Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lipid measures are associated with cognitive functioning in multiple sclerosis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lipid measures are associated with cognitive functioning in multiple sclerosis

    Highlights


    •
    Growing evidence links dyslipidemia to cognitive outcomes in MS patients.


    •
    Study analyzed 211 MS patients with 361 timepoints over 15 years.


    •
    Elevated LDL-C correlates with lower cognitive performance in MS.


    •
    Higher HDL-C is associated with lower PASAT-3 scores in MS patients.


    •
    Adverse lipid profiles impact cognitive function in MS, independent of brain atrophy.



    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

    #2
    Interesting. Some years ago there was some excitement about a possible improvement in MS if one of the cholesterol-lowering drugs was prescribed--simvastatin. I'm not sure why that statin drug was chosen because there are several other statins (I take atorvastatin, for instance) but maybe there was something about simvastatin in particular.

    For instance, there was this:

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    Looks as if the experts are still exploring a connection between MS and cholesterol.
    Last edited by agate; 09-16-2024, 09:09 AM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      There was, at one time, something about Zocor being helpful. There was also a third one that XoXo took.
      Virginia

      Comment


        #4
        I recall that xoxo (Mark) took CoQ 10 but can't recall other drugs or supplements he might have been taking.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #5
          He also took a statin. He said it was a high dose.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #6
            I'd forgotten that. He was on Copaxone, at least for a while. He was woodrow here before he was xoxo or was it xoxo++?

            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #7
              His name was Mark and he changed it when the board went down one time. I wasn't aware that he went by Woodrow.
              Virginia

              Comment


                #8
                Do you recall that he returned a few years ago just to say Hi, and it turned out that he had married a neurologist? I seem to recall that the neurologist was Russian.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yes, I do remember him stopping by. I wish he would stop in again.
                  Virginia

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X