Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cognitive and Psychological Functions in Relapsing–Remitting Multiple Sclerosis:

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cognitive and Psychological Functions in Relapsing–Remitting Multiple Sclerosis:

    Abstract


    Background and Objectives:

    To compare the cognitive functions and trait anxiety in patients diagnosed with relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) to those of matched healthy controls (HCs). In addition, the study aims to investigate the correlations among cognitive functions, anxiety, depression, and quality of life (QOL) in this clinical population.
    Methods:

    The sample included RRMS patients (n = 21) and an equal number of age-, education-, and sex-matched HCs. Participants were assessed on the Indian version of the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-IV, auditory and visual learning and memory, and visual–spatial construction and memory. RRMS patients were also assessed for levels of anxiety, depression, and their QOL. Comparative analyses between RRMS patients and HCs were carried out for neuropsychological assessments. Correlations among cognitive functions, anxiety, depression, and QOL in RRMS patients were examined.
    Results:

    RRMS patients showed significant deficits across various cognitive domains, including processing speed and verbal learning, compared to HCs (P < 0.05). In addition, they reported higher levels of trait anxiety compared to HCs (P < 0.01), along with moderate state anxiety and mild depression. A significant correlation among anxiety, depression, and QOL was observed in RRMS patients.
    Conclusions:

    This study highlights significant cognitive impairments and psychological distress experienced by RRMS individuals, underscoring the critical need for comprehensive care addressing both cognitive impairments and psychological distress to enhance QOL.

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

    #2
    It figures, doesn't it? If parts of your body just stop working right for no clear reason, and keep doing that, while new problems keep coming your way, most people would find that unsettling enough for their cognitive functioning to go haywire too. Nothing like episodes of numbness and paralysis to make a person wonder if anything can be trusted to work right, ever.

    I wonder what the authors mean by "trait anxiety." "Moderate state anxiety" may mean "anxiety in a moderate state"?

    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      Using Copilot AI


      What is state and trait anxiety



      Copilot

      State anxiety is like a lightning bolt ⚡—it’s a temporary, intense feeling of stress or fear triggered by a specific situation, like giving a speech or taking an exam. Once the situation passes, so does the anxiety.
      Trait anxiety, on the other hand, is more like a thunderstorm ️ that lingers. It refers to a person' s general tendency to perceive various situations as threatening, leading them to experience anxiety more frequently and consistently.



      Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

      Comment


        #4
        Thank you!

        When you say you used Copilot AI, is that what comes up nowadays when a person does a Google search? I've noticed that Google searches work a little differently lately and wondered if that was the Copilot AI that has been mentioned here and there.

        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #5
          Copilot comes up on my computer to the point that it becomes annoying. I just always click it off. I use Microsoft. I don't know if other browsers use it that much or not.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #6
            It comes up when I use Microsoft edge. I mostly use Firefox.
            Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
            the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

            Comment


              #7
              Makes sense, I am using Microsoft Edge.
              Virginia

              Comment


                #8
                I guess I haven't found Copilot coming up in Chrome, but it seems to be there whether I like it or not. It doesn't seem to be an option. It's just a change in the way Google searches are working.

                Or else I just haven't found it....
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment

                Working...
                X