Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's get trippy!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Let's get trippy!

    Front Immunol. 2015 Jul 14;6:358. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2015.00358. eCollection 2015.


    Psychedelics and Immunomodulation: Novel Approaches and Therapeutic Opportunities.

    Szabo A1.

    Abstract
    Classical psychedelics are psychoactive substances, which, besides their psychopharmacological activity, have also been shown to exert significant modulatory effects on immune responses by altering signaling pathways involved in inflammation, cellular proliferation, and cell survival via activating NF-κB and mitogen-activated protein kinases.

    Recently, several neurotransmitter receptors involved in the pharmacology of psychedelics, such as serotonin and sigma-1 receptors, have also been shown to play crucial roles in numerous immunological processes.

    This emerging field also offers promising treatment modalities in the therapy of various diseases including autoimmune and chronic inflammatory conditions, infections, and cancer. However, the scarcity of available review literature renders the topic unclear and obscure, mostly posing psychedelics as illicit drugs of abuse and not as physiologically relevant molecules or as possible agents of future pharmacotherapies.

    In this paper, the immunomodulatory potential of classical serotonergic psychedelics, including N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT), 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (5-MeO-DMT), lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), 2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodoamphetamine, and 3,4-methylenedioxy-methamphetamine will be discussed from a perspective of molecular immunology and pharmacology.

    Special attention will be given to the functional interaction of serotonin and sigma-1 receptors and their cross-talk with toll-like and RIG-I-like pattern-recognition receptor-mediated signaling.

    Furthermore, novel approaches will be suggested feasible for the treatment of diseases with chronic inflammatory etiology and pathology, such as atherosclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, schizophrenia, depression, and Alzheimer's disease.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

    Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

    #2
    Seems to me that psychedelics are a cure all for just about everything...and just think we never knew!!!
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      Like...heavy man!
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #4
        Hmmm . . . or is it possible that past use of psychedelics or other drugs could have changed the immune system response causing all this mess. I, for one was a teen/young adult in the 60s/70s and, as most kids of that time, did my share in experimenting with drugs, including psychedelics. What's done is done, but I sure wouldn't want to mess with it again. I sadly know of a few who didn't make it out of a psychedelic haze.
        Howie, your right, heavy man . . . but no laughing matter.

        Comment


          #5
          It would be a good survey, to find out who here with MS tried psychedelics in the past. You have to be honest. I did, and the first time, I was 17, a kid experimenting.
          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

          Albert Einstein

          Comment


            #6
            I was from that era, but I did not - and that is very honest! How about someone telling me exactly what psychedelics are. I just think of them as mind altering drugs, and I remember that some Psychiatrist experimented with them on some patients.

            I did take some anti-anxiety drugs back then when things were really stressful. Don't recall what they were, but they were prescribed by a GP.

            I also remember that Cary Grant tried them.
            Virginia

            Comment


              #7
              Never tried psychedelics. Only a couple puffs of mj once but was exposed to it 2nd hand a few times. The few times I was drunk I was pressured into it. Never enjoyed that scene.

              Comment


                #8
                Virginia, if you were taking meds for anxiety, you would not be one to try psychedelics. Psychedelics are drugs that contain LSD. Most were made illegally in someone's basement. A natural form of LSD can be found in certain mushroom and cactus.

                Dr. Timothy Leary was a big believer in the benefit of using LSD at least one time. He was actually in a Cheech and Chong movie once.
                Last edited by Howie; 08-05-2015, 08:49 AM.
                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                Albert Einstein

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thanks Howie, now I know for sure I did not take any even by accident. The only thing I did was party on the week-ends drinking one or two mixed drinks. For years now it has been only a glass of wine.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #10
                    This seems to have turned into the Confession Corner.

                    I can definitely say I've never tried a psychedelic in my life...although I am surprised by some of the confessions I've read from others whom I would never have suspected had puffed the magic dragon!

                    Of course, I'm sure it was for purely medicinal purposes though...
                    Last edited by SuzE-Q; 08-06-2015, 01:46 AM.
                    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                    Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                    Comment


                      #11
                      You're right SuzE-Q. I was just looking for relief from this bad back. And you know what...it worked!
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I've done lots of recreational drugs too many times but I have refused to do any that have to be injected. My ex bullied me into doing that once and it was horrible. I'm not even sure which one it was. Never again!

                        I know a lot of people think of pot as a gateway drug but it just made me hungry. I don't really see it as a big deal as long as you're not stupid enough to drive while stoned.


                        Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                        Comment


                          #13
                          A nee...ne...dle...THUMP!
                          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                          Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Frog, your looks deceive!

                            I never did psychedelics.
                            My reality has always been tenuous…

                            Occasionally used pot- hash, even less frequently
                            Never bought or sold either.
                            MJ made me unsocial- hash immobilized me.

                            It's been over thirty years for hash.
                            Last time I got in the house and fell over a kitchen chair-
                            laughed my buns off then crawled up the stairs to bed.

                            I did have a nasty trip into my subconscious when I mixed red wine and some pot.
                            Thought a NY high rise jump would be a good idea.
                            The two did not affect my friend.

                            Fragile Reality.
                            Last edited by renee; 08-07-2015, 01:01 AM. Reason: if u really need 2 know, I had to address that sweet-cheeked frog.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Howie,
                              "Dr. Timothy Leary was a big believer in the benefit of using LSD at least one time. He was actually in a Cheech and Chong movie once. "
                              Ther
                              Leary was from here. My husband used to see him biking. He wore and Air Force WWII bomber pilot leather helmet. John says Leary used to go around collecting literature books at the Good Will thrift store which had rows of used books.
                              Leary road a ten speed bike all around Springfield, MA.

                              That's all he remembers.
                              Linda~~~~

                              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X