Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple sclerosis appears to protect against Alzheimer’s disease

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Multiple sclerosis appears to protect against Alzheimer’s disease

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

    #2
    I hope that turns out to be true! I'm sure that most people with MS don't welcome any "comorbidities" but are probably going to develop some as time goes by.

    The comorbidity I would most dread having is probably Alzheimer's.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      I don't know how it could, but I had seen that. There should be some upside to this disease. Lately I have been so forgetful that I have wondered about myself.

      Virginia

      Comment


        #4
        I've been forgetful too. The things I forget often astonish me. I can't imagine how I could have forgotten some of them because they were so important.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #5
          With me it's longer 'on the tip of my tongue' moments, and an increase in getting sidetracked from an original aim.
          Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
          the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

          Comment


            #6
            After decades of filling our heads with information, it's as if our brains are reaching capacity. They can do only so much.Too bad we can't buy a memory stick and just add memory to our heads but we're not computers, I guess.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #7
              So very true re information..



              Yesterday wasn't a good day. F2F appointment re medical negligence claim was a disaster.Paramedics have lied through their teeth about my being in no pain,and cynically worded things so as to suggest they did everything correctly. However as my daughter says I’ve not lost anything.

              However my thought is if they can do this to me who else autistic and/or with a SMI will they feel empowered to do it to.
              We tend to die younger not just because of lifestyle but because we often don’t receive an acceptable level of help and support for our physical problems.

              Stigmatising attitudes towards people like myself aren't a new and rare thing,unfortunately.As my daughter and I said we should’ve made a written note of things at the time. That would certainly have helped with my not remembering precise details 37 months on from what happened.

              Something that had him asking how long I’d had dementia! It wasn’t the time and place to explain that as person with ASD, schizophrenia, and aphantasia my autobiographical memory has never been great. We just made it clear he was on the wrong track with that question.
              Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
              the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

              Comment


                #8
                Somewhere I heard of patients recording their sessions with doctors but that might not be legal. Maybe with the doctor's permission? Now I think the doctors themselves are recording those sessions but they do make it clear that they are doing that, or at least the ones I've seen do. If the doctors can record the sessions, maybe it's OK for the patients to do?

                It would at least give you a reference point, so you could refresh your memory of just what was said.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'm not that good when it comes to spotting sarcasm. Certainly not straight away. I'm now thinking he was being sarcastic with the 'dementia' question. He couldn't have been so unintelligent to actually think that was an OK thing to ask.
                  Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                  the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    If he said, "How long have you had dementia?" as I gather he did, I think I would have immediately said, "Where does it say I have dementia?" That would have obliged him to be more specific. Maybe he was looking at something in your file that shouldn't have been there. Somebody might have written that in there, and if so, you can probably take steps to correct that entry.

                    I've often been quite surprised when obtaining a copy of my medical record. There are often inaccuracies, and some of them really might matter in the type of care being provided.

                    It's not too late to ask that doctor how he got that idea. If he gets upset about being bothered by a "trivial" question from a patient, it's not a trivial question. Anyone would be concerned about that diagnosis and would question it, it seems to me. At least I would.

                    There may be people even in the medical profession who think that schizophrenia or ASD is dementia. There is a lot of ignorance in the world.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It was in response to my not being able to give precise details of what happened 37 months ago. All I remember is being in a lot of pain, and a paramedic being verbally aggressive.Then having to do exercises with the physio which I did my best to do despite being in immense pain. I'd have had the same difficulty in my early 20s re precise details. He would not be able to answer questions, as he was purely seeing me to get details about the falls, and how they've affected me.






                      Do you remember all the details of your last vacation? For some people, even the big events in their life are just a blur. This is called Severely Deficient Autobiographical Memory (SDAM). Severely Deficient Autobiographical Memory (SDAM) is a condition in which healthy people report a failure to re-experience or recollect specific events from their past, although their memory for factual information about themselves and the world is intact. People with SDAM know basic facts about their past, but they can't recall rich, vivid details of events. For example, you may know you went on a vacation but lack a richly detailed and vivid recollection of any events from that trip. In this 2021 Extreme Imagination Conference and Exhibition presentation, Brian Levine explores how some people can still lead a normal life despite their lack of clear memories. Levine investigates if this type of memory condition is common and related to the inability to imagine things visually or aphantasia.
                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...



                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                      Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        A person definitely does not need to have such a mental struggle--coping with those deficits--going on at the same time as dealing with difficult pain. I'm guessing that I would concentrate on getting rid of the pain and putting the cognition problems on a back burner but I may be overly pain-averse or whatever the term is.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I think your right.


                          What I thought deep down would happen, after the paramedics cynically lied, happened. The solicitors aren’t proceeding further with the case. It’s notoriously difficult for such a claim to succeed , whether started by a disabled person - or someone on their behalf. All through the case the paramedics heavy artillery has been focussed on me as a disabled person , dishonestly ignoring that it was my daughter that initiated the claim. Given that,
                          my being an autistic and schizophrenic person should have had no bearing on the case.
                          I’m now in a position where my ability to respect and trust the NHS has been severely damaged , but there are no viable and better alternatives to it.
                          On a much better note things went fine at the hospital yesterday re the polyps - ‘no signs of cancer’. I will be having another endoscopy in a fortnight or so’s time.

                          Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                          the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            That is good news about the endoscopy!

                            I seem to recall my sister saying she never wanted another endoscopy but that was years ago. Is it a difficult test to have? She was so intent on it that she refused to contact a doctor when she was visiting me, for fear that another one would be ordered up. She had promised family members that she would contact some doctor during that visit but she got balky about it.

                            She was 19 years older and a nurse, and so I didn't argue with her but often wondered what it was about the endoscopy that made her feel so strongly about it.



                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I have sedation when mine is done.
                              Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                              the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X