Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd PML case in MS patient taking Gilenya

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2nd PML case in MS patient taking Gilenya

    News from the National MS Society, June 9, 2015:

    Quote
    Case of PML Reported in Person Receiving Gilenyaź


    Novartis has confirmed that it has received a report of a second case of PML (progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, a rare viral infection of the brain that often leads to death or severe disability) in a person with MS taking Gilenyaź (fingolimod, Novartis AG). According to the company’s statement, this individual had been on Gilenya since the end of 2012, and has been hospitalized. The company has reported this case to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other health authorities.

    There have been two previous cases of PML involving a person taking Gilenya. The [more recent of the two] was reported in February 2015 and involved someone with MS. The first case of PML in a person taking Gilenya was reported August 2013. According to Novartis, this individual had neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMO) and not multiple sclerosis.

    PML is caused by the re-activation of a virus called the JC (John Cunningham) virus, a common virus to which many people have been exposed. PML has emerged in people using other medications, including the MS treatment Tysabri (natalizumab, Biogen), and the MS treatment Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate, Biogen).

    It is not possible at this point to determine a person’s risk for developing PML because there have been so few cases in people taking Gilenya. There have been two reported cases of PML in people with MS among the more than 119,000 individuals who have been treated with Gilenya to date.

    The symptoms of PML are diverse and can be similar to MS symptoms. For this reason individuals should be alert to any new or worsening symptoms and report them promptly to their MS healthcare provider. Learn more about the risk factors and symptoms of PML from the web site of The PML Consortium. Individuals who have concerns about this report should discuss it with their MS healthcare providers.

    If and when the FDA or Novartis provide additional information or recommendations for people taking Gilenya or other MS medications, the National MS Society will share it as soon as possible.



    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    The first case was in February, in a patient who had been taking Gilenya for 4 years.
    Last edited by agate; 06-16-2015, 08:33 PM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    We did hear at the Consortium that Tecfidera, Gilenya and Tysabri as well as the monocolonals coming along (ocrelizamab, daclizamab and rituximab) all had the potential for PMS but note, so far had not had any events in PWMS One thing I heard over and over was that the oral meds were far more risky in the long run than any of the original 4 injectables and did not have a good safety profile compared to the CRAB meds but folks are insisting on them despite that.

    Comment


      #3
      I've said it once, but I'll say it again, how can they make any drugs for a disease that they don't even know what causes it, or really what it is. Maybe injecting the racing gas I use in my pink car would make a statistical difference. A cure, or nothing is my belief. 17 years of taking no meds, and I still walk and drive.

      But it is a choice we all have to make, and in no way would I want anyone to stop their meds because of what a crazy old cat daddy might say!
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #4
        You are so right, Howie. I'll never forget not long after I found out I had MS and was finally getting the courage to tell a few people about it. One of them told me, "Oh, they'll have a cure in a few years."

        My MS has lasted longer than his marriage did. I'm not quite mean enough to say that to someone though.


        Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

        Comment


          #5
          Not YET, but keep working on that meanness!
          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

          Albert Einstein

          Comment


            #6
            I've said it once, but I'll say it again, how can they make any drugs for a disease that they don't even know what causes it, or really what it is.
            They're not even sure it's all one disease. They think there might be several different diseases that are currently being called MS.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #7
              But they make meds for whatever it is. Pretty amazing to me.
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

              Albert Einstein

              Comment


                #8
                It wounds them to send us away with nothing. They like to see us leaving the doctor's office with an rx in our shaky hand.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Well, I'm getting ready to drink my racing gas. It does smell good!
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Personally I wouldn't trust any drug made by Novartis. I googled them recently when my doctor wanted me to try Tegretol. They've been fined millions in falsely promoting off-label use of drugs and in other settlements.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X