Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

disability termination

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    disability termination

    After 11 years social security has decided to cancel my benefits. They spoke to my gp and sent me to a psychologist who spent 10 mins with me. They never even spoke to my neuro.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks.

    #2
    Sheesh, does your GP think you're faking it? Do you have a Neuro?
    What does s/he say? what reason did SS give you?

    So sorry.
    Love, Sally


    "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






    Comment


      #3
      :) As someone who was turned down for disability 11 times including one by a judge, I would refile right away for disability and get a lawyer. I wish I had gotten a lawyer right at the beginning. Jeanie :)

      Comment


        #4
        Very sorry, Daydreamer. That hurt's. I would make sure your Neuro knows.

        And I like Jeanne's suggestion.
        ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

        Comment


          #5
          What a crock.

          An SS lawyer will speed things up.
          There should be free or low cost assistance through
          a regional non profit for the disabled.

          Once again, what a crock.

          Comment


            #6
            I agree, legal representation or a disability advocate is probably needed. Your local MS Society chapter may have a list of resources or pro bono assistance.

            I too was cut off after over a decade receiving benefits. It took a lawyer, and a LOT of stress and worry, to get it reinstated.

            Sometimes doctors are way too casual and flippant, even hopeful, in how they phrase things and describe your prognosis, and this isn't the audience you want to be using an optmistic approach.

            You need to counter that with unequivocal language of your permanent limitations and extensive descriptions of all the neurological damage and its effects written by your neuro. I had to pay for this medico-legal report myself.

            Sometimes, tthey just like to test the case periodically to see how much resistance, if any, they get from cutting off benefits, so a request for reconsideration from an advocate, complete with strong medical evidence is enough to reverse the decision. It was for me. It was scary though, I know how you feel.

            Good luck!
            Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

            Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

            Comment


              #7
              I'm so sorry this is happening but unfortunately it's very common.

              They'll probably do more than send you to a psychologist for 10 minutes. They typically send you to several doctors. These are THEIR doctors, however--being paid by Social Security, I mean. You'll need your own doctor(s) in your corner.

              A lawyer can be very helpful in getting the doctors' cooperation and in appearing at hearings in connection with your case. This organization can refer you to a lawyer, who will probably accept your case on a contingency basis. You pay the lawyer a percentage of what you receive if you win. If you lose, the lawyer gets nothing. It's the National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives:

              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
              Last edited by agate; 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #8
                I am the last person to recommend a lawyer........so that being said GET A LAWYER!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  ((((((daydreamer)))))) ~

                  I'm so sorry Social Security is putting you through this ordeal. Sadly, the System, designed to help us, is also designed to make it nearly impossible to receive the help we deserve. The System counts on you to just give up, as they make due process protracted and complicated. Don't let them get to you. Don't cave. Get a lawyer and appeal.

                  While you are finding a lawyer and appealing, I recommend that you write a letter and send it to your U.S. Congressional Representative and Senators, assorted higher ups in the Social Security Administration, and even President Obama, describing your condition and the length of time you have been diagnosed and receiving Social Security. If every person, who was wrongfully denied or terminated from Social Security assistance, wrote to these individuals, demanding change, then we might have a greater chance for change.

                  Since next year is an election year, now is a good time to ask our elected officials, "What do you intend to do about this?"

                  So, if you can muster up the energy, let them know the turmoil you're going through, and ask them for help.

                  Prayers for you to prevail ~

                  Love & Light,

                  Rose
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    You have the right to an appeal and submission of additional information. I appealed last year and got it reinstated before a payment was ever stopped. A disability attorney is an option if that simple tactic does not get the desired result.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X