Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Load up on those sirloin steaks, ladies!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Load up on those sirloin steaks, ladies!

    Sorry, Howie, just the women on this result!

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    Front Neurol. 2019 Feb 19;10:125. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00125. eCollection 2019.

    Higher Non-processed Red Meat Consumption Is Associated With a Reduced Risk of Central Nervous System Demyelination.

    Black LJ1, Bowe GS1, Pereira G1,2, Lucas RM3,4, Dear K5, van der Mei I6, Sherriff JL1; Ausimmune Investigator Group.

    Abstract
    The evidence associating red meat consumption and risk of multiple sclerosis is inconclusive. We tested associations between red meat consumption and risk of a first clinical diagnosis of central nervous system demyelination (FCD), often presaging a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.

    We used food frequency questionnaire data from the 2003-2006 Ausimmune Study, an incident, matched, case-control study examining environmental risk factors for FCD. We calculated non-processed and processed red meat density (g/1,000 kcal/day). Conditional logistic regression models (with participants matched on age, sex, and study region) were used to estimate odds ratios (ORs), 95% confidence intervals (95% CI) and p-values for associations between non-processed (n = 689, 250 cases, 439 controls) and processed (n = 683, 248 cases, 435 controls) red meat density and risk of FCD. Models were adjusted for history of infectious mononucleosis, serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, smoking, race, education, body mass index and dietary misreporting.

    A one standard deviation increase in non-processed red meat density (22 g/1,000 kcal/day) was associated with a 19% reduced risk of FCD (AOR = 0.81; 95%CI 0.68, 0.97; p = 0.02). When stratified by sex, higher non-processed red meat density (per 22 g/1,000 kcal/day) was associated with a 26% reduced risk of FCD in females (n = 519; AOR = 0.74; 95%CI 0.60, 0.92; p = 0.01).

    There was no statistically significant association between non-processed red meat density and risk of FCD in males (n = 170). We found no statistically significant association between processed red meat density and risk of FCD.

    Further investigation is warranted to understand the important components of a diet that includes non-processed red meat for lower FCD risk.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

    Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

    #2
    But...........
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

    Albert Einstein

    Comment


      #3
      A whole contingent of people here don't get any steak--not just Howie. LarryLDN, Tweeker, soul, to name a few. They drop in from time to time.

      Not the place for them to order steak, I guess.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        I eat it by prescription due to chronic anemia. When I don't eat it or eat less than a couple of meals a week, my anemia worsens.

        Comment


          #5
          I always wondered how Terry Wahls could go from being a vegetarian to a meat eater again.
          Maybe she is onto something...

          I haven't had red meat in decades, and I'd need to see more and no possible alternative before I could bring myself to even entertain putting this back in my diet or down my throat. I'd be interested how Wahls made the psychological and gastronomical transition.
          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

          Comment


            #6
            SuzE-Q, do you eat a lot of soy? It's a good alternative protein source. I use to be a big soy eater.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Howie View Post
              SuzE-Q, do you eat a lot of soy? It's a good alternative protein source. I use to be a big soy eater.
              Soy is not generally a good protein alternative for men as it produces progesterone (a female hormone) in those who eat it. For many men this can cause problems such as ED and breast development if too much is ingested. Fortunately, it is often reversible if the consumption is eliminated.

              Comment


                #8
                Thank goodness for that. I haven't had soy in years! Thanks for the info!
                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                Albert Einstein

                Comment


                  #9
                  Like you, I drink soy milk (haha, although you might be swearing off it after what Cherie just wrote!).

                  I have a lot of nuts and beans though, some very occasional nonred meat animal sources, and lots of green smoothies.

                  I'm going to get a blood panel done soon to see how I'm making out.
                  Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                  Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X