Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

February Chit/Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    I tried to look at the iMac Pro last night. The site kept on and on showing pictures and talking about it. Then, finally, I got to the bottom of the article and it said they were no longer stocked and they were not not sure they ever would be. All I could think was "why are you still putting out all this information to wade through?" I also found some desk top towers, but not like I have. They also have been discontinued. I wish I could remember how old mine is. It might not be as old as I think. I can't remember exactly when I bought it.

    Agate, I have never done anything to mine as far as dusting any fans or anything like you are talking about. I don't even know if it has fans. I dust the top and sides when I am cleaning house and that is it. It is just getting very slow. I might could take it to some computer outfit and let them work on it a little to get it faster and see what the problem is, but they probably would keep it forever. I remember Howie being without one for a lengthy period of time.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #77
      Oh! the sun is shining today and it is due to get up to about 60 degrees, then tomorrow it is suppose to still be sunny but only in the 40s. Moving on to Thursday, when I have a hair appointment there is 100% chance of rain and in the 30s. Weird weather.
      Virginia

      Comment


        #78
        Agate, I have never done anything to mine as far as dusting any fans or anything like you are talking about. I don't even know if it has fans. I dust the top and sides when I am cleaning house and that is it.
        I may be talking about computers that were around before you were born. For years I had second-hand computers that were already quite old, and back then you could see at least one of the fans going around and around, and you could see how dusty it was getting. I had one of the fans fail once, and it was bad news. I had to cart the whole tower to a shop to get it fixed.

        It's starting to melt around here but there are 300,000 people still without power, including my son and his household. They seem to be getting along OK, and that's good to know. This is the worst snow/ice event in 35 years around here, or that's how it's being reported. The problem has been that too many ice- and snow-covered trees have fallen on too many power lines.

        I've heard of towns where the power lines are all underground. Not sure why this town hasn't gone that route.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #79
          Yeah Virginia, and I would rather have my teeth pulled without anesthetic than go without a computer. Oh wait, I pulled several of my teeth without anesthetic! Oh well, you know what I mean.

          I just got in from my running around. I don't know where the motivation to go came from, but I'm glad it's over.

          I had to activate my new debit card. It took me 4 tries to get it right, but the card was activated when I was done. My bank was taken over by another bank, so I got a new debit card in the mail. Once it was activated, I went to the ATM, then CVS for 2 of my scripts, then to the store.

          I loaded up at the store, so I should be able to stay at home the rest of the month. And of course, I wore a mask. My glove box is loaded with new ones.

          So I came home and carried everything in, and put it away, and besides fixing a meal later, I'm done for the day. I hope everyone is having a great day!
          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

          Albert Einstein

          Comment


            #80
            ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

            Virginia ~

            When my friend and I looked at iMacs on Apple.com, we determined that I didn't need the iMac Pro. It comes with lots of bells and whistles, which I don't need, and it's the top of the line iMac. I have the least expensive 27" iMac, and I'm sure that it will suit my needs perfectly. Essentially, it is a thinner version of my old iMac, and as my friend says, "shinier."

            My friend has an HP All in One computer. Here's very long link to it on the HP website:

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

            Here are some at Staples:

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

            As you can see, they resemble the iMac.

            As far as having your computer repaired, that might be costly and time consuming. And, even if it can be repaired, your computer is outdated, as my old iMac certainly is, and it might be better to invest in getting a new one. You won't have to worry about how slow your computer is, because you'll have new technology. You'll be amazed at how much faster it is and better. Peace of mind. It's worth it.

            I worry about you driving in the freezing rain, Virginia. Perhaps you might reschedule your hair appointment? I'll be praying for your safety on the roads.

            agate ~

            We have underground power lines, but older neighborhoods near us have electrical poles. Utility companies have power over us in more than one way. We aren't living in the 1950s now. All lines should be underground, but utility companies say that it is too expensive.

            The argument that we have earthquakes disturbing the underground lines is absurd. Those poles are decades old, and an earthquake could easily cause them to topple. When we had our huge quake in 2015, we still had electricity. Our water mains broke all around us, but we still had electricity. Another threat that poles present is fire, of which we have more than our share. Those poles flare up like torches. And then, there goes the electricity.

            We were warned about climate change (eg., "Inconvenient Truth"), but it takes everyone in the world to agree on how to solve this problem. Climate change was ignored for the past 4 years by our nation, and now we're paying the price for it. Hurricanes, fires, floods, ice storms, blizzards, excessive heat, cold one day, warm the next, earthquakes, pollution. A pandemic.

            We can all remember, when it wasn't like this. But, here it is. And we have to do all that we can to save our planet. Our lives depend upon it.

            Continuing prayers for your son and family, and for you, as I am sure you are quite worried about them.

            Howie ~

            I applaud you for your adventures today! We always need to be in the right mind set to tackle these outings and the challenges they present.

            I am thankful that you made it home safely, and that you and Sam will be well fed and able to enjoy pleasant dreams on your new topper and sheets.

            Well done, Howie!

            Sunshine ~

            Prayers continue for your dear loved one and for you and your family.

            Jeanie ~

            We miss you, and we pray for you.

            Be safe, be well, be strong, and find a bit of joy in every day.

            Love & Light,



            Rose

            *Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

            Comment


              #81
              Rose, I might like the HP Pavilion. When I start looking around that is one I will definitely look at.

              Agate. we have underground lines in my neighborhood, but still we have power outages. Transformers seem to blow around here. Maybe your son and family will get their power back tomorrow. I sure hope so.

              It is showing rain and possible ice or snow for Thursday. That is my hair day. Hope it doesn't happen. I am pretty sure the rain will, but hope ice and snow will not.
              I had planned to go to the grocery store after I got out of the hair salon, but I think I might do that tomorrow.

              Howie, you have pulled enough teeth without any anesthetic that you shouldn't even use that expression.
              Virginia

              Comment


                #82
                The power company is no longer estimating when my son's power will be restored. The power company had been saying Thursday but now they're just not saying at all. Meanwhile, I believe they might try to find a hotel or motel (if there's one with any vacancies) to stay in. Hard to have to make such arrangements with an active 2-year-old. There are still 200,000 people without power here. It's really a massive problem, and I've heard that there's no more space in hotels or motels.

                I mentioned that they had taken in a cat who turned up on their doorstep, looking forlorn and cold. My son got the cat to a vet and determined that she'd been microchipped--and now the cat is reunited with her human.

                My son and the others there all liked the cat and would have kept her but I'm glad that kitty already had a home.

                Other parts of the country are having far worse weather problems just now.

                And you mentioned the pandemic, Rose, and I wondered if you were linking it to climate change? I think a case can be made for that connection. I've heard that it's fairly definite now that the novel coronavirus started with an animal, not in a lab, and I've also heard that because of climate change many animals have lost their habitat--and moved into areas where more people are living. So there is likely to be more and more contact with wild animals.

                One of the animals mentioned in connection with the coronavirus spread has been the pangolin. I'd never heard of a pangolin before. Seems they are "the most trafficked mammals in the world."

                Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                Last edited by agate; 02-16-2021, 10:06 PM.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #83
                  I have been remembering my experience/non experience with computers as I read through everyone’s comments. Computers began invading the academic world of high schools while I was still teaching. There were discs and new words to learn to use the machines. Some people learned quickly and were always being called on to easily get those of us who did not know what we were doing out of the computer ditch we were in.

                  I did not care about them and had so much trouble following along in all those teacher computer workshops we had to attend. At the time I had webtv which allowed me to research everything and I could print off all I wanted. It was a set top box and very user friendly. The best aid for my life ever! I also got a word processor and wow! That machine too was user friendly and an invaluable aid to my teaching.

                  So, life changed but I never got a computer. However, when the iPad was born we were given one. That fit in well with the uses and needs we had for such devices. The early iPads were user friendly and opened worlds of sites sounds and words. Modern iPads have gotten more complicated packing in many things we will never use. Reminds me of most appliances today with 20 choices when most of us always use the same 2 setting to wash the dishes, the clothes or ourselves! (My shower head had 10 settings but I have used the same one since before the flood!)

                  Well, I sound like an old person now. I have not kept up, do not want to spend my time learning the new language so I can more fully use my devices and wish the knobs were still on all devices so I did not have to keep finding the various remote controls for televisions and radios.

                  I think I will just go out and pick sweet tomatoes in my greenhouse. Come to think of it, the language of the earth is one language I do not mind exploring and learning. I’ll go back to my default position.
                  Linda~~~~

                  Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Ah, WebTV. They were my introduction to the cyber world. I still have one stashed away somewhere.
                    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                    Albert Einstein

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Originally posted by Howie View Post
                      Ah, WebTV. They were my introduction to the cyber world. I still have one stashed away somewhere.
                      I think Microsoft bought it...and buried it. I was getting a CAT scan once and chatted with the technician who, it turned out, was the best friend or first cousin or..,of the webtv inventor. That’s what he told me.
                      Linda~~~~

                      Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                      Comment


                        #86
                        ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                        Virginia ~

                        I'm glad you found the HP Pavilion and that it appeals to you. You're starting to narrow down your choices. Please be super careful if you drive tomorrow. Years ago, Jim and I agreed not to drive in the rain, unless it was urgent. We had a saying: "People in California don't know how to drive in the rain."

                        agate ~

                        What disappointing news that your son and family and neighbors don't know when power will be restored. I suppose all of their frozen foods have thawed, unless they put them out in the freezing weather. It is times like these when generators come in handy.

                        Yes, I do think there is a connection between the pandemic and climate change, although I have not researched my theory. Think about the myriad autoimmune disorders now, which as I recall in my youth did not exist. Perhaps that is because medical science was not advanced enough to identify them. Perhaps it is because we've been polluting our environment for hundreds of years.

                        Many of our viruses apparently emanated from animals, like bird flu, swine flu, and others, which I can't remember at this moment. Mad Cow Disease, which flatfish posts about regularly here on BT, evidently emanated from feeding cows animal meat. That is when Jim, Jon, Michael and I became vegetarians.

                        There are many documentaries on Netflix, which I've watched, about our planet and how we've been destroying it and can save it.

                        I think everything is connected ~ all of humanity and our planet. Everything we need has been provided for us on our planet. Pharmaceuticals often are based upon naturally growing plants on Earth. For example, Jon and Michael took Depakote for seizure control; it was based on Valerian Root.

                        Our planet is very ill and needs intensive care. If our planet is unhealthy, how can we hope to be healthy? The air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat ~ everything we need to survive is at risk.

                        Linda ~

                        My first "computer" was a 12" word processor.

                        Beautifully said:

                        I think I will just go out and pick sweet tomatoes in my greenhouse. Come to think of it, the language of the earth is one language I do not mind exploring and learning. I’ll go back to my default position.
                        Be well, be safe, and find a bit of joy everyday ~

                        Love & Light,



                        Rose

                        *Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                        Comment


                          #87
                          ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                          My Day ~

                          John brought a friend, who is in the construction business to look at Jim's tools today. They started in the garage, and he was like a kid in a candy shop. He and John took photos with their phones and discussed each tool thoroughly. He kept finding things that he wanted or needed, and I was so happy to see his enthusiasm.

                          Next, they visited Jim's workshop, which is a scattered mess, where it was once immaculate and perfectly ordered. This is where Jim crafted Native American style flutes. John's friend just kept finding one treasure after another, so John came out to sit on the patio to talk with me.

                          I brought out the first flute Jim made in memory of Michael, and they both admired Jim's work and attention to detail. I explained the dynamics of the flute to them, and John's friend said, "I wish had known your husband. He must be an amazing man. Look at the inlay, the precise construction. He's a craftsman, a woodworker, an artist."

                          He spotted one of Jim's guitars on the patio and asked me, "Do you play?" I explained that Jim's gifts from me and our boys were 2 guitars, which Jim only played a few times. Turns out he's also a musician, so he tuned up one of Jim's guitars to play for me, but the string broke. I brought out the second guitar, and he admired the construction and the color, an emerald green, which I knew Jim would love. And he did.

                          I said, "They are yours. Jim's gift to you. He will love that these guitars are being played, and that his tools are being used for creativity, construction, and just feeling good about the things you love."

                          John said that he will send me a video of his friend playing the guitars.

                          I just loved John's friend the instant he said "Hi Rose! I'm so happy to meet you!" When all you can see are the eyes above the mask, you see the spirit and soul.

                          And, he is John's friend, so of course, he is a wonderful person.

                          There may be a significant clean out of the garage and workshop in a few days. While it hurts in some ways to let go, it also heals, because I know that this is what Jim wants.

                          Prayers and peace for all ~

                          Love & Light,



                          Rose

                          *Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                            ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                            My Day ~

                            John brought a friend, who is in the construction business to look at Jim's tools today. They started in the garage, and he was like a kid in a candy shop. He and John took photos with their phones and discussed each tool thoroughly. He kept finding things that he wanted or needed, and I was so happy to see his enthusiasm.

                            Next, they visited Jim's workshop, which is a scattered mess, where it was once immaculate and perfectly ordered. This is where Jim crafted Native American style flutes. John's friend just kept finding one treasure after another, so John came out to sit on the patio to talk with me.

                            I brought out the first flute Jim made in memory of Michael, and they both admired Jim's work and attention to detail. I explained the dynamics of the flute to them, and John's friend said, "I wish had known your husband. He must be an amazing man. Look at the inlay, the precise construction. He's a craftsman, a woodworker, an artist."

                            He spotted one of Jim's guitars on the patio and asked me, "Do you play?" I explained that Jim's gifts from me and our boys were 2 guitars, which Jim only played a few times. Turns out he's also a musician, so he tuned up one of Jim's guitars to play for me, but the string broke. I brought out the second guitar, and he admired the construction and the color, an emerald green, which I knew Jim would love. And he did.

                            I said, "They are yours. Jim's gift to you. He will love that these guitars are being played, and that his tools are being used for creativity, construction, and just feeling good about the things you love."

                            John said that he will send me a video of his friend playing the guitars.

                            I just loved John's friend the instant he said "Hi Rose! I'm so happy to meet you!" When all you can see are the eyes above the mask, you see the spirit and soul.

                            And, he is John's friend, so of course, he is a wonderful person.

                            There may be a significant clean out of the garage and workshop in a few days. While it hurts in some ways to let go, it also heals, because I know that this is what Jim wants.

                            Prayers and peace for all ~

                            Love & Light,



                            Rose

                            *Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                            Thank you Rose for sharing that wonderful story about the guitars. I love the sound of the flute too. Music is such an important salve to life’s bruises.
                            Linda~~~~

                            Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                            Comment


                              #89
                              A musical sound I love is the sound of bagpipes. I don't know why.
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment


                                #90
                                I enjoy bagpipes too though I doubt that I could sit through a bagpipe concert.

                                Rose, when I was a kid I played a shepherd's pipe. A friend made them (bamboo). Many years later I dabbled in playing several recorders and had a catalog showing shakuhachi flutes that I often thought about ordering from--but didn't. I'd already spent quite a bit on my 3 recorders.

                                I like the sound of these better than the orchestral flute though that is nice too.
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X