Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it says in the newspaper that someone died of complications of multiple sclerosi

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    When it says in the newspaper that someone died of complications of multiple sclerosi

    When it says in the newspaper that someone died of complications of multiple sclerosis, what does that mean? What are the complications that would kill you? Your esophagus closing? Swallowing issues?
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

    #2
    I've been noticing over the years how that is mentioned sometimes and keeping an eye on it. It's usually pneumonia, infected bedsores, or kidney failure, as I understand it. This is from a few years ago but I don't think the situation has changed much recently:

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    I don't recall hearing of anyone dying of swallowing issues but the pneumonia category can include aspiration pneumonia, I assume.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      Yes, agate has it right. Infected bedsores are what nearly killed me. They led to a rampant blood infection that wasn't responding to antibiotics...until it did. And pneumonia is also common. Then there's the issues of a compromised immune system: illness that are minor turn into major issues for us, things like the common cold or flu.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by agate View Post
        I've been noticing over the years how that is mentioned sometimes and keeping an eye on it. It's usually pneumonia, infected bedsores, or kidney failure, as I understand it. This is from a few years ago but I don't think the situation has changed much recently:

        Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

        I don't recall hearing of anyone dying of swallowing issues but the pneumonia category can include aspiration pneumonia, I assume.
        Similar with CP. You don't die of CP itself only secondary problems or a swallowing issue.
        Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

        Comment


          #5
          I was in a live support group and knew a man who was then in his 40s. At 52 he died from kidney failure. He was on a scooter and he use to stand long enough to kind of bend forward and hold his back for a minute because he was having spasms.

          Also, in this live support group was another man in his 60s. He went into assisted living. His voice, when I knew him, was barely above a whisper and I could hardly hear him. He died at age 72 from pneumonia which they said was a complication of MS.

          Our facilitator was in a wheelchair and was getting to the point that he could not transfer himself. He worried about going into a facility. However, he died at age 64 which was due to organs in his body beginning to go. The paper stated it as complications from MS.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks for your replies. A farmers market pal died earlier this month from complications of MS. Last time I saw him was a few years ago .
            Susan
            Be the person your dog thinks you are

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ssusan View Post
              Thanks for your replies. A farmers market pal died earlier this month from complications of MS. Last time I saw him was a few years ago .
              Susan
              I'm so sorry he died.
              Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
              My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

              Comment


                #8
                It's always sad when someone with MS dies, and particularly sad when the person dies when much younger than most people.

                ssusan, I'm sorry your farmer's market friend died.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment

                Working...
                X