Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebif and Hypothyroidism

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rebif and Hypothyroidism

    Hello everyone,
    I have been a follower on this site for years. I was here before this site shut down and was extremely happy to see it return. Over the pass 10 years I have listened and learned so much from so many. Now it's my turn to contribute.
    When I was initially diagnosed with MS my Neuro prescribed Betaseron. After two years I discontinued Betaseron due to extreme fatigue. My supervisor at my job did not allow nap time. Eight years later my main symptoms, mostly cognitive became so severe they prevented me from being a productive employee. I run back to a Neuro and she puts me on Rebif. That was exactly one year ago. I had a blood test for my Liver and Thyroid one month after starting Rebif and my levels were fine. One year later and my TSH levels are off the chart and I'm diagnosed with Hypotyhroidism. My Endo believes it is most likely caused by the interferon Rebif. So the medication prescribed to help one chronic disease creates another. Another pill (I am presently taking eight different pills a day) I have to take every day and another test every three months till death due us part.
    I am doing so well since starting Rebif I'm not sure if quitting is worth the risk. I will still have to stablize and supplement my thyroid.
    I would love to know if anyone else has had this experience with an Interferon and what if anything can help.

    #2
    Hi Hartsonfire, and welcome back!

    I don't recall your user name--maybe you had a different name earlier?

    Or maybe my memory isn't perfect.

    I haven't tried Rebif but I did look it up and find that thyroid problems are listed as a possible adverse reaction. My impression is that hypothyroidism can be usually be controlled with medical measures.

    Is your endocrinologist in favor of stopping Rebif right away?
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      Many of our medications can have adverse effects but one needs to weight the benefit of the med (in this case Rebif) against the potential of going off it and having more neurological damage. Right now, we don't have a lot of easy fixes for neurological damage but there are quite easy remedies for hypothyroidism.

      Also, if one has MS, it is quite probable to have another auto-immune disorder like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, diabetes, or Hypothyroidism that have virtually nothing (as far as we know) to do with the medications used to treat the initial disorder.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks so much for your response. My Endo is completely against going off Rebif. He is aware of the risk. He is not so much concerned with why I have Hypothyroidism, he simply wants to stabilize the hormones. At least now I know how I gained 20 lbs in one year.

        Comment


          #5
          ((((((Hartsonfire)))))) ~

          I have no experience with MS, but my son was diagnosed with hypothyroid in 2005, and I've researched extensively on the condition.

          When my son was able to consume real food (now on G Tube formula), we avoided sugar, soy, and corn, and were able to keep his thyroid levels in a normal range. My son is taking a drug, known to stimulate hypothyroidism, but we could manage it with diet.

          I strongly recommend that you research, using Google, foods to eat and avoid with hypothyroidism.

          Mary Shomon is a thyroid guru, with great experience and information:

          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

          Most doctors prescribe Synthroid. It's wise to check out Synthroid before you take it, with regard to interactions and side effects. My son cannot manage Synthroid for a variety of reasons, including his Dilantin for seizures.

          Explore your options for treating your hypothyroid and choose what is best for you.

          Love & Light,

          Rose
          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

          Comment


            #6
            Interesting. My DX of hypothyroidism came while I was on Rebif.
            Off Rebif, still on levothyroxine.
            Should talk to doc about that.

            Then again... my cat has been dx'd w/hyperthyroid so perhaps as a sign
            of solidarity I should just acknowledge my place in our pack of two.

            Interesting.

            Comment

            Working...
            X