Today my (landline) phone rang and I answered it. I heard two voices carrying on a conversation. I kept saying "Hello?" but they didn't seem to hear me at all. I was so startled that I hardly heard what they were saying. Something about cards and something about someone named Anthony. I looked on my captioning phone to find out what I could about the call, and a number was given but no name or location.
I tried dialing the number twice. Each time I got a recording of piano music but no message, no chance to leave a message.
The conversation they were having sounded almost as if it could have been one or two of my neighbors. I asked around and looked up some phone numbers for neighbors but nothing matched.
I tried going to some of the Websites where you can look up someone's phone number and find out where a call was from and sometimes the name of the person whose phone it is. I've hardly ever done this but recalled that once I got a result without spending any money. This time the 3 sites I tried all would have wanted money. Some had a "free trial offer" but would have automatically charged my credit card about $30/month unless I cancelled. I hardly ever want this arrangement as it's too easy to forget to cancel the arrangement--and then the charge goes through, sometimes in advance of the date when you think it will.
There was someone in the building office today, for a wonder, and I asked her. She tried the same number and got the same music. She declared it was a marketing call.
So I'm wondering: Marketing what? Since I talked to no one and heard no marketing message, how could it be a marketing call?
Unless, of course, it's a trick that is being used to get people to sign up for those Websites I was trying in an effort to trace the phone number--where I'd probably have ended up paying for that service. They go through a lot of hocus-pocus about how hard they're working to find the data, and after all of that they show you a blurry image of the data they've supposedly found--and tell you to enter your credit card information and sign up for their service.
Has anyone had calls like this one? It wasn't exactly a robocall but I reported it anyway at the DoNotCall.gov Website.
I tried dialing the number twice. Each time I got a recording of piano music but no message, no chance to leave a message.
The conversation they were having sounded almost as if it could have been one or two of my neighbors. I asked around and looked up some phone numbers for neighbors but nothing matched.
I tried going to some of the Websites where you can look up someone's phone number and find out where a call was from and sometimes the name of the person whose phone it is. I've hardly ever done this but recalled that once I got a result without spending any money. This time the 3 sites I tried all would have wanted money. Some had a "free trial offer" but would have automatically charged my credit card about $30/month unless I cancelled. I hardly ever want this arrangement as it's too easy to forget to cancel the arrangement--and then the charge goes through, sometimes in advance of the date when you think it will.
There was someone in the building office today, for a wonder, and I asked her. She tried the same number and got the same music. She declared it was a marketing call.
So I'm wondering: Marketing what? Since I talked to no one and heard no marketing message, how could it be a marketing call?
Unless, of course, it's a trick that is being used to get people to sign up for those Websites I was trying in an effort to trace the phone number--where I'd probably have ended up paying for that service. They go through a lot of hocus-pocus about how hard they're working to find the data, and after all of that they show you a blurry image of the data they've supposedly found--and tell you to enter your credit card information and sign up for their service.
Has anyone had calls like this one? It wasn't exactly a robocall but I reported it anyway at the DoNotCall.gov Website.

Comment