Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
hello everyone,
For some reason when I cut, copy and paste the links come through and are not visible or clickable. But, Dave has a lot to share so you can go to his website and click away! If he mentions something that interests you I can go to the site and copy articles for you. Just ask if you need help.
Linda
Website Active MSers Dave Bexfield . Forum Blog Facebook
January 2018
Dave basic
On my first bike ride of the new year, that buzz of being out in nature and getting all that yummy cardio exercise got me so jazzed that I couldn't help but be giddy. Uh, perhaps a little too giddy, as one group of strangers discovered. As I weaved through the woods on our city's ADA off-road bike trail, I passed several walkers enjoying the unseasonably warm winter day. "Did you see the bear!?" I asked excitedly. Eyes got big. A concerned/surprised "Nooo..." followed with intense scanning of the river forest. "Oh, well me neither. There aren't supposed to be any bears in these parts, so good to hear. Carry on!" As I passed, laughter mingled with relief. They won't forget that New Year greeting anytime soon. And now, neither will you. Let's get to the news at hand!
+ Best MS exercises--UPDATED & EXPANDED for 2018. ActiveMSers has compiled a comprehensive list of the best multiple sclerosis exercises, fitness tips and workout advice based on recommendations from doctors, physical therapists, research studies, professional athletes and personal experience. Read our 100+ tested tips now including more than a dozen new ones! If you need a workout nudge, Healthline has a free series of exercise videos--30 different strength training and mobility exercises--designed for MS patients.
+ Sick, With MS. We all hate getting sick. But getting sick with an autoimmune disease is a different beast. This is how I handled it. Better than piss-poor, but definitely not that well. How do you all cope? Any survival tricks? If so, then post a comment on our blog. And all I can say is thank god it wasn't the flu, but as you'll soon read, you are not allowed to use that word.
TIP: See thy friends, regularly. I just got through a two-week stretch over the holidays of seeing friends or family every single day and it was so uplifting (well, other than catching that darn cold at the end). Friends--virtual included (that means you)--made my 2017 a richer, fuller one. It's no accident that happened. As this article attests, happiness is rooted in strong social relationships. Foster and grow them the best you can.
+ Is Exercise Neuroprotective? "To our knowledge, the present article offers the first argument for exercise as a countermeasure for CNS decline in MS," said researchers specializing in multiple sclerosis and physical therapy. Read or download the full article for free here. Meanwhile, another study found cycling for 30 minutes, 2X a week, "improves physical and mental health, while reducing depressive symptomatology and cognitive dysfunction in MS." I wanna get on my bike just reading this!
hand-holding-skaters.jpg
+ Too Tired to Exercise? Researchers are studying that too. This German study examined the effect of endurance training on MS fatigue. "At nine months, fatigue was statistically significantly below the baseline" and stabilizing at that improved mark. Huge gains also were found in motor fatigue. Still too tired? Canadian researchers found that exercising aerobically in a cool environment limits the negative effects of both central and muscular fatigue in MS. Translation: Get your inner snowman on, eh!
So the other day a stranger graciously offered to take a photo of me and my wife, a holiday keepsake. But maybe he should have straightened out the camera. And maybe not have it look like a drink umbrella was sticking out of Laura's head. And maaaybe he should have put down his margarita first. Bah, it's all in good fun. Case in point: on Christmas I was flying home after visiting some dear friends. As Laura and I moved to the front to pre-board the Southwest flight, shooing able-bodied folks out of my way, I turned to all those eager beavers lined up in the A group. "Ladies and gentleman, as a holiday surprise, we at Southwest will begin boarding today with the B group." Well, that sure got a stir! And you thought I only gave my buds with MS a hard time. Happy New Year, and watch out for bears! Be active, stay fit, and keep exploring!
Dave Bexfield
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
p.s. Discounts on cooling vests and other gear can be found in the Members Only area of our forum. No registration is required--to enter, just type the password: msisbs.
ActiveMSers, 706 Los Prados de Guadalupe Dr NW, Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM 87107
SafeUnsubscribe™ Spinetilazarus@yahoo.com
Forward this email | Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by dave@activemsers.org in collaboration with
Constant Contact
Try it free today
hello everyone,
For some reason when I cut, copy and paste the links come through and are not visible or clickable. But, Dave has a lot to share so you can go to his website and click away! If he mentions something that interests you I can go to the site and copy articles for you. Just ask if you need help.
Linda
Website Active MSers Dave Bexfield . Forum Blog Facebook
January 2018
Dave basic
On my first bike ride of the new year, that buzz of being out in nature and getting all that yummy cardio exercise got me so jazzed that I couldn't help but be giddy. Uh, perhaps a little too giddy, as one group of strangers discovered. As I weaved through the woods on our city's ADA off-road bike trail, I passed several walkers enjoying the unseasonably warm winter day. "Did you see the bear!?" I asked excitedly. Eyes got big. A concerned/surprised "Nooo..." followed with intense scanning of the river forest. "Oh, well me neither. There aren't supposed to be any bears in these parts, so good to hear. Carry on!" As I passed, laughter mingled with relief. They won't forget that New Year greeting anytime soon. And now, neither will you. Let's get to the news at hand!
+ Best MS exercises--UPDATED & EXPANDED for 2018. ActiveMSers has compiled a comprehensive list of the best multiple sclerosis exercises, fitness tips and workout advice based on recommendations from doctors, physical therapists, research studies, professional athletes and personal experience. Read our 100+ tested tips now including more than a dozen new ones! If you need a workout nudge, Healthline has a free series of exercise videos--30 different strength training and mobility exercises--designed for MS patients.
+ Sick, With MS. We all hate getting sick. But getting sick with an autoimmune disease is a different beast. This is how I handled it. Better than piss-poor, but definitely not that well. How do you all cope? Any survival tricks? If so, then post a comment on our blog. And all I can say is thank god it wasn't the flu, but as you'll soon read, you are not allowed to use that word.
TIP: See thy friends, regularly. I just got through a two-week stretch over the holidays of seeing friends or family every single day and it was so uplifting (well, other than catching that darn cold at the end). Friends--virtual included (that means you)--made my 2017 a richer, fuller one. It's no accident that happened. As this article attests, happiness is rooted in strong social relationships. Foster and grow them the best you can.
+ Is Exercise Neuroprotective? "To our knowledge, the present article offers the first argument for exercise as a countermeasure for CNS decline in MS," said researchers specializing in multiple sclerosis and physical therapy. Read or download the full article for free here. Meanwhile, another study found cycling for 30 minutes, 2X a week, "improves physical and mental health, while reducing depressive symptomatology and cognitive dysfunction in MS." I wanna get on my bike just reading this!
hand-holding-skaters.jpg
+ Too Tired to Exercise? Researchers are studying that too. This German study examined the effect of endurance training on MS fatigue. "At nine months, fatigue was statistically significantly below the baseline" and stabilizing at that improved mark. Huge gains also were found in motor fatigue. Still too tired? Canadian researchers found that exercising aerobically in a cool environment limits the negative effects of both central and muscular fatigue in MS. Translation: Get your inner snowman on, eh!
So the other day a stranger graciously offered to take a photo of me and my wife, a holiday keepsake. But maybe he should have straightened out the camera. And maybe not have it look like a drink umbrella was sticking out of Laura's head. And maaaybe he should have put down his margarita first. Bah, it's all in good fun. Case in point: on Christmas I was flying home after visiting some dear friends. As Laura and I moved to the front to pre-board the Southwest flight, shooing able-bodied folks out of my way, I turned to all those eager beavers lined up in the A group. "Ladies and gentleman, as a holiday surprise, we at Southwest will begin boarding today with the B group." Well, that sure got a stir! And you thought I only gave my buds with MS a hard time. Happy New Year, and watch out for bears! Be active, stay fit, and keep exploring!
Dave Bexfield
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
p.s. Discounts on cooling vests and other gear can be found in the Members Only area of our forum. No registration is required--to enter, just type the password: msisbs.
ActiveMSers, 706 Los Prados de Guadalupe Dr NW, Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM 87107
SafeUnsubscribe™ Spinetilazarus@yahoo.com
Forward this email | Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by dave@activemsers.org in collaboration with
Constant Contact
Try it free today

Comment