Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decorah eagles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

    Sorry you missed seeing the babies today, Virginia. I check in a couple of times a day.

    Today the eaglets were alone in the nest, with full crops, and that one show-off eaglet started stretching and flapping her/his wings. The other eaglet sat up, pecked at the show-off, and then a pecking contest ensued. The show-off won, as the other eaglet dropped his head for a couple of minutes in submission.

    They alternate between being close to each other and bickering. Typical siblings!

    Agate ~ I don't know whether the Raptor Resource Project still tags the eaglets at some stage before fledging to monitor their travels. They did that years ago.

    Several of the eaglets perished over the years from electrocution on elevated power poles. I hope that the advocates for the eagles were successful in protecting the eaglets and other birds from this danger.

    Love & Light,



    Rose

    *Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!


    THANKS!




    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

    Comment


      #32
      Just now the two eaglets are more or less on their own in the nest but one of the parents is perched on an elevated spot, back turned, probably getting an eagle's eye view of the environment.

      The two youngsters are preening and grooming themselves, or at least that's what it looks like.

      One wants to look one's best. Or maybe one just has some itchy bugs.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #33
        Nice photo giving a different perspective on the scene:

        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #34
          I hadn't looked in on the eaglets for a day or two, and how they've changed just in that short time! They're looking a bit scruffy just now with a mixture of feathers and fluff covering them and they seem bigger.

          Both of them and their dad or mom are very intent on eating something. They're eating on their own, just pitching in along with the mom or dad.

          I can't see just what it is they're enjoying on their menu but it might be better not to know too much about it...
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #35
            This is a list of what has been observed on their menu (from the Moderator's comment at the Website):

            They’ve dined on fish, rabbit, crow, cow placenta, raccoon and some unknown food objects (UFO’s).
            Offtopic a bit here but this video of some ducklings doing bellyflops might be viewable here. As with other link postings here, you need to click on the top link:

            https://twitter.com/i/status/1382403899416481792
            Last edited by agate; 04-30-2021, 04:56 PM.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #36
              The babies are no longer babies. We better keep a close eye on them they look like they are getting ready to fly. Agate, the little ducklings following Mama into the lake was cute. Sure makes me long for Nuthatch.

              P.S. It says I am on page 2, but I am suppose to be on page 3 typing this.
              Virginia

              Comment


                #37
                I just love those ducklings!

                As for the page numbers, I think that this board still has to sort itself out. It's going through its labor pains just now. Maybe it's at the same stage as the eaglets--not quite ready to fly. We're getting along on it but several things aren't hooked together yet.

                For instance, when I looked at this board on my iPad, where I can see post numbers and people's total post counts and signatures, I also noticed a row of several red-orange rectangles under the user names. I think that is part of the Reputation feature but don't know. I'm asking about it because I thought that if we had the Reputation feature turned on, we would also have a Thanks button. Or maybe it was a Like button.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Now it says page 3. The row of orange dots have been there a long time Agate. Maybe it is because we are a little more prolific in our posting than some. Rose has them too and I am not sure who else. I didn't know they were connected to the Reputation feature. As far as I am concerned, if that is what it takes to get a Like button, they can stay. Others may not feel that way and I have never even paid any attention to who has how many orange things (whatever they are). I kind of doubt that we have more sterling reputations than anyone else Actually, they do kind of decorate everything. Maybe if we kept them they could turn them red for Christmas.

                  Edited to add: I looked around in April Chit Chat and I can see that some people have less bars, so maybe my idea of keeping them is not a good idea. I do not want any hurt feelings now or in the future.
                  Last edited by Virginia; 05-01-2021, 06:17 PM.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #39
                    The orange bars have been removed, I think? Virginia, I agree that the Reputation feature might lead to a competitive spirit around here that would be regrettable. This place shouldn't be like a contest where everyone is trying to rack up more posts than everyone else. It would be OK if it was something we could all ignore or just joke about but it wouldn't always work that way, I'm afraid. If people will feel badly because they haven't been up to posting very often, that would be too bad.

                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                      Agate and Virginia ~

                      The rectangles/bars/dots under our names have been removed by Mike.

                      If you held your cursor over those rectangles/bars/dots, you would see a saying pertaining to the "reputation" of the person. And the sayings were ridiculous, in my opinion. I can't remember them all now, but I do recall in another thread here on the MS forum, where I mentioned what your "reputation" was Agate. That was when we were first figuring things out here on the new board.

                      To me, all of this is frivolous to what we're actually here to do ~ which is love and support each other. The "Like" and "Thanks" can also cause hurt for some people, if they don't receive any "Like" or "Thanks" on their posts.

                      Everything doesn't have to be a competition. We don't have to have features, which may pit us against each other. If we have to have a "Reputation" feature, and a "Like" or "Thanks" feature to attract new members, then what does that say about our society now?

                      Maybe BrainTalk can be a refuge, where there is no competition, no frills, bells or whistles. Maybe BrainTalk can be the place where everyone is accepted and loved and supported as they are. Where we are all equal in our quest to understand more about our conditions or the conditions of our loved ones on a path toward healing for everyone of us.

                      Instead of a button to click to say, "I like you" or "Thank you," we can convey those feelings in our replies to each other. This is a discussion forum. It isn't Facebook, or Twitter, or any other social media platform. We are old school, even with updated software. We communicate here, which is why it's called BrainTalk!

                      As for our eaglets ~ they sure grow up quickly! Wow! I'd forgotten how fast they seem to mature.

                      Healing, positive energy to all ~

                      Love & Light,

                      ❤️❤️❤️❤️

                      Rose

                      *Virtual Hugs Are Germ -Free!


                      THANKS!
                      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        I don't think that the "Reputation" or the "Thanks" button has been promoted as a way of attracting new members.

                        For me, the "Thanks" button let me know that someone had read my post and had thought to thank me for it. I found I really appreciated that feature though at first I opposed it. I get discouraged when it looks as if I'm just talking to myself.

                        I'll miss the "thank" button but I'll go along with whatever has been decided.

                        Tags were discussed in another thread as a way of attracting new members.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Poor Mama! She is having to keep young-ins warm again as it is snowing.
                          Virginia

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Now they are alone again this morning. Mama and Daddy are out hunting. They are in the teenage stage and old enough to be left alone I guess.
                            Virginia

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Saturday 12:30PM - I guess it is lunch time. Mom and Dad are out looking for food. Babies are alone. One was spreading his/her wings. I hoped it would not try to fly alone.
                              Virginia

                              Comment


                                #45
                                I hope your computer problem didn't develop while you were looking at the Decorah Eagles Website, Virginia.

                                I say this because this morning I was looking at (it was mealtime and the scruffy little eaglets were really digging in), and had just opened up the Comments popup window when my computer went black and turned itself off.

                                This has happened before a couple of times as I mentioned in another thread but this time I wonder if that Webcam plus the popup window were just more than my computer was up to.

                                I did get everything back eventually but it took about 10 minutes just to turn back on. It said it was "Preparing Windows" all during that time and then it obliged me to log in, something I've never had to do.

                                I'll still look at the Decorah eagles though I may wait a while until I try again. I don't think I'll try to get to any popup windows there, just in case that was the problem.

                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X