Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controversial report indicates little evidence to support long-term benefits of DMT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Controversial report indicates little evidence to support long-term benefits of DMT

    There seems to be some controversy about a recent report coming from the US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The article includes a comment indicating "that meager information exists to guide patients and their physicians in making decisions about discontinuing DMTs. The authors stated that there's little evidence suggesting long-term harms are any greater than short-term harms for patients taking DMTs. Similarly, they stated that there's little evidence supporting long-term benefits from DMTs for patients with relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS)."

    Included in the article is this statement by Dr. Rosalind Kalb of the National MS Society:

    It's not that anyone is saying anything bad, but I think it's very easy for people to make the wrong assumption that the absence of positive data is the same as negative data, which is what's happening in this paper. We shouldn't confuse those two things," said Rosalind Kalb, PhD, vice president of clinical care at the National MS Society, in an interview....

    ...
    "It's just too easy for the paper to be misused or misconstrued as evidence that continuing treatment isn't helpful," Kalb continued. "We just don't know yet. We should be just saying we don't know this. They say it, it's embedded in the paper, but the structure of the paper and the title of the paper don't go along with that conclusion."


    The MedPage Today article (November 17) includes a link to the actual report and can be seen Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register....

    Last edited by agate; 12-05-2014, 11:36 AM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    Thanks for posting this, Agate! Very timely for me.

    I understand why there might have been controversy, the questions they were seeking to answer seem peculiar.

    I think we all are quite aware that an absence of evidence is not evidence of the opposite, not sure why he emphasizes that, I especially think most doctors and researchers would know this already. I suspect many of our doctors are of the opinion that it's better to have us on something than nothing so long as the risks aren't high, absent evidence to the contrary. They'd rather have something to offer us than nothing when there is a possibility it may help. Perhaps big pharma takes advantage of this vacuum by not filling it with concrete evidence of the status of those who stop the meds?
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

    Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

    Comment


      #3
      I've had MS since 1998. I've never taken any DMT. I've had two exacerbations, both in the first year since DX. Yet today, I'm more disabled than I was after recovering from that second exacerbation. So the MS is slowly doing damage very quietly. No exacerbations, but silent progression. Don't stop your DMT just because of this silly report.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #4
        What Howie said!!!!
        Love, Sally


        "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Howie View Post
          I've had MS since 1998. I've never taken any DMT. I've had two exacerbations, both in the first year since DX. Yet today, I'm more disabled than I was after recovering from that second exacerbation. So the MS is slowly doing damage very quietly. No exacerbations, but silent progression. Don't stop your DMT just because of this silly report.
          Howie,
          My disease course is like yours. Maybe one or two attacks ( one which led to doctors and diagnosis) but then periods of good and periods of bad but no clear attacks. Just slow and very steady progression. Progressive relapsing.
          Last edited by Lazarus; 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM.
          Linda~~~~

          Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

          Comment


            #6
            My progression is so slow, I don't have a firmly pronounced disease path.
            I am consequently treated as an RR.
            My 18th year MS anniversary was this week.

            Light flares are largely due to stress.
            Personal relationships are a big factor.

            Comment


              #7
              Say WHAT?!?

              Originally posted by Howie View Post
              ...I've never taken any DMT...Don't stop your DMT...
              Originally posted by SalpalSally View Post
              What Howie said!!!!

              People seem to forget – or be unaware of the fact in the first place – that MS is really nothing but a "disease model"...



              ...At least in rats (AKA "most cases")




              Those of you pushing your so-called "DMTs" should probably offer more proof to go along with your cheerleading on the topic.

              Otherwise, you should probably keep your opinions to yourselves.

              Comment


                #8
                And I am a Victorias secret model w/meat on her bones.

                If I could dump some of my disease associated drugs and medical supplies
                I would love to ditch medicaid NY.
                The circus jumps, hassles, paperwork, confrontations from a single faulty Medicaid
                computer entry are a lot of work.
                Oh, to not have that dependence on the state.
                The less i need the easier it would be.

                I always traveled light and this agitates me tremendously.
                The money the gov would save if they kept it simple and stopped throwing it into black holes
                of waste, bureaucracy, catering to pharma companies.

                Traveling light with a backpack, credit card and a little money.
                Wheelchair use has been an enormous shock in some ways eighteen years into it.

                I keep looking at mini houses to put on a piece of land near a lake.
                Thoreau, here I come!
                Last edited by renee; 12-10-2014, 05:22 AM. Reason: because I am contradictory!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Exacerbator View Post
                  People seem to forget – or be unaware of the fact in the first place – that MS is really nothing but a "disease model"......At least in rats (AKA "most cases")

                  Those of you pushing your so-called "DMTs" should probably offer more proof to go along with your cheerleading on the topic.

                  Otherwise, you should probably keep your opinions to yourselves.
                  Believe me, no one here is pushing DMTs...UGH!!!! However if you are on one
                  and it seems to be working for you, then don't stop it because of this article.
                  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, stupid."
                  Love, Sally


                  "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                  Comment


                    #10
                    Sally, I've never had anyone on my "ignore" list...until now. Use it.
                    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                    Albert Einstein

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Everyone is entitled to their say.....ONCE!!!....LOL
                      Last edited by SalpalSally; 12-10-2014, 11:17 AM.
                      Love, Sally


                      "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                      Comment


                        #12
                        Sally, what you said is exactly what my Neurologist said "If it ain't broke don't fix it". What is right for one is not right for all, as we all have discussed before on this forum.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Exacerbator View Post
                          People seem to forget – or be unaware of the fact in the first place – that MS is really nothing but a "disease model"...

                          ...At least in rats (AKA "most cases")




                          Those of you pushing your so-called "DMTs" should probably offer more proof to go along with your cheerleading on the topic.

                          Otherwise, you should probably keep your opinions to yourselves.
                          Posts like this one are ok to post up until the part where you tell people "Otherwise, you should probably keep your opinions to yourselves." If your username is not red or purple, you have no grounds to tell people what they can and what they cannot post.
                          Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                          Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                          Question: What's wrong with my account?

                          Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

                          It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

                          Step 1 - log in
                          Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                          Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                          Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                          Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

                          Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

                          Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X