Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Men: Were you an only child?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Men: Were you an only child?

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    Eur J Neurol. 2015 Apr 27. doi: 10.1111/ene.12718. [Epub ahead of print]

    Characteristics in childhood and adolescence associated with future multiple sclerosis risk in men: cohort study.

    Gunnarsson M1, Udumyan R, Bahmanyar S, Nilsagård Y, Montgomery S.


    Abstract
    BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:

    Associations with multiple sclerosis (MS) of living conditions in childhood and characteristics in adolescence including physical fitness, cognitive function and psychological stress resilience were investigated.

    METHODS:
    A cohort of male Swedish residents born 1952-1956 who were included in the Swedish Military Conscription Register was used to create a nested case-control study comprising 628 MS cases and 6187 controls matched on birth year, county of residence and vital status at time of diagnosis. Conscription examination records were linked with other national register data. Conditional logistic regression was used to evaluate associations with MS subsequent to the conscription examination.

    RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS:

    Men with MS were less likely to be from more crowded households in childhood (>two persons per room) with an adjusted odds ratio of 0.67 (95% confidence interval 0.51-0.86, P = 0.023).

    They had lower physical working capacity in adolescence with adjusted odds ratio of 0.94 (95% confidence interval 0.89-0.99, P = 0.026).

    Cognitive function and stress resilience scores displayed no significant differences between cases and controls. Parental occupation in childhood and body mass index in adolescence were not associated with future MS risk.

    The inverse association of MS risk with higher levels of household crowding may reflect environmental factors such as the pattern of exposure to microorganisms.

    Lower physical fitness in men at MS risk may indicate a protective effect of exercise or could be due to prodromal disease activity, although there was no association with cognitive function.

    Poor psychological stress resilience (and thus risk of chronic stress arousal) was not associated with MS.

    © 2015 The Authors. European Journal of Neurology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of European Academy of Neurology.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

    Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

    #2
    I wonder how women who were only children were affected? That would be me and factor in parents who were old enough to be my grandparents while you're at it.


    Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

    Comment


      #3
      I don't fit any of those, yet I have MS.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Frog42 View Post
        I wonder how women who were only children were affected? That would be me and factor in parents who were old enough to be my grandparents while you're at it.
        I wondered the same thing. And my father was 41 when I came along and my mom was 28. Yeah quite an age difference. In some parts of notheren Wisconsin they still had arranged marriages well into the 1950's.

        Originally posted by Howie View Post
        I don't fit any of those, yet I have MS.
        Me too, Howie. When they made us they broke the molds.

        Comment


          #5
          If they've studied women, apparently they didn't find this to be true for us.

          Since myelin isn't completely developed by the time we're born--it goes on developing for several months, maybe even years--I've often wondered if our earliest experiences have something to do with being vulnerable to MS, but I think it's more likely genetic. Some of us are born with this susceptibility, and it might or might not show up in the form of symptoms that trouble us.

          But if we're talking about odd things about our births, I was the only child of my two parents but each of them had children by previous marriages. This meant that they were older parents than many when they had me--my father was 40 and my mother was 38.

          Also I was a month overdue and a breech delivery. Otherwise nothing special. I was just another squawling newborn.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            When I was a newborn, my mom was giving me a bath and turned her back for one second, and I tried to eat the soap, and I got choked. I stopped breathing and turned blue, so in a panic, she grabbed me and ran out the front door, headed to a neighbor's house, and as soon as I hit the cold winter air, I gasped and started breathing again.

            I don't think it has anything to do with me getting MS 44 years later. But being outside buck naked may explain my obsession with thongs!
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Gary View Post
              Me too, Howie. When they made us they broke the molds.
              Thank the Lord..ROTFL!!
              Love, Sally


              "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Gary View Post
                Me too, Howie. When they made us they broke the molds.
                And now they're all moldy!


                Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gary View Post
                  I wondered the same thing. And my father was 41 when I came along and my mom was 28. Yeah quite an age difference.
                  My parents were the same ages as yours!

                  BTW I was the eldest of 4 girls.
                  Last edited by Parsi; 05-01-2015, 11:43 AM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X