Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    It seems unfair to charge a fee for using a credit card. I use a credit card when I can't afford to pay a bill. The credit card charges me a 30% annual interest charge. So I'm already being charged for using a credit card. Why should I be charged again? It seems like a penalty for not having enough money.

    My historian former husband sometimes reminded me that people who couldn't pay their bills were put in debtors' prison back in the old days.

    Yes, things have improved greatly since then.

    I get a "reward" from one credit card in the form of credit I can use for buying things (clothes mainly) from an online merchant whose name is on the card. I've bought some nice clothes using that credit. So I shouldn't complain.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #32
      I use my debit card much more than my credit card. I do think you are penalised financially if you're on a low income. Money saving options tend to increase the more well off you already are.
      Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by Prot View Post
        I use my debit card much more than my credit card. I do think you are penalised financially if you're on a low income. Money saving options tend to increase the more well off you already are.
        Odd but very true. Or maybe not so odd. Old saying: "Them that has, gets."

        Medical care is a case in point here across the pond. Nowadays you're probably not going to get much medical care unless you have insurance but even then there's a higher level of care you can get if you can afford it--"concierge care." You get all kinds of advantages, like same-day or next-day scheduling and no wait times. The cost for it varies from $1,500 to $5,000/year.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #34
          I'm very much against the moral bankruptcy of healthcare dictated by personal income. The criminality of a diabetic dying because they couldn't afford the insulin is every bit as immoral as a person being shot to death.
          Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
          the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

          Comment


            #35
            jingle, I have one of those "reward" credit cards too. Whenever there isn't enough money during the month, I use the credit card to pick up the slack. I don't like doing that and do as little charging as possible, but over time those purchases add up to dollars I can spend on clothes or something else at the merchant whose name is on the card.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #36
              OK ------------- I'm an old, grumpy, mostly empty chatter but - gee - I don't like an empty board. So, I'm posting. It's another very warm day in Missouri. It's raining north of us. We need some rain here. Maybe we'll get some tomorrow.
              Agate, my bank didn't like how many checks I was writing so they asked me to take a debit card - easier, faster and cheaper for them. I now use a debit card. I like it.

              Comment


                #37
                jingle, you've got the right idea. The only cure for an empty board is to fill it up by posting there. The space is available--why not use it?

                I write a check only for rent and for grocery deliveries. I pay all other bills using the Website for my bank, where I have the usual payees already entered and I just go to "Pay bills." The payments go through in a few days or less, often the next day.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #38
                  I have stayed away because I don't think I'm wanted here after my previous post.
                  Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                  the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    First -- Prot, I sure didn't find your previous post offensive at all. And if you ever did write something I found offensive .... well, each of us is entitled to our own opinion and, in my opinion (lol), should either ignore that post or try to write a calm, polite reply.
                    agate, now I don't write many checks either. My rent is automatically taken from my check account. Same for credit card statement. The bill for electricity goes to a credit card account. I write a check at church.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      I use my debit card much more than my credit card. If there's paypal I'll use that..
                      Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X