I think it was Dad's turn when I looked just now. The two eaglets get bigger by the minute. They're looking a bit scruffy just now because their down is probably on its way to becoming feathers but they're little bundles of energy.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Decorah eagles
Collapse
X
-
Mama was sitting a little way away from them when I looked just a little while ago and she had her head turned away from them. I watched for a bit and she looked back to see if they were alright. For a couple of minutes I was going to call her a bad Mother, but I would have been wrong to do that.Virginia
Comment
-
((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~
Now I remember ... if you miss a couple of days, the babies seem to have doubled in size!
Virginia ~ I also noticed that they were alone in the nest, which I also remember as being typical, when they reach this size. They no longer need to be under Mom's or Dad's body. Mom and Dad are probably perched on a limb above the babies keeping a close eye on them and any predators. They are never far away from their kids.
Today, I watched the babies preening, and then they both sat up on their fannies and looked around their environment. I keyed in on their feet, because they are almost the size of the eaglets entire body! Jim and I used to laugh at this stage, because they have these giant feet when they are so small.
It reminds me of a babysitter, who used to care for Jonathan and Michael. She joked with Jon, "If you ever grow into your feet, I won't be able to take care of you anymore!" She ended up becoming a Nurse Practitioner.
Agate ~ Thank you so much for bringing the Decorah Eagles back into our lives.
Love & Light,

Rose
*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
THANKS!
Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.
Comment
-
They were both out in the open with both parents hovering protectively just now. They're looking a bit awkward but I'm sure they're shaping up nicely under the watchful eyes of Mom and Dad.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
The two babies were alone in the nest when I looked. They have little sharp-looking white things sticking out of their bodies, looking a lot like a plucked chicken who still has a few pinfeathers left on it, and those must be the beginnings of their real feathers.
Having real feathers should make them feel more grown-up.
SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~
First, the babies were snuggling and nudging each other playfully with their beaks. Then, one eaglet sat up, started to preen, then spread wings. The other eaglet sat up, both on their fannies with their giant feet sticking out. When the eaglet spread wings again, the other eaglet became aggressive and poked at him. At that point the wing spreader went back down into the nest subserviently.
Ye ol' pecking order!
Mom and Dad must be observing from on high. The eaglets' crops were full, so it must be post dinner time.
Love & Light,

Rose
*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
THANKS!
Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.
Comment
-
((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~
The eaglets have grown so much overnight! No snuggling today. Instead they were separated and closer to the edge, rather than the center of the nest. One of them sat on her/his fanny and began to speak in a squeaky chirp. The other eaglet joined in, and they were competing with their vocal cords.
While one tried to lift a tree limb and move it, the other one tried to peck off the remaining meat (which was sparse) on what was probably the leg of a critter Mom and Dad brought home from take-out. Their crops were full, but their growing so food is on their minds all of the time. After unsuccessfully trying to glean off anything from the bone, the eaglet used it as a pillow. Plop!
Nuthatch ~ We miss you. I hope you are watching this nest with us, as well as watching over all of us and your loved ones.
Love & Light,

Rose
*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
THANKS!
Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.
Comment
-
The babies have been left on their own again--and seem to be enjoying their freedom. They definitely look ungainly at this stage, with such gigantic feet!
That nest is 7' x 9'--but then mature eagles are really huge.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
Today's menu seems to be a rabbit but I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it is big and looks like quite a catch for them. The little ones are grabbing the bits of food from the dad's beak. Big day in the nest today, maybe, because of this treat?SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
They seem fairly fidgety and so maybe they'll move around soon. I see lots of the pinfeathers sticking out. They still have to grow a magnificent bunch of feathers like their parents.
Wonder if anyone keeps track of them after they've grown up? Might be interesting to see what kind of nests they have when they themselves start reproducing.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment

Comment