Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oral vs IV steroids?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Cherie View Post
    After the last 8 or 9 rounds of IVSM , I came to the conclusion that there were more adverse effects from the therapy with each consecutive round than help. And my cardiac status, BP, blood sugars and weight deteriorated with each dose until it was determined that this therapy was no longer an option to manage a worsening of symptoms related to MS and symptom placement. Doesn't matter if it's oral or IVG. Steroids , once they start not working, do not work better in a different dose form. ACTHAR gel injections might be something to speak with the doc about as an alternative to steroids. Some who no longer tolerate steroids do well on Acthar
    Thanks Cherie. I am wondering the same thing. In my case the 'roids are to attempt to control the BP. I hate being an inpatient. When it is out of control it is really out. So I guess its more desperation time. My doc says this shouldn't work but it does. He has had a number of arguments over using them to LOWER your blood pressure.

    Comment


      #17
      So, what is the alternative? How do they lower it when you are an inpatient?

      Comment


        #18
        Flat on my back and IV drugs that can (and do) crash your BP into the basement. They can cause irregular heart rates and rhythms. They have to be administered slowly and carefully as you can go into circulatory collapse. I have always had it done in the ICU under the watchful eye of Nurse Ratchet and crew. I have had it done with a regular IV but they usually want a central line or a port.

        Due to the MS they usually give me something for the spasms and the pain, it starts to hurt. None of it is intractable but...... I am through with anything that causes more pain!! Am thinking that I may be able to lay down and use my CPAP.

        Comment

        Working...
        X