Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt as Trigger for MS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Salt as Trigger for MS

    Research recently published explains how dietary salt is a trigger for auto-immune disease.

    Here: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

    #2
    Wow, thanks Ann. Darn mice again, but it does make sense.
    I've never had to watch my salt before, but I shall certainly
    start. A little late perhaps. I never add salt to my meals, but
    I eat mostly Schwans stuff now and it's probably loaded? I'll
    check that out.
    Love, Sally


    "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






    Comment


      #3
      Sigh. I had a feeling I was going to end up having to turn into one of those hunter-gatherers everyone is so keen on. Giving up salt is another step in that direction, apparently.

      I won't be giving it up until some more evidence comes in though.

      Sally, I think that Schwan's has a section called "LiveSmart" where they offer food with minimal sodium.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        I don't know if it matters now that it is already "triggered." it is worth discussing at our next appointments.

        I am thinking, "Everything in moderation." I can't imagine a tomato w/o some salt. If it was a cure, I'd stop it immediately.

        It's a different kind of trigger than I ever imagined.
        ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

        Comment


          #5
          Yes Agate, I do eat mostly Livesmart items, I hope that's a good thing??
          I don't think salt is my MS problem. I never have liked things to salty.
          I think everything can be a trigger for illness, if abused and overused.
          Love, Sally


          "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






          Comment


            #6
            Looks as if the recommended daily sodium intake is 2,300 mg/day if you're under 51, and if you're 51 or over, it's only 1,500 mg/day:

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

            Sally, if you're concerned about the LiveSmart food, you could try adding up your total sodium intake for some typical days and see how you're doing. Some of the LiveSmart vegetables seem to have more sodium than other similar frozen vegetables but some of the other foods in the LiveSmart section don't seem especially high in sodium. Of course it would all depend on how much sodium you're getting in the rest of your food for the day.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #7
              That's a bummer.
              I was raised in a very low fat. low salt household.
              I cook w/almost no salt.
              When the salt Jones hit I wonder if it is because of lack of salt.

              No mention of iodized salt.
              Since I was dx'd as hypothyroidiculous a few weeks ago
              I've had iodine on my mind.

              Bull dog, bad dog, bow wow wow. Eeeee-ly Yale.
              A shout out to Yale-New Haven.

              Comment


                #8
                Regular salt it would not surprise me, thats why I use sea salr, it has all the minerals the body has so I don't see it doing any harm and it taste so different

                Abby
                Stand for something or you will fall for anything

                Comment


                  #9
                  Well, table salt is usually iodized, and the added iodine can be helpful in preventing goiter:

                  Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Sea salt may be healthier than table salt

                    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                    Abby
                    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Then there is the Himalayan Pink Crystal Salt, with 83 minerals

                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                      Come on foilks you really want to use a salt that has only ONE mineral and it the Iodine they put back in

                      Abby
                      Stand for something or you will fall for anything

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X