This thread will explain what has happened to me since the beginning of June. I can honestly say it has been the scariest experience I have had with my MS. I thought I had learned to handle unexpected problems over the past twenty plus years but this one really through me for a loop. The attack left me totally numb from the waist down in my right leg. It seemed to happen so quickly. One day I was standing on a step stool trying to get the smoke detectors to stop beeping and by the next day I thought I had done to much and would have to take a couple of days to recover.
Instead the leg problem worsened and within 3 days or so I was totally without any function on my right side. It didn't take us long to realize this was not a small matter and for the first time in my life we had to call 911 for an ambulance to take me to the ER. I received a small amount of solu-medrol and oral prednisone. I got an appointment with my neuro and he put me on a 3-day solu-medrol drip along with a prednisone taper.
We were totally unprepared for this flare-up. All I had here at home was a cane. Being so helpless and weak meant we had to quickly figure out how to get the help I needed to just get back and forth from my bed to my bathroom. (My bladder was also in terrible condition which meant frequent bathroom trips on almost an hourly basis.)
My husband, Curt, rented me my very first wheelchair. It was a great help. The steroids gave me some energy so I attended 3 or 4 PT sessions which helped me to stand and take some shaky steps. My balance was gone and I wondered if I would ever get back the ability to walk again. My pt therapist suggested a walker for me to purchase and we also purchased a wheelchair that I used to get around my apartment.
Presently I am walking although I still have more weakness in my right leg than I like. This month will make 6 months of recovery time. I have learned that I am far too impatient even after all these years of trying to rid myself of that negative personality trait.
I found it hard to believe that after walking for at least 50 years I would have so much trouble doing it after a relapse. I keep my rolling walker and my wheelchair handy but for now I am walking unassisted trying to get the strength back on my right side.
It is slow but steady and I am happy that I passed through October flare-up free. One more month to go and maybe I can stop worrying about another flare-up for a little while. October and November have been bad months for me in the past so with each passing day I breathe a little bit easier.
Of course no relapse would be complete without problems with at least one doctor and I experienced needless stress from the one doctor I thought I could depend on. I will therefore be finding a new neurologist when I get the energy and I am glad that my family doctor has proven to be a reliable ally for me.
Well that covers my experience in a nut shell. Wouldn't it be nice if I could go another 7 years before I had to handle another relapse?
Instead the leg problem worsened and within 3 days or so I was totally without any function on my right side. It didn't take us long to realize this was not a small matter and for the first time in my life we had to call 911 for an ambulance to take me to the ER. I received a small amount of solu-medrol and oral prednisone. I got an appointment with my neuro and he put me on a 3-day solu-medrol drip along with a prednisone taper.
We were totally unprepared for this flare-up. All I had here at home was a cane. Being so helpless and weak meant we had to quickly figure out how to get the help I needed to just get back and forth from my bed to my bathroom. (My bladder was also in terrible condition which meant frequent bathroom trips on almost an hourly basis.)
My husband, Curt, rented me my very first wheelchair. It was a great help. The steroids gave me some energy so I attended 3 or 4 PT sessions which helped me to stand and take some shaky steps. My balance was gone and I wondered if I would ever get back the ability to walk again. My pt therapist suggested a walker for me to purchase and we also purchased a wheelchair that I used to get around my apartment.
Presently I am walking although I still have more weakness in my right leg than I like. This month will make 6 months of recovery time. I have learned that I am far too impatient even after all these years of trying to rid myself of that negative personality trait.
I found it hard to believe that after walking for at least 50 years I would have so much trouble doing it after a relapse. I keep my rolling walker and my wheelchair handy but for now I am walking unassisted trying to get the strength back on my right side.It is slow but steady and I am happy that I passed through October flare-up free. One more month to go and maybe I can stop worrying about another flare-up for a little while. October and November have been bad months for me in the past so with each passing day I breathe a little bit easier.
Of course no relapse would be complete without problems with at least one doctor and I experienced needless stress from the one doctor I thought I could depend on. I will therefore be finding a new neurologist when I get the energy and I am glad that my family doctor has proven to be a reliable ally for me.
Well that covers my experience in a nut shell. Wouldn't it be nice if I could go another 7 years before I had to handle another relapse?


Comment