I'm just writing to see if anyone has any suggestions. I am homeless in Chicago. I have M.S., disc degenerative disease, a tumour behind my eye and mild spinal stenosis. I am trying to get into the Patty Crowley apartments and now they are asking me for disability papers which I do not have. Disability was denied the first time. On April 23 there is a court date for the appeal. The advocates at Strogers hospital will be there. But I need the papers for housing before March 30. I am so sad. I am looking for work. I am so tired of living in a shelter that I want to live in the street. Does anyone have suggestions?
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Homeless in Chicago with MS
Collapse
X
-
Hi stardust, and Welcome to this board--
You've been having such a bad time, and I wish I could offer more help. I found this about the Patty Crowley Apartments but you probably know about this Webpage:
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
It looks as if their waitlist closed as of 7/26/11 but that was such a long time ago that it may have opened again. From what you say, it sound as if they're willing to consider your application if you have income as a disabled person.
Is there any legal aid available to you? I'd say your best bet would be to find a lawyer who could expedite your appeal or possibly get an extension of your housing deadline until after your appeal decision.
Do you have a case worker through the social services system? If you don't, you should try to get one because that person can help to guide you through the procedures.
I hope you're not serious about living on the street. If you have any connection with a church or other religious establishment, you could try asking them for suggestions. But you've probably done that already too.
Don't give up. Have you combed through the phone book for names of any persons or agencies that might help?
Good luck with your appeal and with your housing application. Please let us know how you're doing.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
-
Is there any way you can get the apartments to give you blank papers for housing with a letter explaining why they are waiting to let you fill them out and to give you your apartment so that you can take the letter with you to your hearing? Here in Michigan if you are threatened to lose your home or are homeless they expedite the hearing so that you can get what you need to keep/get a home. Also try your local Social Service organization and ask them if they let mail come there for clients until they get on their feet. They started a new program here where if you are homeless when you fill out an application for services they have an address, which is theirs, kinda like a P.O. box, so that the government has an address for you.
I spent almost 6 yrs fighting for mine I really hope you can get it all taken care of.
Comment
-
Just when I think things couldn't suck more, I hear of someone who has it much worse than I.
I don't really have anything to add to the advise you've already been given, but I just wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts and prayers for whatever that's worth.
Hang in there, stardust. I hope things start looking up for you soon.
Comment
-
Did you contact your local MS Society for assistance? Do you have a disability rights organization that could help?
What a terrible situation. I live with the fear of ending up homeless too, I really empathize with you and hope you can find local resources to help you in the meantime. If you can't try contacting your political rep to see if they know of any resources that can help. You have enough on your plate, you should not have to deal with a housing crisis on top of everything else.
You are in my thoughts, please let us know if you find a solution.
Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.
Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."
Comment
-
Wishing we did not live in a cruel society. Please have patience that you will be able to leave the shelter, with the aid of a Social worker of some type, after your hearing. There may be another place you can stay if that apt. is full. In a big city like Chicago.
See if the church has a helper. When my husband and I could not find a helper in the Seattle area, after trying for months, finally a man came who volunteered from a church. He helped with handyman stuff. Sooner or later a "social work" type person may emerge from a church list if you put your name on it. Be patient.
Comment



Comment