Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Root canals

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Root canals

    Hello! I have posted on a limited basis in the past and have appreciated this group's perspective. DH has MS, dx 18 mo ago, no relapses since, takes Copaxone daily, dentist says he needs two root canals. Pain is keeping him from sleeping. Re the root canal, any tips or warnings or alternatives to suggest? Any reassuring antecdotes? Does he need to call his neuro? Reading all sorts of things on the Internet 😜. Re the pain we've tried every home remedy on the Internet (except drinking urine!) plus ibruprofen. Thank you!

    #2
    Hi kristin_t,
    Glad you like this group!

    I've had several root canals while having MS and they usually went well. One that didn't go so well was on a tooth that must have been abscessed for many months. They aren't much harder to take than many fillings.

    I don't see a need to involve the neuro. Root canals are really common dental procedures. Your DH should definitely tell the dentist about the MS though.

    Often a root canal is done in two or more visits, and I doubt that both root canals will be done during the same visit, but I've never had to have two done at once.

    If a crown is recommended, he should look into that and probably get it because a root canal tooth is more fragile and apt to break without the crown to protect it. Pricey but not nearly as bad as having to lose the tooth later and then probably replace it.

    I hope he will sail through the root canals with no problems!
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you for the encouragement! He will be disappointed to have multiple visits but that makes sense. Thanks.

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Kristen.

        I have had at least 3 root canals over the years that I have had MS. There was no impact/change in my MS.
        I think your husband should be fine.

        One principle to keep in mind is that fever can cause a temporary flair. Therefore, get fevers down.

        Best to you,
        ANn
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

        Comment


          #5
          Thank you for the tip! I did not know.

          Comment


            #6
            I've had all kinds of dental work done, including root canals, in the 31 years I've had MS, and have had no issues with the MS. As SalpalSally said, fever can trigger an MS flare, (as can getting overheated, like in summer, for example), so he'll want to avoid getting infection raging, and a fever that might result. And of course he should tell his dentist about any meds he's taking, just in case there is any chance of an adverse reaction to anything.
            ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by kristin_t View Post
              Hello! I have posted on a limited basis in the past and have appreciated this group's perspective. DH has MS, dx 18 mo ago, no relapses since, takes Copaxone daily, dentist says he needs two root canals. Pain is keeping him from sleeping. Re the root canal, any tips or warnings or alternatives to suggest? Any reassuring antecdotes? Does he need to call his neuro? Reading all sorts of things on the Internet ��. Re the pain we've tried every home remedy on the Internet (except drinking urine!) plus ibruprofen. Thank you!

              Hello,
              I just had a root canal. I actually had no pain. The surgery was also easy. But, the permanent filling just fell out. It seems I am grinding my teeth during sleep and that may have caused the root canal.
              So, I am getting a mouth guard that my dentist had created...when I get it I hope it solves the problem.

              Good luck to you. But your husband? Needs to stop the inflammation of his tooth.
              Linda~~~~

              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

              Comment


                #8
                Have it done by an endodentist. That's their specialty. It shouldn't hurt at all if the novacaine works.

                Comment

                Working...
                X