Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"House Calls" visit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    "House Calls" visit

    For the last few years the insurance company that manages Medicare for me, United Health Care, has been trying to get me to sign up for one of their "house call" visits, promising a "health care professional" visiting me at home. The visit will include "important health screenings." I was told I would also have a chance to check my current meds, go over my diet, and get educational materials.

    I always said No to this idea, not particularly wanting to share my medical information any more than necessary. But in September along came another offer from them, this time offering a $50 Visa gift card. Wanting to pay off my hearing aids faster, I signed up.

    The person who came has FNP after her signature--Family Nurse Practitioner. She was nice enough, and we went over some of my meds but not all. She asked a few questions about them. There was no discussion of diet at all, and there were no educational materials. She took my blood pressure but what she told me the reading was isn't what she wrote down. It was 122/70 but she wrote down 122/80. It probably doesn't matter but it was part of the general impression I had that she just wasn't particularly attentive to the task at hand.

    She talked quite a bit about her own health problems during the 40 minutes or so when she was here.

    Wrapping it up, she said, "We could go over your immunizations and see if it's time for some of them but at this point, why bother?" and she was almost out the door.

    I realized that I had received not one shred of evidence that she had been here, and so I said, "Do you have a card or some piece of paper just to remind me that you've been here?"

    Then she quickly remembered that she was supposed to fill out a form and leave it with me. She put her name and mine on it and the date, and my BP. The rest of the form (two pages of boxes to have been checked) she left blank and was zipping out the door.

    I'm posting this just in case anyone here has received similar offers of "house call" visits and wants to know how one of them went.

    It's a painless way to obtain $50 but not especially useful otherwise, IMO.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    Agate, I am not getting these calls, but I think it is telling that United Health Care is hiring these people. Obviously, there is not a lot of screening. It sounds like it is just take whoever has an FNP after their name. Not all people who are called Professionals are real professional when they begin to give us important information. I think most of us on here can attest to that when we think of some of the Neurologist we have seen.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      Absolutely! We did have a brief discussion of my potassium rx and whether it was a good idea to take 4 aspirin a day, but that was the sum total of the medical information that was exchanged.Oh yes--she took my temperature (97.7') and asked my height and weight.

      Some neurologists, who probably make far more than an FNP, haven't done much more than that, come to think of it.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

        agate ~

        First, congratulations on your excellent BP!!!

        It is interesting that UHC offered you a bribe, er ... an incentive of $50 to have this house visit. Clearly, it wasn't out of concern for your health and well being, as demonstrated by the indifference of the FNP. Methinks UHC might be collecting data on the people to whom they provide insurance.

        Everything about the FNP's visit bothers me, especially this:

        Wrapping it up, she said, "We could go over your immunizations and see if it's time for some of them but at this point, why bother?" and she was almost out the door.
        Why bother? Wow! At this point? What does that mean?!

        Did she check your respirations? Did she have a pulse ox to put on your finger to check your O2 saturation? Did she use her hands and feel your neck for any thyroid or other issues? Did she use a stethoscope to listen to your heart and lungs? No, she didn't apparently. She checked your BP. Then, she wrote down an incorrect reading. That isn't any where close to an "important health screening."

        I would be inclined to contact UHC to speak to someone about this visit. I'd first ask questions, such as, "What is the 'health professional' supposed to check during the visit?" I would probe, if the response was vague, "Are there specific directions for the 'health professional' to follow in checking on UHC clients?" I would also ask, "Where does the 'health professional's' report go? Who sees the results of my visit? And how is that information used? Is the information gathered in the visit sent to my PCP?" Also, "Will my results affect my insurance rate?"

        Then, I would proceed to describe what the FNP did and didn't do. Then, I would thank them for the $50 card, adding, "which will help me pay for my hearing aids, which UHC doesn't cover."

        (Or did UHC pay a portion of the cost? Either way, it helps you pay for your share, which shouldn't even exist in a fair society. We have to pay for dental, hearing and vision, while billionaires waste money for 11 minutes in space. Equity! Ugh!)

        Like Virginia, I haven't been approached about a "house visit." I would have declined it as you did, but now I know that if I am contacted, declining it is the best option. Thank you, agate, for helping us once again.

        Love & Light,

        ❤️❤️❤️❤️

        Rose

        Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!


        THANKS!
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

        Comment


          #5
          The answer is No to all of your questions about she checked, Rose. Temperature and BP were the sum total. Plus a few questions.

          I've turned down all previous attempts at setting up one of these "house call" visits, and there have been frequent calls from UHC about them over several years. UHC is really pushing them. In the past I questioned them and had the same doubts you expressed--that for some reason the insurance company wants to collect data on everyone it covers. It crossed my mind that in case of a claim later on, they might want to have their own data at hand.

          But in spite of all of my doubts, that $50 was irresistible.

          Yes, I did indeed feel like saying something about the hearing aids. The insurance people covered a couple of hundred dollars of the cost. I paid the rest. Not exactly generous coverage but better than nothing.

          Everything about the FNP's visit bothers me, especially this:

          Wrapping it up, she said, "We could go over your immunizations and see if it's time for some of them but at this point, why bother?" and she was almost out the door.
          Why bother? Wow! At this point? What does that mean?!
          I mentioned that because I found it very upsetting too. I thought maybe I was being hypersensitive and reading things into her remarks, but I did take it to mean, "Since you're so old that you're apt to drop dead at any minute, why bother with immunizations as if you have a future?"

          I've been hearing occasional remarks from people lately that indicate that I had jolly well better face my mortality and my lack of a future, but coming from a medical professional, such remarks were especially unwelcome.

          There's a lot of ageism floating around.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            I thought the remarks about the immunizations was disturbing, also. I hope she didn't mean that you were too old to worry about!!! She should have at least made sure you were up to date on covid and a flu shot!!!

            Comment


              #7
              I should have asked her what she meant--but she was well on her way out at that point, making it clear that she was eager to be on her way. I don't recall if she asked about the COVID and flu vaccines.

              She was supposed to fill out the 2-page form. It includes 3 boxes for "Number of words recalled." She had given me the 3 words (dog, blanket, table--if I remember right) but never asked for them again and didn't check any of the boxes.

              She did feel my ankles briefly, checking for swelling.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #8
                ((((((agate)))))) ~

                I've been hearing occasional remarks from people lately that indicate that I had jolly well better face my mortality and my lack of a future, but coming from a medical professional, such remarks were especially unwelcome.
                Oh my word! Who is saying this to you? What kind of person would say such horrible things to anyone? I'm trying to imagine how I would react to that insensitivity and cruelty, if someone said that to me. I might retort, "Oh, are you God? Do you know the exact date and time I will expire? Are you psychic? Do you know how long your life will be? Thanks for your input. Have a nice day."

                I wish I had been there with you, because I would have had a few words for the FNP. As she hurried out the door, I would have said, nicely, "But what about ... the word test? the other questions on the form? the vaccines? What is the point of your visit, if you don't have all of the information requested for this visit?"

                The first question she should have asked you is whether you are fully vaccinated for COVID. She should have asked to see your vaccine card. The next question should have been whether you've had your flu shot, and if not, offering assistance to you to get it done.

                "What's the point?" sums up her entire visit. The point is that she gets paid for her time with you. She'll probably fill in the blanks before she submits her report, regardless of accuracy. No one at UHC will be the wiser.

                You know, agate, I am not a nurse or a nurse practitioner or any kind of medical professional. But, I guarantee you that I could give you a better exam than she did. And I am extremely qualified in charting and answering questions. Even if I didn't know you, I would treat you with respect and kindness.

                We ALL deserve respect and kindness, regardless of any "identifying" term used to describe us. We are HUMANS above all else.

                Love & Light,

                ❤️❤️❤️❤️

                Rose

                *Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!



                THANKS!
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Well, insurance companies aren't known for caring much about people. They're making money. And more money.

                  I'm fairly sure that this whole "house calls" visit has some connection with a way to make more money for them. They wouldn't be doing it otherwise.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Well, a couple of days AFTER the visit, I received an "Appointment Reminder" telling me to have my blood glucose meter ready (it wasn't mentioned during the visit) and to be prepared to give a urine sample (also not mentioned).

                    It closes with this: "A summary of what you two talked about will be mailed to you and your doctor."

                    I haven't received this summary yet. I'm betting that it never gets here.

                    If time passes and there is still no summary, I'll give them a call. I'd really like to know just what is being sent to the doctor.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Agate, if I were you I would definitely want to know what is going in my records at my Doctor's office. That will follow you even if you leave the Doctor you are with at this time.

                      So glad you are telling us all about this. I have had no one try to get me to come in, but if I do I will now know not to listen to them.
                      Virginia

                      Comment


                        #12
                        They sent a 5-page "snapshot of your health." That is the summary, and the doctor will have received a copy as I understand it.

                        One page is just announcing what it is. Another page is just a nondiscrimination notice. One page lists my rx drugs. One page gives my heart rate (78). Another page gives my BP (122/82) and the BMI (22.82, with "Good job!" added).

                        And that is it. The doctor already has all of this information. I could have got this much of an update if I'd dropped by at one of those booths where a machine takes your BP. They used to be in supermarkets but I haven't heard about them for a while.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Well, it is a great B/P and BMI reading, which is something to be proud of. But if that is all she did, I just can't see the point.
                          Virginia

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I can't think why the insurance company is willing to blow money on this effort. Maybe it's a PR gesture--to persuade the insured people that United Health Care really cares?
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X