Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I met my new neuro today....and it was good

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I met my new neuro today....and it was good

    My great neurologist of 27 years retired and I felt lost. Lost is too mild a word but it will do.
    Today, I met with a new neurologist. She was impressive and I feel like I can breathe for the first time in 3 months.
    This is what I wrote a friend who asked why I liked her:
    I liked her no nonsense demeanor. She had obviously read many of my previous neurologist’s notes about me...and there are 26 years of notes!

    I asked her questions about some dosing issues on the rituxan and asked her about Ocrevus and she was right on top of things. I needed 2 recommendations for doctors and she has 2 names and is setting up the appointments.

    I was concerned about next rituxan infusions and she immediately set the schedule for what she will do and when.

    She was obviously well informed. When I described my swallowing problems she knew right away that it was esophageal spasms. They mask as heart issues. She thought switching one of my blood pressure meds (something about a calcium channel blocker) would help with the swallowing issues and sent a note to my PCP whom I will see tomorrow.

    She did a good exam.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 01-25-2018, 12:44 PM.
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    #2
    Wow, what a great consult. I can see you’re in good hands.

    Comment


      #3
      A doctor who actually reads a patient's history--that sounds very good!

      You'd think all doctors would do that but I've noticed that many don't.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        I'm happy for you. It isn't always easy to find a doctor you like.


        Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

        Comment


          #5
          Good news, Linda.

          ANN
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

          Comment


            #6
            It's so important to find a doctor you can have confidence in! Sounds like she's a keeper!

            Comment


              #7
              And it's particularly difficult to change if you've been with one doctor you liked for 27 years!
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #8
                That’s great news, Linda. Sounds like she had done her homework.
                Be the person your dog thinks you are

                Comment


                  #9
                  Linda, so glad you got one you like and trust. It takes some of the pressure off.

                  I saw my new Neurologist for first time earlier in the month, and I really liked him. I had only had one - the same one who diagnosed me. So I too was going from the known to the unknown. My new one had also read many of the notes that my old Doctor had made. He told me the old Doctor left great notes and that he had been very pleased with me. So far he has phoned a couple of prescriptions in for me and just right on time like we discussed.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                    Linda, so glad you got one you like and trust. It takes some of the pressure off.

                    I saw my new Neurologist for first time earlier in the month, and I really liked him. I had only had one - the same one who diagnosed me. So I too was going from the known to the unknown. My new one had also read many of the notes that my old Doctor had made. He told me the old Doctor left great notes and that he had been very pleased with me. So far he has phoned a couple of prescriptions in for me and just right on time like we discussed.
                    We are both lucky. But I feel so lost without the support I had for all those years. I told the new neuro thatit felt like losing a parent. I explained that my retired neuro knew all the details, the whole history..of my MS symptoms. No one else knows that. Not even John who rarely gets involved in the details. So I lost my history. Something like that.
                    Linda~~~~

                    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                    Comment


                      #11
                      That is so invaluable what you lost. A relationship between a doc and patient is hard to duplicate.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Linda, even though like BBS said you can't duplicate that relationship, I have a feeling with what you said about the new one that in a short period of time you will come to trust and think of her in much the same way.

                        I had a very close history with the one I lost and will go on missing him for a long time, but I think I was so relieved when I got another one that I like. He is also young and I certainly should not outlive him. The other one was younger than me and I expected him to practice for a lot more years, but we had discussed his eventual retirement from time to time.
                        Virginia

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X