Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've Stopped taking Vitamin Supplements.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I've Stopped taking Vitamin Supplements.

    Decided that I was getting enough Vitamins and minerals with,
    my wellness eating. I was taking bunches of supplements, but
    I was eating junk.. I love to eat and I was getting fatter on junk
    and vitamins..

    Now, that I'm eating better and lost 25/30 lbs and keep it off for
    the last 2 years, I feel that I don't need them, since eating sensible,
    delicious, and nutritious food. I cheat a bit with my chocolate, but
    even that is somewhat good for me, in small quantities..

    I just figure, in me older age, the need for supplements is passe.

    Do you think I'm nuts?..lol
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 03-12-2015, 09:39 AM.
    Love, Sally


    "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost







    #2
    Well, I think you're nuts, but that's beside the point.

    I agree, a proper diet gives you all the nutrition you need. And chocolate is in the "needed food groups", isn't it?
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

    Albert Einstein

    Comment


      #3
      Sal, you probably know that Howie's nuts, don't you?


      Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

      Comment


        #4
        Takes one to know one!
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

        Albert Einstein

        Comment


          #5
          I agree that necessary vitamins and minerals can be obtained, and in a more bio-available form, and often synergistically, through diet. Even any possible benefit to MS from certain added nutrients can be obtained by diet by ensuring foods are consumed that are rich in things like omegas or vitamin D, for example. As we age, there are also certain vitamins and minerals that are needed more, like calcium, for example, but again, these can be eaten in foods. You can just take a look at a silver vitamin supplement, then make an effort to eat foods regularly that contain those vitamins and minerals. The internet gives us the luxury of having valuable information easily available.

          I'm pretty sure I've read reports that those who take supplements are no better off than those who don't; in fact, supplementation of some of them have been linked to greater risks for certain illnesses. An annual bloodtest to check certain vitamin/mineral levels may alleviate any concerns you may have about how you're doing, although how you feel is the best indicator.

          More than anything, I think our wallets are impacted from vitamin supplementation. I admire your decision and congratulate you on your weight loss!
          Last edited by SuzE-Q; 03-12-2015, 01:43 PM.
          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

          Comment


            #6
            Nuts are healthy too! I eat walnuts and almonds in my food habits. I think you are totally correct. The vitamin thing is not necessary if you are eating well.
            Linda~~~~

            Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

            Comment


              #7
              I agree with everybody.

              Comment


                #8
                What's your favorite healthy meal?
                Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by SuzE-Q View Post
                  What's your favorite healthy meal?
                  Lean Cousine Turkey/w dressing and baked apples chunks.
                  I usually add a vegie.
                  Love, Sally


                  "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                  Comment


                    #10
                    :) Hi everyone. I vaguelly remember Pi 3.14, so happy Pi day.

                    My favorite easy meal is Atkins Crustless Chicken Pot Pie. 2nd would be Adkins Shrimp Scampi.

                    Cherie feel better.

                    I am sleeping lot and not accomplishing much at all. Jeanie :)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Aren't you so glad we live in a day and age where pre-made meals are no longer the Swanson hungry man dinner meals in those tin trays of days yonder, but are actually really good, nutritious meals of good quality and variety?

                      You both made my mouth water!
                      Last edited by SuzE-Q; 03-14-2015, 12:57 PM.
                      Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                      Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I only eat one meal a day, but it's a good one. I just ate. A salad with turkey breast, grated cheese, crushed up Sun Chips, and Bacon Ranch dressing. A Compleat's chicken and potato,
                        and a glass of soy milk.
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Mark Bittman used to write a regular recipe column for NYTimes. Now he writes about food politics, issues etc. interesting guy.
                          His last cookbook was a Vegan cookbook and, like his previous books, it gives an essential formula for dishes and you learn the idea with many many variations possible. He makes cooking easy and healthy and makes you aware of how cheap it is to cook that way. I wish there was a great movement to teach people the old ways of cooking/eating. Enough of the paying big corporations to feed us chemicals masquerading as good food.

                          Well, don't know where that all came from but it is exactly what I think!
                          Linda~~~~

                          Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
                            Mark Bittman used to write a regular recipe column for NYTimes. Now he writes about food politics, issues etc. interesting guy.
                            His last cookbook was a Vegan cookbook and, like his previous books, it gives an essential formula for dishes and you learn the idea with many many variations possible.
                            This one?

                            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                            Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                            Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by SuzE-Q View Post
                              This one?

                              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                              Not that one but "How to Cook Everything" is a bible for cooks like me. he essentially gives you the basic formula for a recipe and then suggests all kinds of variations. The one I referred to has Vegan in its title and was just published a year or so ago...
                              Bittman calls himself a flexarian...something like that. He eats much less meat than he used to and eats more legumes, nuts, fruit and veggies...
                              Linda~~~~

                              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X