Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I'm here. I've spent most of the day using Google Gemini to try and get somewhere with my family history research. I had to correct it about half a dozen times over mistakes it was making, re an image of marriage details I'd uploaded to it.

    Grocery shopping was delivered. I want to lose weight, so have started choosing lower calorie snacks and lunches.
    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

    Comment


      #17
      I'm here too. Still catching up on everything that didn't get taken care of while I was dealing with the laundry system abrupt changeover, the flood in the community room, my own plumbing problem, and two upcoming "eligibility reviews" that I go through every year but this year they are apt to be more of a problem than usual. And then there was the fire the other night.

      But on the plus side, the weather here has been perfectly beautiful for many days--highs in the low 80s. This may come to an end tomorrow with the high 90s in the forecast but I try not to believe forecasts.

      I now have a new MedicAlert bracelet, replacing the one I'd had since 1980. The old one was too large now and the information on it was hardly readable after such a long time. I thought I should update this since I no longer have a personal emergency repsonse system installed. It is just there, a bracelet on the wrist that never has to be removed, never needs any cleaning or resets or maintenance. It won't summon help but when help comes, they are supposed to consult that bracelet and call the number and take note of the information on the bracelet, which gives my blood type and says I have MS and diabetes and hearing loss. The information that goes on the bracelet is your choice.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #18
        I have one of those emergency response systems. It's going to be upgraded, as the UK phone line is switching to digital. I've had it since just after the falls I had. It's gone off accidentally a fair number of times, but so far not because I've had another fall. If I cancelled it it would be just my luck to have another fall soon after doing so.
        Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
        the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

        Comment


          #19
          Here is the meal plan I was talking about.

          Week 1 Dinner Plan
          Day Meal Notes
          Mon Spinach & Potato Curry with Rice Sauté onion, garlic, add curry paste, diced potato & canned white beans; stir in spinach.
          Tue Tuna & Veggie Pasta Bake As before: tuna, frozen veg, pasta, white sauce/fromage frais, cheese on top.
          Wed Chicken Stir-Fry with Frozen Veg & Brown Rice Quick fry chicken strips, mixed veg, soy sauce; serve over ready rice.
          Thu Baked Salmon with Roasted Sweet Potato & Broccoli Roast sweet potato cubes & broccoli, bake salmon with lemon & herbs.
          Fri One-Tray Chicken & Mixed Beans with Veg Tray-bake chicken thighs, canned kidney & black beans, carrots & peppers, oil & herbs.
          Sat Vegetable Omelette & Wholemeal Toast Whisk eggs with peas/mushrooms, cook as omelette; serve with toast.
          Sun Tomato & Kidney-Bean Soup with Wholemeal Rolls Simmer tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, onion, stock; blend lightly if you like smoother.



          Week 2 Dinner Plan
          Day Meal Notes
          Mon Quinoa & Roasted-Veg Salad with White Beans Roast veg, toss with cooked quinoa & canned white beans, dress with oil & vinegar.
          Tue Beef Mince Chilli Con Carne & Rice Brown mince with chilli powder, add tomatoes, kidney beans; serve on rice.
          Wed One-Pot Pasta with Spinach, Tomatoes & Black Beans Cook pasta in stock, stir in spinach, black beans & cherry tomatoes.
          Thu Baked Cod with New Potatoes & Green Beans Bake cod; boil new potatoes; steam green beans; finish with lemon & oil.
          Fri Sweet Potato & Black-Bean Quesadillas Roast/mash sweet potato, mix with black beans & cheese in wraps; grill until crisp.
          Sat Mushroom & Pea Risotto Sauté onion, add arborio rice, stir in stock bit by bit, finish with peas & a little cheese.
          Sun Chicken & Vegetable Stew with Mixed Beans Simmer chicken pieces, root veg, add kidney & black beans, stock & herbs.


          A budget and healthy alternative.


          Dinner
          Mon One‑pan chicken & veg traybake
          Tue Spaghetti with tomato & spinach sauce
          Wed Omelette with mushrooms & peppers
          Thu Jacket potato topped with baked beans* (opt‑out: cheese)
          Fri Beef mince + mixed‑veg stir‑fry + rice
          Sat Quick tomato pasta with grated cheese
          Sun Baked salmon (or frozen fish fillet) + roast veg


          Mon One‑tray salmon & potato wedges
          Tue Chicken & broccoli pasta
          Wed Beef mince chili* (swap beans for extra veg) + rice
          Thu Vegetable frittata (eggs, pepper, onion)
          Fri Stir‑fry chicken with mixed veg & noodles
          Sat Quick tomato‑spinach pasta
          Sun Baked cod (or white fish) + steamed veg
          * For a bean‑free chili: omit beans and add extra mushrooms, pepper, and carrots.


          There are no instructions with this one
          Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
          the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

          Comment


            #20
            Those sound like appetizing main meals. Are you on this diet, Tim? Do they include recipes for all of the dishes?

            Most diet plans include breakfast and lunch and even snacks. Those are up to you, or--?
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #21
              I was thinking the same thing! This is supposed to be a diet? Does your daughter or granddaughters still prepare your meals.


              One my way to bed. Talk to y'all later.
              Virginia

              Comment


                #22
                Those were what I got using A1. The first one I posted just gave dinners. The budget one also gave breakfast and lunch. My daughter makes meals for me from time to time.It depends how full my freezer is. My oldest granddaughter works in a school canteen/kitchen, and sometimes brings me left over food from there.

                Here are the breakfasts and lunches. I'd like to lose weight- as I'm about 35 kg overweight.


                Day Breakfast Lunch
                Mon Porridge (40 g oats) + sliced banana Ham & cheese sandwich; carrot sticks
                Tue Toast (2 slices) + peanut butter + apple Tuna mayo wrap; cucumber slices
                Wed Yogurt (150 g) + frozen berries Cheese & tomato toastie; side salad
                Thu Porridge + chopped apple & cinnamon Chicken salad (mixed leaves, carrot, tomato)
                Fri Scrambled eggs (2 eggs) on toast Tuna salad sandwich
                Sat Yogurt + sliced banana Leftover stir‑fry in wrap
                Sun Porridge + honey & berries Chicken & avocado sandwich





                Day Breakfast Lunch
                Mon Porridge + sliced pear Egg mayo sandwich; carrot sticks
                Tue Toast + smashed avocado + tomato Ham, cheese & salad wrap
                Wed Yogurt + granola Tuna & sweetcorn sandwich
                Thu Scrambled eggs on toast Leftover pasta
                Fri Porridge + peanut butter & banana Cheese & tomato toastie; side salad
                Sat Yogurt + frozen berries Chicken salad wrap
                Sun Toast + jam Leftover stir‑fry


                Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Tim, the only way I can lose weight is by counting calories--and making sure there's enough protein and fiber and not too much sodium. If I make up my mind just not to snack at all between meals, that helps too. I ruled out desserts entirely many years ago and try to be content with memories of all of the great desserts I've had in years past (my mother's rhubarb pie, someone else's pecan pie, flan at Mexican places, etc.). Because I've given up quite a bit, I feel entitled to treat myself to a daily snack of one cookie (or 2 fig newtons) and a small piece of chocolate (43 calories for the chocolate). I don't eat meat or poultry either but occasionally have shrimp or tuna or sardines.

                  A question for you--does "porridge" always mean oatmeal? Or can it mean other cooked cereals too? For years I thought it meant soup but apparently that was wrong.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    My main problem with calorie counting is getting obsessive about the precise calorific value of every food item I have. I prefer a points based method of dieting.

                    Porridge is any type of grain (cereal), seed or legume, and vegetable that is ground or chopped, then boiled in water or milk.
                    Last edited by Prot; 08-11-2025, 01:10 PM.
                    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Tim, can you look up Weight Watchers diets? I have a sister-in-law who has been "kind of" on their diet for many years. Back when she first went on the diet you had to go once a week and weigh in. She went the first time and weighed in and they wouldn't let her join because she wasn't overweight. She gained weight and went back and joined. She was determined to be in weight watchers. Now you can just sign up on line. My sister-in-law can look at a plate of food and tell how many points are on that plate. I also think she likes a lot of the recipes. My brother just rolls his eyes.

                      You said something about points and that is what they go by. I think you need to eat all the points allowed to you each day otherwise I guess you don't get all the protein and different vitamins you need. I am not very familiar with weight watchers diet but I know anytime she wants to lose some weight that is what she goes to. She says it is the only diet that has ever made sense to her.
                      Virginia

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Going once a week would be very difficult.
                        Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                        the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Years ago I used Weight Watchers in the online version and I agree that it might be an option for you, Tim. I didn't have to go anywhere. I didn't have to buy their food either though sometimes I did buy some of their frozen dinners.

                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            My sister-in-law only went in person when she first started on the diet. She no longer does that. I also have a friend who joined on line. She never went in person.
                            Virginia

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I've had a look. The points system looks good. The recipes too, but the downside is I lack the cooking skills to make them.
                              Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                              the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                If I remember right, I ignored their recipes and didn't buy much of their food. I used my own food choices and just used their calculation system. I don't know if that is still possible. You didn't have to stick to their food or their recipes at that time but this was about 10 years ago.
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X