Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New (ish) treatment cures MS in humans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New (ish) treatment cures MS in humans

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    They use chemo to destroy your immune system. Then they infuse your bone marrow stem cells in you to reboot the immune system.

    #2
    Years ago, probably 10 to 13 years, I was watching a daytime TV talk show and saw a man who had undergone a procedure that involved removing the blood from his body and washing it and returning it to his body. That is a crude way of putting it because I don't remember exactly what they did. However, they showed videos of the man before this procedure and he could not even feed his toddler child and could barely feed himself. Needless to say he was wheelchair bound and he was going down hill fast.

    After the procedure he walked on the stage and he did not resemble the same man. He had what looked to be six pack abs, he had exercised and his arms were in great shape. He looked, walked and acted just great. His insurance would not cover the procedure which at that time was about $100,000. His wife went out and asked for donations and kept on until she was able to raise the money.

    I have never gotten over that program and wish that I had some way of knowing what happened to him long term.

    The above procedure looks promising, however it would be a lot to go through with the chemo treatments and everything else that would be involved.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      I couldn't do it. I'm doing too well after all these years, and don't forget, this treatment has killed some people. I wouldn't be willing to take the chance, but I understand there are others with MS FAR worse off than I am. For them, this can offer so much to gain, and in that situation, worth the risk. It is really promising news for those willing to take the chance.
      Last edited by Howie; 06-10-2016, 06:36 PM.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #4
        I agree. It is nice to know its out there in case Mr. MS becomes super aggressive.

        Comment


          #5
          Sounds real promising. Stem cell replacement has already proven effective for lots,of other diseases. As far as side effects, seems no more dangerous than many of the drugs now available, and perhaps with greater effects. The techfidera I'm on can cause liver damage, too -- I get blood tests every six months now. And I have no improvement with it as far as I can tell. If I were younger, I'd try this.

          Howie, you claim to be doing so well yet you're not working, essentially housebound, not able to do much walking...doesn't sound all that well to me. I know you're medication- adverse, though.

          Comment


            #6
            Sometimes the med SEs areworse than the disease though!
            Love, Sally


            "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






            Comment


              #7
              I'm glad to know there's a treatment like this--as BBS said, in case the MS gets ultra-aggressive, it's comforting to know that something might help.

              Still, these were only 24 people even if they've been followed for 13 years and 70% of them have had good results. One of the 24 died of liver failure and another had to be in intensive care for liver complications. That makes the treatment look risky but then continuing to have a very severe case of MS is risky too.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #8
                Cat, MS since '98, male, I take no MS meds. Yet I can still walk a little, enough to take care of myself and my cats. I still drive. I do stay home all the time because at my age, where would I go? I'm happy, and want for nothing. In my book, I consider that doing pretty well.
                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                Albert Einstein

                Comment


                  #9
                  When I was home I enjoyed staying home too. Did my walking and exercises right there.
                  Love, Sally


                  "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X