Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    August chitchat

    I'll leave this thread for people to post their news. I'm limited in what I can say just now because Century Link is afflicted with yet another outage. I hope to be back soon. Posting on a phone is difficult, to put it mildly.

    So what has been happening in your life?

    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    Thank you Agate for once again getting out chit/chat thread started for the month.

    I have been a little tied up in the past couple days. Wednesday I went to get my hair cut. I park up close to the curb and touch my car for balance to step up on the sidewalk. When I leave the beauty shop I lean over and lean on the car fender to keep my balance then step off the curb. I have been doing this for years. Well, Wednesday I parked just slightly too far from the curb, so I tried to step down with the aid of just my cane. I felt myself wobble and next thing I realized I was falling backward onto the cement sidewalk. I hit my head, the upper part of my back and skinned both elbows.

    I didn't want to call my hairdresser because sometimes her back gives her problems and I didn't want her pulling on me trying to get me up. I got my cellphone out and was going to call 919 and ask them to come and help me up. Another lady who works in the beauty shop looked out the window and saw me sitting down on that low curb. She yelled for my hairdresser and they came out and pulled me up. I told them I wasn't hurt but I knew I was a little. I went on to the grocery store and bought a few groceries. The back of my head hurt, also my neck and my elbows were bleeding. Otherwise I seemed to be alright.

    Yesterday I had to go to the dentist for another two hour appointment. This is still working on the tooth I broke off and I am having a cap put on. My brother insisted on picking me up and taking me. He didn't know I had fallen, but he knew it was to be a long appointment and the heat was really bad here. It turned out I was glad he did. When they pulled me up out of the dental chair I was dizzy, so I was glad my brother was there. I have one more appointment for that tooth in another 4 weeks. I am glad I like my dentist.

    Tim, how are your dental appointments going? I hope you are not minding having soft foods. I expect the fact that your daughter is fixing a lot of them helps.

    Agate, hope your internet problems soon get solved. How frustrating that must be for you to deal with.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      Virginia, I'm so very sorry you had another
      fall! I hope you weren't too badly hurt but it sounds like a nasty fall. I hope you'll get
      medical attention if you think it's needed. Sometimes we're our own best doctors though. Does your head still hurt?

      I understand that my Internet service might not be back until Monday evening. I hope that estimate will be wrong.

      Take it easy there, Virginia. Be good to yourself!
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        Oh, Virginia, I'm sorry you fell. I hope you heal very quickly. I'm very glad you have a dentist you like and trust. Major dental work is so frightening and so important.
        I'm in the middle of moving. My condo sold, the movers dumped my stuff into a tiny apartment for old people, and I'm exhausted. The move was Monday, today is Saturday and
        I still haven't found my coffee pot.

        Comment


          #5
          Wow, jingle, that is quite a move! You'll probably be glad to be out from under the condo though.

          Moving to a smaller place is a challenge. I found I had to get rid of a lot of things.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            Jingle, that must be a hard move to adjust to. It sounds as though it was not something you wanted. Are the cats adjusting well? Take your time when it comes to getting things straightened out. Movers are notorious for just grabbing things up and not caring where they land when they get where they are going. I hope you enjoy your new place once you find everything.

            Agate, I do hope your internet provider will reimburse you for all the time your internet is down. It seems that you have a lot of problems with your internet. That would drive me crazier than I already am.

            I don't think I am hurt from the fall, but as soon as I feel up to it I need to check in with my doctor. I will wait a few days until the soreness is gone. I keep losing weight and I don't know why. I have even started eating ice cream at night to try and keep my weight up. My hairdresser mentioned it to me Wednesday and one of my brothers mentioned it today. I do not need to lose any weight. The doctor probably needs to do some blood work to see if everything is alright.

            My hairdresser called me yesterday to see if I was alright from the fall. She said she was going to walk me out to my car from now on. I told her just to do it the next time so I can get my confidence back.

            We just had a thunderstorm and then I got an alert on my cellphone warning about flash flooding until 8PM.
            Virginia

            Comment


              #7
              This dreadful move is something I chose. Where I was living was just too big and big problems were booming with the HOA, I just wanted to be quiet and free. And - wow - I was astonished by what it sold for!!! And you. Virginia, know the danger of falls. I am very glad to be free of the stairs. I went there this morning to do some cleaning and walked those stairs for the last time.
              I lost one of the cats a couple months ago and it was very hard to deal with. That cat's sister had a difficult time adjusting to his loss. but she made the move better and easier than I did.

              Comment


                #8
                So glad you're doing all right, Virginia! But losing weight when you're already thin doesn't seem good. Maybe after the strain of the recent family tragedy lets up a bit more, you will put the weight back on.

                jingle, if you can find the things you need, the rest of the jumble the movers made can just sit there until you are ready to deal with it, or at least that's how I'd look at it. Virginia is so right about movers.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Jingle, so sorry you lost one of your cats. I know that was hard for you. Are you going to get another one? I am glad the one you still have seems to be adapting well. I often think of downsizing. I think I waited just a little too long. I doubt that I could withstand another move. I know what you mean about the HOA having big plans. Ours just did, and there is talk that there is to be another phase. I hope it is not real soon. I don't even go in my upstairs anymore. When you posted about stairs it reminded me that I need to go up there and dust and check on everything.

                  Agate, it should be about time for you to get your internet back. Hope you don't have to wait the rest of the weekend.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Century Link estimates that Internet service will be back at 7 PM Monday but their estimates do change. I call them periodically and get email updates.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Still using my phone here but this news might be of interest.

                      Another MS board is shutting down, as of October, unless funding materializes. Since it's the only such board that still has quite a few active members, maybe some of its stranded people will wander over here.

                      Just a thought.

                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Agate, I wish they would just wonder on over from Another MS Board. If I remember correctly the format is similar enough to ours that they shouldn't have a problem with learning their way around here.

                        I hope Tim is alright and not suffering any bad consequences from all his dental problems.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Will wonders never cease! After nearly 7 days, it looks as if the Internet is back for me. Now I can breathe more easily.

                          Virginia, we may not be talking about the same MS board. It's the one that was announced as the MS Society's board of choice some years ago. I'm not sure that it's still the "recommended" board but it still has some people on it, more than we have.

                          I wish I knew a way of reminding them that we're here for them but unfortunately I don't know of one. There are a couple of methods I've seen used but they caused big trouble for the people involved.

                          (Now if this post actually goes through, I'm going to celebrate. The Internet has been really odd in recent days. Sometimes I could see a couple of Webpages but not do anything. Sometimes I could look at the email inbox but not open any messages or send any. Most of the time the whole scene just wasn't there except on the phone.)


                          EDiTED TO ADD:

                          Jubilation! it actually posted!

                          Last edited by agate; 08-05-2024, 12:02 PM.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Congratulations on getting your internet.

                            That was not the MS board I was thinking of. However, is it against protocol to just go on and say something like: I heard this board is no longer going to be here. We have a few people at BrainTalk and would love for you to join us. Then give the URL to get to us.
                            Virginia

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Giving the URL is what would have to happen but that's what gets people into trouble. At least one person here on BT was banned a while back for posting a URL to one of the "splinter group" boards. You'll probably remember which one.

                              I'm fairly sure that there would be a ban at the board that is closing down. However, I'm still registered there (since 2003) and found that there is at least one person still there that I've "known" online for years, and she is one of the admins there. Maybe I can approach her somehow though the board disabled its private messaging system years ago.

                              I did put up a post saying how sorry I am to see the place go. People with MS don't need to lose any means of communicating with the world.

                              There is a link to my little MS Speaks message-board-that-was in my Profile at that board, and if anyone clicking on it might realize that it has been used as the BrainTalk backup board. I'll try to post more often on the board that is going away soon.

                              Someone might come up with funding for them, and they might not shut down after all. Miracles do happen.

                              They don't seem to happen here at BrainTalk but hope springs eternal...
                              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X