Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Sunshine: Happy Accessible House!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    For Sunshine: Happy Accessible House!

    Congratulations to Sunshine on her spanking new accessible house. When you are recovered come back and tell us about the move and how it’s working out. So glad that you eliminated the stairs!

    Congratulations and be well.

    Lots of chocolate,
    ANN
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 11-19-2018, 11:10 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

    #2
    Happy, happy new house to you Sunshine! It might take just a little getting things in place, but remember to be patient and let others do. I am also glad you will no longer have to contend with stairs.

    Please do not wear yourself out, and let us hear from you when you are back on line.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      Congratulations!!!
      Linda~~~~

      Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

      Comment


        #4

        This is so exciting!

        Of course we'd like to know all the details--what is going where, how you're getting around in your new space, and whether you know where things are yet--but take your time, rest up as needed, and post when you have a spare moment.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #5
          Welcome home!

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks to Moderator #7 for editing the title.

            I found out we can edit titles ourselves by using the Go Advanced button.

            ANN
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

            Comment


              #7
              :) I'm happy for you. Enjoy your new freedom. I hope you did not overdo it. Jeanie :)

              Comment


                #8

                ((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

                Congratulations on your new accessible home! It was quite the journey to create your new home, and I hope that it provides you with all you need to be safe and happy.

                Looking forward to your update ~

                Love & Light,



                Rose
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Very exciting . Kudos to your persistence and determination!
                  Be the person your dog thinks you are

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thank you all for your wonderful words!
                    We moved right on time. IT was grueling managing symptoms amidst the chaos. I increased Baclofen to 100 mg and that allowed a decrease of Tizanidine withno spasms.

                    The house works so well for handicapped. There are a couple of design glitches i didnt foresee, that could be fixed in the future after the old house sells.

                    The low counters and roll under the vanity are perfect, as is the shower, low sinks.
                    Wide passageways are a miracle.

                    Now that I can cook on low counters and stove, I realize I cant do it in a wheelchair. The food and spatters gets onto the chair, in crevices, on spokes from wet hands etc etc.

                    Same with brushing teeth in wheelchair. The debris gets on the chair.

                    So, I use a shower stool that I keep stantioned in two places in the kitchen and at the bathroom vanity, and I sit on that, with the wheelchair nearby to enable excursions from station to station

                    What do you do to keep debris off your seat, and your wheels?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      ((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

                      Your new home sounds perfect for you!

                      Perhaps you could place a large towel, like a bath or beach towel, on your lap and over the sides of the wheelchair to catch splatters, water, food, etc. When you want to wheel around, lift the ends of the towel off the wheels and fold onto your lap. It might be worth a try.

                      Prayers that your infusion goes smoothly tomorrow.

                      Love & Light,



                      Rose
                      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Sunshine, so glad to see you posting again. If you have been reading you know our Cat is either in hospital or rehab (maybe by now). Anyway, she cooks quite a bit when at home and is wheelchair bound. She may have some good points for you to consider. Rose also possibly had something that might work with the beach towel. I hope so.

                        So glad the move went well and for the most part things seem to be the way you wanted with the exception of being splattered while cooking and doing things at bathroom sink.

                        You have been missed.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Sunshine,, so thrilled for you,,I am with Rose,, towels,,, works with my rollator, and "Up/ Walker "
                          " Don't outsmart your common sense"

                          Peg

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I don't do much real cooking any more but am always sitting in my wheelchair, and while eating I spill things. The chair gets wiped down once in a while with a damp cloth, using Windex or a spray bottle filled with part vinegar, part water.

                            I've heard of people hosing down their wheelchairs but I don't have easy access to a hose.

                            Wipes work on the wheels.

                            The inflatable cushion has a removable cover on it that can be laundered but it cleans up pretty well just by being sponged off when there are spills.

                            A manual wheelchair probably isn't getting any dirtier than the rest of your furniture except for the wheels. Even the wheels aren't any dirtier than the soles of people's shoes.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Some fine bread crumbs got stuck in the seam between the vinyl covering of the arm rest and the metal surrounding it. I should’ve used can air to blow it out, like you do to clean up a computer keyboard. But, instead, i unfortunately tried to remove it with a fingernail, further embedding it in the seam. Lesson learned. Rookie, am I.

                              OMG re Cat. It will take days to catch up on all the events here in our lives.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X