Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone stole my disabled placard!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Gabriella, there are those among us who are too tired to fight. I think Abby meant that of course you'd need to report the card as stolen, then go through channels toward getting it replaced. That can be done.

    "Any lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed plate, placard or ID card can be replaced.... Placards and ID card are replaced at no charge. Call any vehicle licensing agency for further instructions to obtain replacement plates, placard or ID card."
    --from the state of WA Dept. of Licensing Disabled Parking Information sheet

    My guess is that your state has a similar policy.

    It's probably good that people like yourself love a good fight. You're fighting some battles that will help the rest of us if you win. I appreciate what you're doing.

    But I myself would avoid the conflict just because conflict of any kind wears me down. I'd leave it up to the authorities to track down the placard that is being used illegally but I'd also make sure I reported the theft immediately.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #17
      I cannot go anywhere without a handicapped placard which I need in order to park in a handicapped space and roll... if I have to use my rollator or wheelchair that day... into the business. Agate, as I posted in the first entry, I immediately drove to the DMV and told the clerk mine was stolen and she issued me a new one that expires a year later than the one that was taken. (The stolen one cannot be cancelled). I also reported the thief as soon as I got back home. Evidently, neither you nor Abby read from the beginning of the thread.

      I test a 7.5 on the Kurtzke disability scale of 1 to 10. When a patient makes it to a 10 they are dead and I'm not dead yet so, I try to contribute as much as I can.

      This theft rates very low on the police priority scale as they have other more important crimes to solve in our suburban community. I just want to be the person who is willing to get involved to make our neighborhood safer and more accessible for the disabled. All this was not easy for me....in fact....it was very difficult as I am also very, very tired. Myasthenia Gravis has tripled my fatigue level and lack of strength over what the MS caused. I don't expect anyone to follow in my footsteps but being an advocate is just something that I can do from home with letters, phone calls, and e-mails. It all takes a lot of time and energy and on that day the effort it took to get another placard was all I could do and I went right to bed when I got home.

      I have found this discussion to be very informative as we have learned different states have different methods of helping the handicapped with placards.

      Gabriella
      Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-16-2012, 09:31 PM.
      Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
      Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

      "Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

      Comment


        #18
        I wasn't suggesting that you aren't tired. I was just saying that anyone who can fight a battle like that in spite of extreme fatigue has my admiration.

        It could be a long battle with a lot of tiresome paperwork. You might even need to appear in court--I don't know.

        We should all be grateful to you for being willing to pursue this.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #19
          I'm not in Maryland but here is what it say to do in that State

          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

          What should I do if my placard has been lost or stolen?

          If your placard has been lost or stolen:

          Report the lost or stolen placard or plates to the local law enforcement agency.
          Obtain the police report number from the local law enforcement agency.
          Fill out the applications for Maryland Parking Placards/License Plates for Individuals with a Disability VR-210 and Certified Statement/Receipt, DL-304. Include the police report number and the jurisdiction where the police report was taken.
          Visit your local MVA branch office or express office (for placards only) to receive your substitute placards or plates in person or, mail the completed form with the appropriate fees to the MVA Disability Unit. Do not mail cash. You do not have to complete Section C, the Disability Certification Information if you have previously provided this information to the MVA.
          Note: The Oakland office does not issue

          Abby
          Stand for something or you will fall for anything

          Comment


            #20
            I'm not in Maryland either but maybe someone here is.... It was much simplier to get my new placard and it didn't cost anything other than the $3.00 to laminate it.

            Gabriella
            Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM.
            Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
            Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

            "Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

            Comment


              #21
              And remember to lock the door

              Abby
              Stand for something or you will fall for anything

              Comment

              Working...
              X