Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

February chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Linda, my left leg has always been the weakest and even with exercise I find that one is still weak. Now, if we could just find a way to walk on one leg!

    Agate, this only takes me about 35 to 45 minutes to do and I am only doing them once a day. I could tell they would have liked me to do them twice a day, but I know that I would get so tired of them that I might be more tempted to stop. Remember I am not doing any walking outside right now. I wish I could.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #47
      A neighbor brought me a cooked spiral ham last night, along with a whole package of rolls and the fruit salad that I like so much. So kind of her. I don't normally eat that much ham, but I wouldn't tell her. Anyone know if cooked ham can be frozen? She had kept a few slices and I gave another neighbor a couple of slices. Another lady who likes to bake gave me a whole loaf of banana nut bread. I cut it and froze it in quarters, after I ate a slice and saved a slice for tonight.

      Anyone else see where Mark Cuban has started his own drug company? He is selling the drugs at a much lower price. Right now he only has 100 generic drugs, but there are to be more to come. He is a good guy.

      Speaking of drugs my PCP gave me a Rx for a year for my hormones. My brother went in to talk to her. He told her what his friend in the medical field had researched for him. It was interesting to see the two of them going back and forth. He told her that I had already out lived the average MS person by 10 years. When he said that it took me by surprise, and I have wondered if that is what his friend found in her research. Basically, he asked her to please not rock the boat. I went on hormones in 1981. I looked that up in my medical records.

      After he left the office she chuckled at the thought of me bringing him in to talk to her. What I didn't tell her was he was the one who decided he was going to talk to her. She and I spent some more time together and during our conversation 3 times she told me I would have to sign a release. Each time I told her that was fine, that I would sign one. When I started to leave I asked her if the release would be at the front desk. She started laughing and said "there is no release". Strange lady, but at least by laughing at the end she showed she had a sense of humor.

      The Doctor wears a Berka on her head and when she entered the office naturally my brother rose to his feet, she bowed and he bowed back. While they were talking he told her he wanted her to take her Doctor's cap off. He was asking her to just think rationally. She reached up and brushed her hand over her head like she was going to take her Berka off.
      It was funny to watch the two of them.
      ​​​​​​
      Virginia

      Comment


        #48
        Virginia, I'm going to try adding some of your exercise routines. I recently discovered that I'm no longer able to skip or to jump. Walking backwards is pretty shaky too.

        I haven't tried freezing ham except when it's been cooked in a casserole but here's something about it:

        Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

        Congratulations on winning that round with the doctor! When you said:

        He told her that I had already out lived the average MS person by 10 years. When he said that it took me by surprise, and I have wondered if that is what his friend found in her research. Basically, he asked her to please not rock the boat.
        this was your brother talking to your doctor, I believe? I wonder where he got that information about how long the average person with MS lives. I've been keeping an eye on this type of information for years now and noticing how much it varies. I've pretty much given up on trusting any information on life expectancy for MS but I definitely take special note of how many people with MS nowadays seem to be well over 80. The record age I've found so far is 97.



        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #49
          Yes, that was my brother talking to the doctor. I don't know where he got the information, but I am sure it varies a lot. We have had a lot of people just on this board alone that are 10 and more years younger than I am that have died and I remember the in person support group that I was a member of. We lost a man who was 58, one who was 64 and one 72. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pretty much right. I read that it is usually 25 to 35 years after onset. I also read some of the usual causes of death and was surprised to find both of the two things that carried me to the hospital were among the ones that cause more deaths in persons with MS.

          Agate, I will list one by one in the e exercise thread what they have me doing. I think you know them all, but I will list them tomorrow. I already knew most all of them, but they added a couple I didn't know. I am surprised that you said you couldn't skip or jump. The ability to do either of those things left me quite awhile ago.

          I will also freeze some ham tomorrow.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #50
            Virginia, I have frozen ham many times. We usually have a lot left over after Christmas. I slice it and vacuum seal it in portions for 2 of us. After I thaw it I like to reheat it in a skillet with one of those snack packs of pineapple adding a little brown sugar and mustard to taste. It is an easy meal and it tastes yummy!

            Comment


              #51
              Thanks Snuggles, I am going to freeze some of mine and I will remember to get some of the pineapple. The way you fix it sounds really good.
              Virginia

              Comment


                #52
                Some of that ham and pineapple on a pita with a bit of pizza sauce and mozzarella might make a yummy pizza too, Virginia.

                Anyone heard from Howie lately?
                Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                Comment


                  #53
                  Suze-Q, I've been wondering about Howie for awhile now. Keep hoping he will reveal himself soon. We don't know how Sam is doing unless we hear from Howie. It would be nice to know they are both alright.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #54
                    I don't know about anyone else on here but I am finding it hard to not be anxious with things in Ukraine like they are. I can't imagine being in the situation those people are in. No matter our circumstances we are blessed to be in this country.
                    Virginia

                    Comment


                      #55
                      It's stressing me out too, Virginia. I feel helpless and am only warmed by how the world has opened their hearts and arms towards the Ukrainian people. Being next door to Russia and with the annexation of Crimea occurring so recently, I would have hoped the citizenry would have been more trained and prepared for potential conflict.
                      Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                      Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                      Comment


                        #56
                        I too am feeling stressed out about Russia and Ukraine. I have found that I have to limit my TV news viewing. It was not helping my mood. I have said it before, I am looking forward to the spring and brighter, warmer weather. I am looking forward to the time change in a few weeks so that we have more daylight in the early evening. Western PA has too many cold, grey days in the winter and trying to stay safe in this pandemic doesn't help.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          More daylight in the early evening will be welcome. I don't like the way we lose an hour in the spring but we do get it back in the fall.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            I am the odd one out on the time change. I sleep a little better on this time, and since I don't sleep well overall, I welcome anything that will help a little.

                            Snuggles, I admire your resolve to not watch much news. When I didn't watch any in the hospital or in rehabilitation I found I was mentally better off, but now I am back watching and reading a lot. I tried to limit myself for awhile. However, what is going on now has brought me back to watching and reading.

                            Suze-Q are you sleeping better? I remember you having some problems a while back.

                            Virginia

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X