Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terry Wahls Diet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Terry Wahls Diet

    I have done Swank for years, admittedly more careless past several years.

    I am desperate to get out of this flare been in since May.

    A friend mentioned the Terry Wahls M.D , MS diet. Her Tedx talk is interesting,

    Do you have comments about it?( I would miss my yogurt and milk. Organ meat is not very exciting )
    Last edited by Sunshine; 12-07-2014, 11:52 AM.

    #2
    I haven't watched the Ted talk and haven't tried the diet but I've looked at the Terry Wahls Website a number of times. Each time it has seemed to be a site more interested in selling the diet (or a book about it) than in conveying helpful information.

    I have the impression you have to pay (for the book) before you can even find out much about the diet, and then too the Website is heavy on testimonials. These features are red flags to me.

    Maybe the diet is effective and helpful. Eating 9 cups of fruits and vegetables (of certain kinds, I gather) a day--that's probably good, but that's about all I found out about the diet.

    This article has some information:

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    I'd have a problem eating organ meat and seaweed once a week.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      I'll wait for the study results because I, too, can't see myself happily or easily chowing down on organ meats.

      I also am not comfortable with her marketing pitch and tring so hard to make money off MSer's. She can earn enough money to support herself with her renewed good health by being a physician, but give MSer's her theory for free! It doesn't sit well with me for a fellow MSer to try to make money off of us by selling us her "cure".

      I haven't seen a swell on social media of "cured" MSer's screaming about how well they're doing, in spite of the "fix" being safe, relatively cheap, and easy to implement. I'm skeptical and will wait for the study results.
      Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

      Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

      Comment


        #4
        Hi
        I am of the same mind as Agate. I have been a vegetarian for 50 years--not a vegan. I think that science does show the benefits for eating healthy. And I also think that some people make a career out of espousing some version of that known fact.

        I am on another board which mentioned Wahl's plan. I will see if I can find the comments.
        As a farmer I always have customers telling me the benefits of this or that which I am selling. I always smile and suggest that they would have to eat bushels a day to get the right amount of something that someone thinks might help. We always laugh as we talk because people really do know that they are repeating unsupported and vague information told with enthusiasm by a myriad of Elmer Gantrys.

        I went back to Richard Cohen's blog and found this comment on Wahl's by Richard "November 19, 2014 at 9:09 am #
        I got to know Terry and like her. She is a true believer. Like you, I just do not know anyone who has had real results from the diet. I suppose healthy living is its own reward. The jury is out on the stem cell infusions. I am sticking with low level optimism.

        Best,
        R."
        Last edited by Lazarus; 12-07-2014, 05:13 AM. Reason: To add more information
        Linda~~~~

        Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

        Comment


          #5
          Google her Tedx talk. She talks more about what the diet is about and why. She looked at all the medical esearch on supplements and vitamins and decided to try using them from food rather than supplements. The organ meat is a turnoff for me, but I could eat chopped liver if made palatable. Love seaweed salad, so that's ok :)

          I hope you watch her TedX talk. It shows how quickly she started to improve after a steady downslide left her in a reclining chair with minimal abilities . It's compelling. I have no problem with her making money off of her ideas. It's a whole lot less than the pharmas execs make off their MS drugs, and hers won't kill you!

          Comment


            #6
            I watched the Tedx talk. Just speaking as someone who follows diets in a very amateur way, the Wahls diet probably won't do any harm and might even do some good.

            One swallow doesn't make a summer, though. We have Dr. Wahls's assurance that this diet worked well for her. I'd be interested in knowing how many people have found it helpful, and it looks as if there is at least one study going on that will give more information.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
              Hi
              I am of the same mind as Agate. I have been a vegetarian for 50 years--not a vegan.
              Please educate me. I thought "vegan" was like slang for vegetarian. Shows how much I know.
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

              Albert Einstein

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Howie View Post
                Please educate me. I thought "vegan" was like slang for vegetarian. Shows how much I know.
                Here's some more info, Howie: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...


                Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks Vicky, I dun larned somethin. I shore feel schmart now!!
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Very clear explanation--thanks, Vicky.

                    That makes me a lacto-ovo-vegetarian with occasional lapses into pescatarianism because I eat the odd shrimp or sardine.

                    Most shrimp and sardines are fairly odd anyway.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      "Lacto-ovo-vegetarian with occasional lapses into pescatarianism" Say that three times fast!
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Frog42 View Post
                        Here's some more info, Howie: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                        Shows you how much I know - I had absolutely no idea that gelatin was an animal product!! :o

                        Who knew that Jell-o gelatin was made out of animal protein!?!??

                        Thanks for the link, Vicky!
                        Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                        Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by SuzE-Q View Post
                          Who knew that Jell-o gelatin was made out of animal protein!?!?
                          Kraft assures you they don't use the hooves. But yeah, I eat it anyhow.
                          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...


                          Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Maybe you guys have already seen or discussed this article, but I have long followed the work of Dennis Bourdette who is a neurologist at Oregon Health Sciences.

                            He (and his co-authors) have an excellent review of alternative therapies for MS in this article published in 2011:

                            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                            The authors discuss the evidence for omega-3 fatty acids, low saturated fat diet, alpha lipoic acid, Vitamin D, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, green tea extract, and cannabis. The full text of the article is freely available.

                            (I'm still doing the low sat-fat diet, the Vitamin D, the omega-3 fatty acids (I eat a lot of salmon and take fish oil when I don't) ... I used to take alpha lipoic acid ... it's a pretty cheap supplement.)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Thanks for the link posted in answer to Howie's question.

                              Vegetarians don't eat gelatin products unless seaweed based. Agar-agar works like the gelatin in foods.
                              There is gelatin in many yogurts too so I always read labels. There is gelatin in many chocolate mousses recipes!

                              I experience the same need to read labels looking at labels to see if the product has chicken or beef broth...etc.

                              It is amazing what ingredients are in foods that you never would have guessed.

                              Avoiding processed food stuffs is a healthy thing for everybody!

                              Linda
                              Linda~~~~

                              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X