Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International Women's Day, March 8

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    International Women's Day, March 8

    Today the world observes International Women's Day. Have a happy one!
    d317d8a8754db259318f94574d68daea.jpg
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    Thanks Agate! Do we have an International Men's day to recognize Howie. Do we have a day for Sam, although I guess she could celebrate today with us since she is a woman.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      There's also Random Thought (Brian) and then too there's Tom Cat (Ralph). And probably others I don't recall. Be of good cheer--there's an International Men's Day November 19:

      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      I don't know much at all about this observance but have an impression that it includes considerable resentment of women, and so we might want to be cautious about observing it here. I believe that the point of Women's Day was to call attention to the fact that women are an often-abused class in many parts of the world. I haven't heard about men being an abused class anywhere.

      I have noticed that because men are in a minority of people who get MS, men's issues with MS aren't given much attention, and that is too bad because they can get very severely disabled by MS.

      Yes, I'm in favor of including Sam on March 8. There isn't an International Cats Day that I know of, and cats are definitely an often-abused class. There are gruesome news stories about instances of cruelty to cats and they are horrifying.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

        Here is the history of International Women's Day:

        Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

        To me, it is a day to honor the women, who came before us as the pioneers for women's rights. We also honor the women of today, who continue to fight for our rights. Women still do not have equality in the workplace or in society.

        We finally have a woman as Vice President, and President Biden has nominated a woman to take Justice Breyer's seat. Of the 115 Supreme Court Justices in our history, 108 of them were white men.

        Since it is and always has been a "man's world," I don't see a reason for an International Men's Day. Everyday is International Men's Day.

        Too many men believe that they have a right to control women's health care and choices. When was the last time you heard a story of a woman sexually harassing a man in the workplace? There isn't a "Me Too" movement for men, as far as I know.

        Remember the 1950's sitcom, "The Honeymooners" with Jackie Gleason? He was constantly threatening his wife with physical abuse, fist raised, and a "Why I ought to ..." or "To the moon!" Hilarious by the standards of the day. Men are the king of the castle.

        Every woman on this forum has had to work harder than a man to accomplish what she accomplished. Think about what you have achieved in your life and all of the obstacles you overcame to reach your goals. I celebrate all of us, because we changed the stereotype and fought for our rights.

        Be proud of your courage and strength, not just on International Women's Day, but every single day.

        Love & Light,

        ❤️❤️❤️❤️

        Rose

        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

        Comment


          #5
          I for one never watched Jackie Gleason but do recall watching "All in the Family" in the early 1970s. Archie Bunker was always cutting his wife Edith down, calling her names, though I don't recall that he ever physically threatened her.

          However, it was Archie who was being exposed and ridiculed as narrow-minded and old-fashioned and bigoted, or at least that's how I took that program. So maybe TV offerings came a distance between the Jackie Gleason 1950s and the Archie Bunker 1970s?
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            I've often wondered what I would have done with my life professionally if I was coming along now. I think in that regard it is exciting. However, I hate to think what this generation might have ahead of them. It scares me in so many ways for our younger people.
            Virginia

            Comment


              #7
              ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

              agate ~

              In both Gleason's and Archie Bunker's cases, the men were abusive. They devalued and disrespected their wives. Gleason's on-air wife always called his bluff with sarcastic replies. Edith was deferential and submissive toward Archie. Both women were mistreated and bullied. Both women were tethered to their homes, shown cooking or doing housekeeping. To me, it doesn't seem like much progress was made for women on TV portraying housewives in the 20 or so years between "The Honeymooners" and "All in the Family."

              That narrative has changed in 2022, as we see women holding powerful positions, marching and fighting for their rights. It's long overdue, and we still have a long way to go.

              Virginia ~

              I am 100 percent with you in worrying about the future for this and the next generation. Will there even be an inhabitable planet for them? Or will it be destroyed by climate change or nuclear war? Or a deadly pandemic, worse than COVID?

              That is the first thought I have when I wake up in the middle of the night, and then I can't return to sleep. Today, Ukranian pregnant women were evacuated after a bombing. About to give birth and evacuated. I think of the world into which they are bringing their babies, and I weep.

              Is the world a better, safer place now than it was when we were children, teenagers, young adults? No. It isn't.

              I always cling to Hope, but the thread I am holding is thin and wearing out.

              Pray for Peace!

              ☮️☮️☮️☮️



              ❤️❤️❤️❤️

              Love and Light,

              Rose

              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

              Comment


                #8
                Yes, both Alice and Edith were mistreated by their abusive husbands. But they were never broken. They were resilient.

                Comment


                  #9
                  That's what I recall about Edith. She often ended up showing Archie up--in a quiet way, maybe, but I had the impression that "All in the Family" in general was showing Archie as hopelessly out of date and so narrow-minded that it was laughable. The viewers weren't supposed to share Archie's views--far, far from it.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                    Parsi & Agate ~

                    I agree with both of you. Alice and Edith were resilient, and they had their own ways of handling their husbands' abusive behaviors.

                    My observation is that they were depicted as stereotypical housewives, who tolerated the abuse. They were trapped by societal attitudes toward divorced women, so that option wasn't even considered. I am not finding fault with Alice or Edith, because they typified the norm in those decades.

                    I can recall similar situations among the elders in my family. The husband worked and earned the money, while the wife tended to the home and the children. The wife was given an allotment to cover household expenses. The wife would tolerate the husband's verbal abuse, slough it off, and keep going. The husband was the boss, and the wife was the servant. I broke that cycle with my first spouse, divorcing him and becoming independent.

                    Of course, the villains in both shows were the husbands. But, when they shouted or degraded their wives, the audiences roared with laughter. Those are the similarities, which I see in these shows.

                    We have come a long way since then, as I said. But, we still have a long way to go, as women's rights are threatened in every aspect of our lives.

                    Stay Strong!

                    Pray for Peace!

                    ☮️☮️☮️☮️

                    Love & Light,

                    ❤️❤️❤️❤️

                    Rose
                    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X