Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Promising new cure for MS?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Promising new cure for MS?

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    I don't know why the research doesn't start until 2020. It may be too late for me. I hope it helps younger patients.

    #2
    As usual, it's a lack of funding, which they hope to have by 2020.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

    Albert Einstein

    Comment


      #3
      That guy Saddiq in NYC raised funds for Phase 3 stem cell for MS, I just a few months. And he wasn't even working at a university.

      Comment


        #4
        I hope this can get funded quickly, but even if that is fast, the trials can take time, and also require funding. It's frustrating how difficult it is to bring a promising treatment to market.

        And on a darker note, any cure of MS takes gobs of money away from the people who make the known treatments. And I think those people will muddy the water that speaks of a cure to make it as difficult as possible for it to come to be.

        I hope I am totally wrong about that. But wealth is some people's god.
        Last edited by Howie; 06-08-2017, 05:25 AM.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

        Albert Einstein

        Comment


          #5
          I hope you're wrong about that too, Howie.

          MS doesn't seem to be dramatic and horrible enough for there to be a very intense interest in finding a cure. We're settling for modifying the disease. We could be focusing on improving the daily lives of those who are stuck with MS for many decades, or we could be looking for an actual cure, but right now--in the past 30 years or so--they've been coming up with disease-modifying therapies by the dozen.

          MS is very dramatic and horrible to those with an especially severe case of it, but your typical person with MS is bumbling along living a fraction of his/her former life but still alive and sometimes looking just fine.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            "Bumbling along", that's ME!
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment


              #7
              A friend just posted the reference to this article. I'm naturally skeptical.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Parsi View Post
                A friend just posted the reference to this article. I'm naturally skeptical.
                A person gets that way after a while, don't you think? It's been quite a few years for all of us, watching first this amazing breakthrough and then another one come along with fanfare and trumpets.

                And here we are.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Exactly.

                  And I wish NMSS would quit using photos of MS people rock climbing, cycling, surfing(!) to make it seem like we are just fine. Who wants to donate big when they think these pictures represent the effects of the disease?

                  Sure makes the people with more aggressive disease look like a bunch of unmotivated wimps, rather than the true face of the ravages of the disease.

                  (In fact, one of my surf friends knows a gal with MS in worse shape etc, and she wrongly concluded that the gal has simply given up. I pointed out the disease impacts everyone differently in terms of destruction of the body. But NMSS I think contributes to that misunderstanding.)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Yes, Bbs, yes. My thoughts exactly. Our local chapter has a race up the steps of what was the John Handcock building. Are they kidding? It would be different is they emphasized that folk w MS can not do it.

                    ANN
                    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I participated in a cool event shortly after I was DXed. The Dog Walk for MS. We first got pledges from businesses in the town, then walked with your dog to where it all ended, then went in and ate a meal.

                      I of course had to borrow a dog being as I am the cat daddy. This was a dog walk, not a dog run chasing after the cat.

                      It was fun, and raised some money for the NMSS. I have helped them twice to raise money, and I can only hope they put it to good use helping someone with MS, and not so a CEO could take a nice paid vacation.

                      I could not do either event now, but did what I could, when I could.
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X