Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could This Be The MS hug?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Could This Be The MS hug?

    Last night, I was ready to call the para meds. I thought I was
    having a heart attack. My chest and stomach was all tight and
    it felt like I had something stuck in my throat and wouldn't go
    down. I've had this before but not quite this bad or for that long.

    I finally fell asleep and when I woke, a few hours later, whatever
    was stuck went down and I didn't feel the intense pressure. So.
    thinking "good, I didn't have a heart attack, relaxed and went
    back to sleep.

    This morning, although I felt better, I still had the tightness
    around the chest and stomach. Sometime later, it occurred
    to me that this could be the hug? Either that, or I'm still
    working on an HA. I could breath fine and didn't feel sick or
    dizzy, so my brain told me that this was not a HA, so must be
    the Evil Hug..

    Does anyone know what triggers the "Hug" and if there is any
    relief for it? ...It has been at least 15 years since I had the Hug.
    I wonder if this means, that I'm getting better in reverse?
    Love, Sally


    "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost







    #2
    A flare, a naughty lesion?
    Are you experiencing some unpleasantness in your life
    that you are keeping under wraps to yourself?

    Hey, smoking riled up my hug.

    Noooooo. I know your body is your holy place-
    and your disco.

    Perhaps a chat with a doc you trust will ease your mind and body.

    -r

    Comment


      #3
      What would I do without you Renee..
      Love, Sally


      "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






      Comment


        #4
        Sally, I have not had the hug (yet, knock wood and Thank God). I guess though that this could be what happened to you. However, since women often have different symptoms from men when having a heart attack, don't you think it might be a good idea to talk to your Doctor and let them know what happened. If it has not completely gone away I surly would do that, and if it ever does it again I think it would be a good idea.
        Virginia

        Comment


          #5
          It could be the MS "hug" or it could be heart related.....To be certain a talk with your doc as others have said would maybe answer the question for you. I have the hug on a regular basis and for me it is a tightning right under the "girls" and encircles my back ...I also have a heart valve problem so it is a quess at best.

          It is better to be safe and talk with an expert.

          Blessings,
          Gabriella
          Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
          Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

          "Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

          Comment


            #6
            Of course, you are all right and I know it, but I've never had any kind of
            heart trouble or high blood pressure or anything that points to an HA,
            so, unless the pain and discomfort come back, I choose to not, rush
            to the Docs and worry my Family for nothing!!

            What I feel now, is very much what Gabriella described and it is only
            slight now... no pain nor indigestion. Just had a nice big lunch and
            feel great. If it returns, I will call 911. I told DD and she agreed
            with me. I really hate to go to the Doc's, unless absolutely
            necessary.

            I love you guys.
            Last edited by SalpalSally; 09-04-2013, 10:21 AM.
            Love, Sally


            "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






            Comment


              #7
              ((((Sally)))) Hope you're feeling better. I agree that it's better to be safe and go see a doctor if there is the slightest question in your mind. You sound alot like me and want to avoid doctors at all costs, but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and go get checked out.
              Don't ya just hate it?

              I'm not a doctor, but I think there is a blood test that checks for enzymes that are produced by the body if there has been a heart "incident". They can also do an EKG/ECG (electrocardiogram). Both the enzyme test (a simple blood draw) and the ECG (just wires and electrodes) are easy noninvasive tests.

              Be a brave girl and do it.

              Joan
              (I believe you ARE getting better in reverse, younger too!

              Comment


                #8
                Joan, you are so wise!

                Love you, Sally!
                ANN
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'm sure now that, I did not have an HA, but had an esophageal spasm.
                  I am fine now and Thank you all for being here for me. Ann, no worries.

                  Heart Attack Signs in Women
                  1. Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
                  2. Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
                  3. Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
                  4. Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
                  5. As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.

                  If you have any of these signs, don’t wait more than five minutes before calling for help. Call 9-1-1 and get to a hospital right away.

                  Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                  Love, Sally


                  "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                  Comment


                    #10
                    ((((((Sally))))))

                    I'm so glad that you are feeling better. I noticed you mentioned not wanting to worry your family needlessly and saw this statement in the article you referenced:


                    Even though heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women, women often chalk up the symptoms to less life-threatening conditions like acid reflux, the flu or normal aging.

                    “They do this because they are scared and because they put their families first,” Goldberg said. “There are still many women who are shocked that they could be having a heart attack.”


                    A few years ago, a friend of our family died of a heart attack. She was a very healthy, fit nurse in her late 50's, and she thought she had the flu.

                    A home health nurse, in his mid-40's, with our agency thought he had indigestion, took some Rolaids, sat out on his patio in a chair, and died of a heart attack.

                    My dental hygienist, 58, died in May. Took a walk with her hubby after dinner, came home, thought she had indigestion, died in her sleep from a heart attack.

                    All three people had excellent health insurance and access to superior medical care. And they were medical professionals.

                    I remember Rosie O'Donnell describing her heart attack as a "pulled muscle" in her shoulder, after she had assisted with lifting a rather large woman, who had fallen. Rosie took an aspirin, then began to research heart attack on the computer. She waited until the next day to see her doctor, and fortunately, she survived, but he scolded her for not going to the ER immediately.

                    My theory is that knowledge is power. A non-emergency thorough check up with your physician might give you peace of mind, or it might identify something lurking, which you could have addressed/treated, before it became a problem.

                    A very dear friend of mine took herself to the ER, because she thought she was having a heart attack. She called me from the ER, asking me what certain tests were for and what she should expect, as well as to contact her son for her. Turned out that she was having an adverse reaction to Fosamax. She called me with that great news and apologized to me for worrying me needlessly.

                    I told her that I would rather worry about her needlessly than to lose her needlessly, if she hadn't gone to the ER, and it had been a heart attack.

                    Sending loving, healing thoughts your way, Sally ~ take good care of yourself.

                    Love & Light,

                    Rose
                    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      About the time of moving 3 years ago I would have pain across my back (just below the shoulders) several times. I do have a bad back. The last time it included the chest area. Freaked out a bit. Took a couple aspirins. Went to the emergency at the clinic, given some pills. But getting into a doctor proved more difficult than I thought. DH's cousins who were nurses pulled a couple of strings and I got an appt with a cardiologist who worked in their hospital. That test that involves radiation (can't remember the name) indicated that the blood had difficulty going through the heart.

                      I know that there is a blood test to check for enzymes. Both my mom and a cousin had it. But for some reason they apparently don't do it here. I wasn't given a blood test at the time of the episode. My DH was when he had his scare. I don't know the blood test needed.

                      To date I'm not 100% sure I had HA or if it was coincidence.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        good god, finally returned to brain talk to say thanks to all who shared knowledge re tecfidera (p.s. decided to return to avonex with its tried and true history)

                        so i log on immediately and happen on this thread -- having just had an MS hug -- but also specific involvement in chest -- had major hug in and numbness of all arm -- went to urgent care dept. and wheeled over to ER -- it felt like a medieval laying on of stones to confirm witch determination -- pardon the denial and poor humor -- spent 3 days in ICU and given every possible cardiac exam -- my diagnosing doc didn't need me to finish story -- telling me that it was my first attack -- [emergeny staff apparently had not take Neurology 101] -- thus i learned about the MS "hug" -- thoracic lesions acting up --

                        so i'm a bit less panicked at the moment -- but scared to get up -- yes, a bit shaken up and frightened --

                        all this while dealing with serious vertigo bouts --

                        other than this, i'm as fit as a fiddle --

                        fiddlingly yours,
                        agent 107

                        Comment


                          #13
                          p.s. glad you're all well, sally!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X