"....
          John Donne

          Comment


            #6
            I thought it was Vitamin D3 that was helpful, not Vitamin D2.

            Comment


              #7
              newone, I thought that too--about D3 instead of D2. The first article doesn't make it clear which type is being discussed, and the second one is talking about D2. And please see my post #4.

              LaCeli, I was found to be deficient in vitamin D as well. I've been taking 3,000 IU daily now for several months, and the vitamin D level has improved.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #8
                Awhile back we had quite a [loud] discussion about this and my PCP suggested that I get tested and it showed that I was not just low but my Vit D was almost non existent I have no idea which one it was and he put me on 50,000 IU once a week its been almost 3 months and I am about ready to be rechecked. Do I feel any better? No. Do I think it will ever help or improve my MS? Again no. The only reason that I am even considering staying with it is the help it could give with the absorption of calcium and as i have been on IVSM so much the last year I am concerned about bone loss.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Gary, I also take Vitamin D to help with calcium absorption. Mine tested very low after I read Ted's stuff years ago, and I increased it, and my score went way up, but not up to where Ted would have it go. I am careful about taking a "lot" of things unless it's proved necessary, as in the case of magnesium. i become very spastic and jerky without large amounts of magnesium.
                  I believe D3 is a hormone, and I'm careful with all hormones in high quantities, because I have Porphyria. It might be bad to have an excess in Porphyria but i have not talked to anyone who knows. It seems all Americans (maybe all people who wear clothes) are deficient in D.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    What range value is considered normal?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      According to Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... the normal range is 30 to 74 nanograms per milliliter.

                      In November mine was 57. I was told that the doc is aiming for 60-80.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Like almost everyone, my D level is minimal--15. I started taking 50,000 units of D every week. Same results. Then I took 2,000 units, and the number still didn't go up, so now I just take what's in my multivitamin. I never liked the idea of such high doses and probably would have stopped taking it anyway.
                        "It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

                        Comment


                          #13
                          In addition to the 1000IU I get in my calcium supplement, I have been taking D3 drops 5000IU three times a week. After three months, there is still no elevation of my low normal levels. Most of what I'm reading lately coming out of England and Canada is saying that some persons just plain don't metabolize D well and levels will remain low (in some) no matter what dose or formulation is given. I do not think, however, that anyone with low levels should not attempt to bring them up with supplements.

                          BTW...mine has been 35-37 the last three times it has been measured (once on no supplement, once on 1000IU daily and once with the added D3)
                          Last edited by Cherie; 12-22-2011, 02:29 PM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Moonwolf, it seems strange to me that your vitamin D level hasn't risen. I've often heard two bits of advice--you've probably heard them too but I'll pass them along anyway. You have to make sure you're getting D3, and you need to take it with food.

                            Things might be different with the mega-doses you were taking though. I currently take 3,000 IU a day. My latest vitamin D level was 57 (a month ago).
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              As Cherie pointed out, studies have shown that some people's levels will remain low no matter what.
                              Last edited by Moonwolf; 12-26-2011, 10:52 AM. Reason: apostrophe
                              "It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X