Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having Shingles increases odds of getting MS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Having Shingles increases odds of getting MS

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    #2
    So, does this mean that I will probably have an exacerbation within the next year and especially the next 3 months?
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      Not necessarily. I don’t think it comments on that. I would have to reread it.

      It does show the vrrry high percentage of older people who get shingles. It surprised me!

      Comment


        #4
        How are you today Virginia?

        Comment


          #5
          Sunshine, still highly uncomfortable and hoping time will take care of things. It has been 3 weeks today. My Doctor said 7 to 8 weeks, but I was hoping for better.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #6
            I was told too that people with MS are more prone to shingles, simply because our immune systems are already compromised. Whatever the reason, shingles is one bad disease. I'm into my third year with what is now a chronic itch and pain on my shoulder from my shingles attack. I hope you recover more fully, Virginia..

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Virginia View Post
              So, does this mean that I will probably have an exacerbation within the next year and especially the next 3 months?
              The article seems to be talking about the onset of MS after shingles--not relapses in people who already have MS. But it has often been observed that any infection can cause a flareup of MS symptoms. It's probably very important to stay well rested, well nourished, and well hydrated--and exercise regularly.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #8
                Agate, I am resting more than I would like to out of necessity. I have tried to do a few leg exercises in the past few days. I noticed that in the article it seemed to be referring to the onset of MS, however it kind of confused me because generally they quote younger people than they were talking about getting MS.

                Cat, I am concerned about any lingering affects from the shingles. I am so sorry you are having this problem on your shoulder. To have it on my face and scalp is just unacceptable if there is a way to avoid it.
                Virginia

                Comment

                Working...
                X