Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neurologist in Eugene Oregon area

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Neurologist in Eugene Oregon area

    Is it allowed to ask for a recommendation for a neurologist in the Eugene area or coastal area of Lane County? Thank you?

    Also, is it allowed to name one's neurologist to inquire how others have experienced him/her?

    selkie

    #2
    Hi selkie,
    Nice to see you back!

    I don't know of any neurologists in the Eugene, OR, area but wonder if you're aware of this site where they have been rated:

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    Another idea is to contact the nearest chapter of the National MS Society and ask for recommendations. They will probably know the names of neurologists who take a special interest in MS if that is what you're looking for.

    I've seen discussion of doctors here and haven't heard that it's not allowed.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      And just so you know, they let me run around wearing just a SpongeBob thong bottom, and no one has complained!
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #4
        Thank you, agate -- will let you know what I find out.

        And thanks, Howie - I'll keep that in mind should I feel so inclined!

        Comment


          #5
          Also, there's the Website that is among the "Useful Websites" that is a sticky thread at the top of the page here but it seems to have been last updated a few years ago. It might still be worth a look:

          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            Thank you agate!

            Thank you so much, agate! My brain is not functioning these days and I missed that link. When I looked on the NMSS website for Oregon I didn't see any information about Oregon doctors, BUT your link happens to list the very neurologist I was considering seeing based on internet reviews (which I know can be varied in reliability).

            I've been at a total loss. My husband and I have been living in Oregon for two years but we know no one (practically) and certainly no one in the MS community or medical community. My GP had been prescribing my muscle relaxants, and I've opted not to take a DMD (I'm SP) and because of the difficulty I have with travel, wanted to keep my medication list as prescribed by the neuro where we used to live.

            Well the clinic here made a new ruling that GPs couldn't prescribe any muscle relaxants and all patients must then be referred to a specialist. Understandable, but the neuro they were referring me to is NOT an MS specialist, in fact NEVER sees MS patients as she's a movement disorder specialist, and would only see me (some time in November!) at the request of my GP. This seems crazy - I should see a neuro who is experienced with MS, not one who is only taking me reluctantly and at that under the pressure of the politics rampant at my GP's clinic.

            In addition, I saw my GP had recommended in his visit summary to the movement specialist I be taken off the drugs that do help me (Baclofen & Soma) and put on Tegretol when I've made it more than clear to my GP that I do not want to be a walking pharmacy and under no circumstances will take any anti-epilepsy drugs such as the gabapentin drugs and Tegretol. Feeling blackmailed at this point, so decided I will choose my own neurologist! I'm glad to see that at least I've some validation now as the doctor in the list is the one I'd felt would be the best in this area -- am planning to call today for an appointment and the next hurdle will be to find out if she's accepting new patients!

            In the meantime I'm trying to recover from a leg injury *without* the benefit of my regular muscle relaxants because the clinic cut me off -- my physical therapist believes this was not in my best interests because the MS spasticity is exacerbating my leg injury and possibly slowing down the healing process (As it's been 8 weeks and not much improvement, highly unusual for this type of injury). So, I'm feeling the clinic here is not acting according to my best interest.

            Sorry for the rant - this has been frustrating to say the least. I'm just hoping the neuro I want to see is accepting new patients! Thanks for listening. We MS patients can be at the mercy of doctors - I firmly believe the final decision on our meds is ours, not theirs.

            Selkie

            Originally posted by agate View Post
            Also, there's the Website that is among the "Useful Websites" that is a sticky thread at the top of the page here but it seems to have been last updated a few years ago. It might still be worth a look:

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

            Comment


              #7
              This is probably of little use but the American Academy of Neurology lists neurologists:


              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

              The list includes only those neurologists who are members of the AAN, and quite a few good neuros aren't members.

              Another option might be to ask your primary care doc for a referral. I've often done that. You don't have to like the doc you're referred to. The primary care doc may ask you a follow-up question and if you've left the doc, you can just say that didn't work out so well or something on that order.

              You're on thin ice if you start explaining why the doc wasn't a good match for you though because the primary care doc won't be comfortable discussing other doctors.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #8
                In my previous post that's what I was saying - my primary doctor referred me to a neurologist that doesn't even see MS patients!

                So, I did contact him with the doctors name (or rather I contacted his office) on your list. They thanked me for doing the research and will put a referral through to that doctor instead. It goes to show how little my primary doctor knows about MS and neurologists in my area.


                Originally posted by agate View Post
                This is probably of little use but the American Academy of Neurology lists neurologists:


                Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                The list includes only those neurologists who are members of the AAN, and quite a few good neuros aren't members.

                Another option might be to ask your primary care doc for a referral. I've often done that. You don't have to like the doc you're referred to. The primary care doc may ask you a follow-up question and if you've left the doc, you can just say that didn't work out so well or something on that order.

                You're on thin ice if you start explaining why the doc wasn't a good match for you though because the primary care doc won't be comfortable discussing other doctors.

                Comment

                Working...
                X