Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS and HIV Meds : your thoughts and knowledge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    MS and HIV Meds : your thoughts and knowledge?

    What are your thoughts on the case of the woman who has MS and took three days of AIDS Meds for three days and was able to walk upstairs after?

    Or the observation that only one person with HIV ever got MS ?

    It sure dovetails with my feelings all along that I always feel like I have some weird virus. Always feel unwell even on good days.

    #2
    Hello,
    Your post was a bit confusing.
    However, like you I have wondered about the causes of my MS. What is the trigger?

    But I know that is an endless question and I would refer the research monies favoring the treatment side of this equation.

    Have you researched MS triggers?
    Last edited by Lazarus; 04-17-2016, 09:13 AM.
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      #3
      You may be referring to these stories?

      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      Maybe some more new drugs for MS are about to be rolled out--the antiretroviral drugs of the type used against HIV?
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        I wonder what the side effects of those drugs are.

        Comment


          #5
          I think 'the woman with MS who took three days of AIDS meds and was able to walk upstairs afterwards' was lucky she could do that.

          If the sequence of events is correct, it is probably a coincidence they occurred in that order. There may also have been unreported factors that influenced the outcome.

          Whether the same is true for 'the only person with HIV who ever got MS', I can't really say. I never heard that before.

          If I understand current mainstream thinking correctly, AIDS means you have a (severely) depressed immune system, while MS means it's on overdrive. This implies to me that primary medications for one are not indicated to treat the other.

          The diseases might share certain common symptoms, and the treatments for those might be exactly the same, but neither says much about causation.

          As for viruses, the only one I've heard anything about in the context of MS causation is Epstein-Barr, so you might want to look into that. I'm not on either side of that fence, but I do recall hearing about it.

          Comment


            #6
            My personal theory, is that the MS patients immune system is attacking the body because there is some weird virus that triggers the immune system to keep attacking the body.

            I base it on the feeling of "unwellness" I have had since the first attack. It's not just weakness or neuropathy, it's the feeling of fatigue and unwellness, somewhat similar to that which often comes with other viruses.

            Re the HIV story, they're doing research on that. To me that means that probably there is more to the story than a coincidental getting better after taking the HIV Meds.

            Comment


              #7
              This is the "experiential approach" to disease treatment, which some say is teetering on the brink of obsolescence.

              Since I didn't invent that term and never heard it until I saw the movie The Singularity Is Near, I looked for a clip containing an explanation of it.

              YouTube to the rescue (lol)...



              I don't agree with everything the clip contains, but I think the first part succinctly summarizes the current state of affairs in medicine.

              I otherwise liked the movie and would recommend it if you're looking for something to watch.

              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... (free to stream/play)

              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... (critical reviews, etc.)

              Comment


                #8
                Wellllll............I am always suspicious of anything that seems too good to be true. I, too, wonder about the side effects. Some of that stuff can be nasty, or so I have read. But I am open minded (at least a tiny bit) to realize that something totally different might help. And as we all know MS is different for everyone so treatments can be different as well.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I used to talk here years ago about the Herpes viruses, and their possible connection to MS. I still think there is a connection. There were some who were offended by the idea because the only Herpes virus they had ever heard of was the genital variety.

                  But the fact is, there is no person on Earth that does not carry a Herpes virus of one kind, or another. The most prevalent being the one that causes Chicken Pox.
                  If you had that (and almost everyone has) you still carry the virus but in a dormant state.

                  I won't bore you with facts and figures about the different Herpes viruses, but it's an interesting subject to read about.

                  Adding: Epstein Barr is a Herpes Virus infection.
                  Last edited by Howie; 04-18-2016, 08:08 AM.
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I've never had chicken pox but Epstein-Barr is another story.


                    Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Frog42 View Post
                      I've never had chicken pox but Epstein-Barr is another story.
                      You're a goner Vicky!

                      There are some Herpes viruses so new, they don't even know what disease process they are connected to, but research continues.
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                        #12
                        A little basic info of Herpes Viruses.

                        Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Howie View Post
                          You're a goner Vicky!
                          Then I'll be back to haunt you Howie!


                          Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Frog42 View Post
                            Then I'll be back to haunt you Howie!
                            Noooooooooooooo!!!
                            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                            Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Yep that ol herpes virus that causes all those other diseases is the cuprit in my case.
                              Love, Sally


                              "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X