Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROHO cushion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    ROHO cushion

    Who here uses the ROHO? I think Cat does?

    I think I have it figured out. From what I can see, you pump air into it. Then you keep the green end open and shift your weight to the part of the seat you want lower and then lock it in by pressing the red end.

    I think I have it now so that my butt is lower, thus relieving pressure on the part of the back of thigh that was causing circulation problems, and less pressure on the lower back.

    I think I also have it so that the seat bone, not the coccyx, don’t know the name of it, so, that bone has 1/2 to max 1’ space friom the bottom of the body where the top of the back of othe thigh intersects with the butt.... I do hope i got that right as I am trying to reverse the skin degradation there that came about with the increase to 90% R2D2 time........it also seems to help that may legs are much better and allow me to be on feet more.

    #2
    Yes, that sounds right. The ROHO cushion indeed helps with circulation and pressure sores and is comfortable. If anyone does a lot of sitting, the cushion is highly recommended!

    Comment


      #3
      I need to get one. I have gel and foam cushions but my tush still hurts. The bath tub is almost impossible as I am sitting on bone.

      ANN
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

      Comment


        #4
        If you have/had an ulcer on the skin, Medicare might pay.
        If not, your doc can write a medical necessity letter prescribing it, and the store can sell it tax free. Thats what mine did. So, I saved the 7% sales tax, which is a nice savings since its expensive to start with. My skin changes were my wake up call, but they weren’t ulcerative— yet. Hoped to avoid that....

        Comment


          #5
          Sunshine, I admire the way you have educated yourself on all these different things you have needed.

          Ann, you are almost making me glad my "tush" has it's own padding. Although I am not glad I can no longer use tub because I can't get out. I like showers, but sometimes nothing takes the place of a good hot bath for a cold natured person.
          Last edited by Virginia; 12-21-2018, 10:51 AM.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #6
            Just done with hair appointment. Peter picked me up and we are in lobby of hospital as we are 30 minutes early for GI apppointment.

            ANN

            Edited to add that I realize that I posted this outside of chat. I’ll put the appointment update there.
            Last edited by stillstANNding; 12-21-2018, 02:05 PM.
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

            Comment


              #7
              Waiting to hear....

              Comment


                #8
                How often have you had to add air to your RoHo cushion? I have been having to do it more frequently, maybe at least weekly. Seems like it loses air all over the cusion, especially noticeble in the “dump” toward the back of the cushion

                Comment


                  #9
                  Update:

                  So, its pretty clear my ROHO is leaking air. Kept adding air and one chamber will not stay inflated = the important one...The pharmacy I bought it from that sells every disability aid known to womankind, told me how to contact ROHO warranty. I called the ROHO warranty people. Sight unseen they are shipping a new cushion as its still under warranty. Then, when it arrives, I ship back for free the leaky one so that they can look at it. So, in the meantime, am using the firmer one that came with the R2D2.
                  Last edited by Sunshine; 03-22-2019, 12:54 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    It's good to know the company is so responsive! The two cushions I have were bought second hand, so I have no recourse. TC pumps one up every week.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I've had a ROHO for over 8 years. I bought it after I broke my ankles, which landed me into a wheelchair permanently, unable to stand even momentarily. I was so used to my old cushion that the ROHO felt uncomfortable to me because my legs tended to splay out, pushing them against the sides of my wheelchair. The ROHO didn't "cup" my legs, like the old cushion did, so I went back to using my old Jay cushion.

                      Since the recent skin breakdown/pressure sore, I have been using the ROHO. The sore started slowly healing, but my hips hurt and felt "out of joint". We tried readjusting the air and while my hips are more comfortable, the sore is not making the progress it had been. Trying to find the "sweet spot" in this situation. Also using an alternating pressure mattress overlay, which takes a little getting used to, but is helping.

                      Cat, any recommendation on what topical medication to use on a pressure sore/skin breakdown?

                      My ROHO doesn't seem to leak any air at all.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                        Jon has had a ROHO cushion for nearly 15 years. Unfortunately, his declining health has precluded him from using his w/c for several years.

                        A PT demonstrated the proper way to inflate the cushion, which I can no longer remember. But I do recall that he said not to pump the entire cushion to full capacity. We put Jon in his chair, and the PT assessed his position, then adjusted the air to accommodate his form.

                        Here are some instructional videos on inflating the ROHO:

                        Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                        nuthatch ~

                        Jon has been battling decubitus ulcers since 2004. There is a wide array of wound care products including, medical honey, seaweed, collagen, silver ... It depends upon the wound. Currently his backside looks like he stood too close to a radiator. We have tried these over the counter remedies: Calmoseptine, Hydraguard, Butt Paste, and Bag Balm with little success.

                        If your wound is draining, I recommend Optifoam (which I order from Amazon). A variety of wound care pads are available, but I like Optifoam best.

                        If you have access to a wound care nurse, I recommend a consult. As Cat can attest, wounds can get out of control quickly.

                        I'm so sorry for all of you, who are contending with these issues, because I know well how frustrating it can be. Sending healing energy to all.

                        Love & Light,



                        Rose
                        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          The company is awesome. The new cushion arrived 3 days after I called and I am shipping the old one back this week. The old one clearly leaked in one quadrant, which was made even more evident by trying out the new one.

                          I like how my non Roho cushion works better: but, and its a bit but, I was developing skin breakdown in it. Roho seems to have rescued that.

                          Re those with skin breakdown : My friends dad got a pressure sore from sitting too much (not handicapped, just lots of other issues). She took him to a wound care center and he got his wound to reverse . But, his was just beginning. It was only a small pinhole size on the outside that was rapidly spreading.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I definitely recommend getting to a sound doctor! As Rose said, pressure sores are notoriously hard to treat, and can get much worse very quickly! Depending on how serious and how deep the sound is, the doctor will have a variety of treatments to try, to get it to heal. Whatever treatment she/he recommends, you'll be told to stay off it as much as possible, meaning bed rest for the better part of each day!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X