Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS cognitive symptoms frighten me more than the physical ones

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16

    Thank you both. I'm not certain whether the surgeon would have any answers re the pain. Between the 13th of next month and 7th of November I'll be having an endoscopy, rheumatology appointment, and 4 follow up dental appointments. Then there's the weekly video appointments with the therapist. I saw my care coordinator on Wednesday to complete my personal wellness plan. She said I was born 50 years too early re the help and support I'd needed.

    I usually do online grocery orders if what the cost is is at least £40($54). Minimum spend for delivery is £25($33.50) but under £40 they charge you £7.00 for delivery. If It's under £40 that I need I ask my daughter to do a local grocery shop for me. At the moment I'm well stocked. 'New in' is new products.

    The genealogist is working on my surname. I should get results some time next month. My expectations are low, but he'll probably at least provide better results than previous genealogists my father and I used. They got money for old rope.
    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

    Comment


      #17
      That sounds like a very busy schedule coming up, Tim! Maybe you had no choice in the matter?

      If I have a choice, I try to schedule only one appointment a week. It can't always work out that way. I figured out that I do an average of 1.5 routine medical/dental appointments a month but that is the picture only when there are no problems that involve more appointments.

      As we get older, just keeping ourselves in working order (more or less) becomes a full-time job, doesn't it?



      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #18
        agate As I have to have help to get to the appointments it's depends on someone being able to take me.Prior to the falls I'd only been an inpatient in a general hospital, due to taking overdoses.
        Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
        the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

        Comment


          #19
          Can you find someone to take you? That's often been a question in my mind when it comes to my appointments as it might often be easier if someone took me but it's a big favor to ask of anyone (time, effort).

          Recently a neighbor put up a sign because she wanted someone to take her to an appointment for an infusion of a cancer drug she probably has to take from time to time. It would have been for most of the day--8 to 3, I believe she said. I have a feeling she didn't find anyone because all she was offering was a sandwich and a soda for lunch for the person.

          Not something many people would have the time to sign up for but sad.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #20
            My daughter takes me the vast majority of the time, but she has to fit it in with her job as a branch manager of a home care agency . Due to my mobility issues a wheelchair is used when going for appointments.
            Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
            the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

            Comment


              #21
              Tim, every time I'm inclined to envy the people who have someone who is willing to take them to medical appointments and back, I realize that the way I get transported actually has its advantages. I'm not dependent on some one person who has plenty of other commitments. It would complicate the scheduling quite a bit.

              Or maybe a lot of it is just what you're used to. For over 40 years now almost all of my transportation has been through a local paratransit system. For about 20 of those years I did have a helper but I still rode on the transit system for rides the helper couldn't do--when there was no helper available, for instance. That did happen sometimes. I went through quite a number of helpers--about 15. They tended to move on to better-paying jobs or they had other commitments. Just about any job would have been better-paying than the job working for me.

              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #22
                Even if far more mobile than I am I'd struggle to get to places on my own. With the mobility issues I do have I can only walk short distances unaided. I would have to take my stroller with me if I went to places independently. And even then it would be walk a short distance then rest walk a short distance then rest etc. So impractical . I've not been outside on my own for a walk since Oct 2021.


                Received the genealogy report . Nothing definite.Lots of 'Could be'. Can't justify paying equivalent of $705 for another round of research.
                Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Tim, I empathize with you. It is frustrating to not get from point A to point B without help. I also take my rollator even just to get to my car. I feel lucky to have a rollator I can get down my steps (so far). I haven't been out of my house in over 5 weeks. I am due for an appointment tomorrow and I have to go alone. I am anxious.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Virginia, I hope your appointment goes as well as possible. Do you have any techniques for lessening your anxiety?
                    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      That is a problem I've noticed with being at home so much--when I do need to go out somewhere, it's like a major expedition to me. Maybe it's just so unusual that I build it up into a bigger deal than it needs to be.

                      But when going out there is so much to remember: making sure my hearing aids aren't about to fall out, making sure I have both types of glasses (my regular glasses and the rx sunglasses), having things in my handbag that I need (necessary cards, information about rides and destination, keys), getting the front-door clicker, making sure the cellphone has a charged battery and is on, putting on a mask, making sure I have the security codes for a garage or a restroom, seeing that I have a few sugar-free throat drops in case I get too hoarse, and putting the transit system ID badge around my neck so a driver can identify me. It's a lot for my aging brain to retain.

                      Then I need to turn the cellphone ringer off by the time I reach the appointment and remember to turn it back on when I leave. I tend to get a lot of wrong-number calls for someone named Richard, who must have had my number previously. For years I've been blocking his callers and deleting his calls but they are persistent. They're all trying to sell him something or to collect money he may owe them.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Well, I went yesterday. It was good to be out. The weather was near perfect. However, it was very taxing. I went to get a haircut and enjoyed seeing two of the girls in there. The one who does my hair commented on the fact that she thinks I have lost more weight. Right now it wouldn't do any good to get on any scales because my feet are more swollen than they have been in a long time. However I felt that the rest of me looked too thin - my face and I had to put on two different pair of slacks before I got to any I could keep up.

                        After leaving there I stopped at a little grocery shop on the way home and picked up some bananas and bread and a little yogurt. I figured I could always order some groceries.

                        Then I went to the pharmacy and picked up 4 prescriptions. I stopped on the way home and picked up a sandwich for last night.

                        That is all I did and still I was just completely worn out. I stayed in bed really late this morning trying to get over it.

                        Both brothers are sick and that doesn't make me feel any better.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #27
                          That sounds like a very active day to me, Virginia! It sounds to me as if you went to four different places and probably drove there, had to park, get in and out of the car, and get yourself into those places and possibly wait around. Maybe I expect too little of myself but I can't imagine doing all that any more.

                          Do you have any idea why you've been losing weight? I've seen photos of you and you're certainly not overweight in them.

                          I'm so sorry your brothers aren't well. I hope it isn't serious.

                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            You did well doing all that,Virginia. It's much more than I usually do.
                            Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                            the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              It's so nice to have a string of days when the sun is shining and it's only about 70' at most. You have to love spring and fall.
                              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I do not know why I am losing weight. My slacks are practically hanging on me and it is so difficult for me to get in and out of places, plus I couldn't stand on anything while they pin them. So I haven't taken any to get them taken up. If I bought new ones it would be the same and I would have to order them since I no longer can get arround in a department store. I am eating all I can.
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X