Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedometers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pedometers

    I'm one of those people with MS who are still walking and I'm really glad that I can still get around on my legs even though I don't get very far and often I wobble and weave.

    Some years ago I tried out a freebie pedometer because I was interested in trying to walk more ("use it or lose it"). The pedometer told me that I was walking 500 steps a day.

    That was depressing because the average person takes 5,000 steps a day, and ideally a person should do 10,000 steps a day. I knew I was sedentary but found it hard to believe I was that sedentary.

    Time passed, and I had a chance to get another freebie pedometer. Again it told me I was doing 500 steps a day.

    I gave up and decided that it is what it is and went on from there.

    Recently I started reading up more on pedometers and found out that they're often inaccurate. I put some real money into a better-quality pedometer, mainly because I refuse to believe that I'm taking only 500 steps a day.

    Sure enough. One day's reading is 2,529, and the next day it was 1508. Not anywhere near the average of 5,000 but a lot better than 500.

    So if anyone is thinking about getting a pedometer, stay away from ones you know nothing about and try to get one that is highly rated by other users or by reputable consumer organizations.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    I used a pedometer by omoron .that is the same company that makes my BP cuff. Has a good reputation.
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
      I used a pedometer by omoron .that is the same company that makes my BP cuff. Has a good reputation.
      Good to know I'm not the only one using a pedometer. Walking enough seems to be very important for our general health.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Joan, you just reminded me to do more walking in place.
        Right now I only walk to change from and to scooter, but when i
        get on my feet, I walk in place for about 30 steps...or till I lose
        my balance and fall back on the soft seat behind me.
        Love, Sally


        "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






        Comment


          #5
          I have a pedometer.... I get about 2500 steps a day when it's just me and my dog, I walk more when I'm out with my boyfriend. The area around my home is not as walking friendly for people with tripping issues.
          s
          Jendie
          I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

          Comment


            #6
            Good to know, I had no idea there was a potential for an error rate. I was using a cheap one until the battery died. Maybe I'll go out and get a better quality one now.

            Thanks for the suggestion, Linda!
            Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

            Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

            Comment


              #7
              This new pedometer is a Yamax Digi-Walker SW-200. It was $20. It's a bit hard to snap it on and off a waistband but I'm working on it. If it was too easily removed, it would fall off too easily.

              All it does is count steps. There are others that record calories burned, distance covered, etc.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment

              Working...
              X