Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing meds?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Managing meds?

    If you're taking quite a few pills, how do you keep track of them?

    For years I've been going through a once-a-week ritual of putting pills in their compartments in one of those plastic compartmentalized "medisets"--I think that's what they're called sometimes. Mine has 7 individual boxes, and each box has 4 compartments for 4 times of day--morning, noon, evening, bedtime. I take out each day's box and don't have to lug the whole week's supply around.

    I found out in Consumer Reports (July) about another type of deal called Pill Pack and wonder if anyone knows about it. They are able to set up your nonrx meds (vitamins, etc.) too. If you needed a new rx soon, though, they recommend using a local pharmacy that could get it to you faster.

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    Apparently there's a square envelope containing pills and you rip it open. Might be easier to deal with?
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    Agate, I do mine pretty much like you do now. I have a daily container for night and one for morning. Once a week I fix them for the week and just keep them in the kitchen. It is not a problem for me to do that. I fix one other pill box for the week and keep it in my bedroom with a glass for water. That is my thyroid medication. I get up early and take it separately and before I take other medications or eat.

    It is a pretty simple routine and I like it better than trusting someone to send me my medication through the mail. I do have the trouble of going to pharmacies and picking things up, but I had rather trust myself to do that than to depend on someone else who is out of town or out of state.

    Other than that just being me and the way I am, I think it sounds like a good idea. As long as everything is done right all the time and is gotten to you all the time it probably is a good idea. I have two pills that I cut in half and a third one that I usually do, so might not be as handy for me.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      It's a good idea for those that are housebound. Quite a few jobs would be created from the folks needed to deliver meds. I don't think UPS or USPS could handle the extra load. Maybe create the UPDS, United Prescription Delivery Service.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #4
        I don't know Howie. A lot of people get their meds through mail order pharmacies already and they are delivered by the Post Office.

        Agate, one thing they can't do is remind me to take them. I forgot my thyroid medication this morning and by the time I remembered it it was too late to take it. I try very hard not to do that, but it does happen.
        Virginia

        Comment


          #5
          Virginia, it's good to know that service is available. I have all but one med on auto-fill, and that one I call in, and pick them all up at CVS on payday. As long as I can drive, getting my meds is pretty easy.
          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

          Albert Einstein

          Comment


            #6
            I do the same -- set up my meds for the week in one of those pill containers. I take stuff just twice a day, morning and night, so it's pretty easy. The container is in my nightstand, I have a mug of water there, and when I get out of bed, take the morning pills, then before I go to bed, the evening (changing the water during the day when I do other dishes).
            ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

            Comment


              #7
              I take 22 meds, most every day for MS, asthma, thyroid, and other ailments. It was five pills daily, until 2-3 years ago.

              In addition to inhalers and liquid med, I have 5 pill weekly containers. I group the containers by type or time of day. It's so complex, that I carry a schedule with 9 time entries for the given day. Then, I check off that particular entry as a back up to be sure I know I took it.

              I use my cellphone alarms to remind me of crucial meds. each group has its own ringtone.
              It's ridiculous.
              Last edited by Sunshine; 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Cat Dancer View Post
                I do the same -- set up my meds for the week in one of those pill containers. I take stuff just twice a day, morning and night, so it's pretty easy. The container is in my nightstand, I have a mug of water there, and when I get out of bed, take the morning pills, then before I go to bed, the evening (changing the water during the day when I do other dishes).
                I too have 3 pills that I take twice a day. Every 12 hours. They are on the counter and when I take them I turn each bottle upside down. At night I turn the bottles right side up when I take them. Turning them upside down lets me know if I remembered to take them.
                Linda~~~~

                Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                Comment


                  #9
                  The techfidera comes to me from the comp, by mail. They call once/ month to see if I'm still on it, if all is well, then send it. The rest come by mail from my local pharmacy. I call to renew, they mail. If I call before 3 pm, it will arrive the next day. .otherwise it'll be two days. If I need it right away, they'll deliver. All.free ( except for copays). They have my credit card on file. They also order and send my colostomy supplies. They'll also call and ask about lapsed prescriptions....do we still need that, or have we switched to something else.

                  I only occasionally forget my meds, usually in the morning if I get up in a rush but then my legs start to spasm so I know, and take them. None are on such a rigid schedule that a few hours.Will matter.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I take quite a few pills (23 per day) and I take meds bid.

                    I got a 1 week pill box with 4 containers per day (AM, NOON, PM, BED).

                    I count out pills and put two weeks worth of pills in the box.
                    AM and NOON for the first week and PM and BED for the second week.

                    This allows me to keep track of whether or not I missed a dose and I only have to count out pills once every two weeks.

                    I can see when I'm running short and call in for a refill while I still have two weeks worth on hand.
                    Last edited by howdydave; 09-16-2017, 11:23 AM.
                    Dave ©¿©¬
                    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
                    www.howdydave.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Ingenious time-saving procedure there!

                      Somehow the time to set up the week's pills rolls around much sooner than I thought it should. I need to do that now, for instance, but have put it off until it's almost time for the next pill, and the little boxes are empty.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I agree, I would like to do mine for two weeks instead of one. It does seem that one week goes by so quickly and I am always thinking "is it time to do that again?"
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Hello howdydave. Nice to see you here. Good idea to do 2 weeks.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I also do two weeks in a box w one slot for each of the fourteen days. I don't like filling it but having the two weeks in the box has helped me to plan RX refills for traveling.

                            I have a small note book (3 for $ at the $ store). I write the list in there and put the times in after I take them. Double sure I've done it.

                            ANN
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I only take 6 meds, and thought that was too many, but not anymore. I have 2 I take 3 times a day. I take them each morning and put the remainder for later in a pill container. Then get out the other 4, and put everything back in my "pillbox". Then I take all these pills plus 3 supplements all at one, and wash them down with my fresh cup of coffee. That's the breakfast of Champions.
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X