Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend got a response from Weiner at UMass MS clinic in Worcester.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My friend got a response from Weiner at UMass MS clinic in Worcester.....

    I posted an article some time ago about whether and if people on MS drugs should get vaccinated. I was concerned about rituximab...anyway, my friend got a response today and I am passing it on. There is a very interesting paragraph about a new test...

    Here is what she sent me:
    “I just got off the phone with Dr. Weiner's NP, Lynn Stazzone, who has authorized me to pass on her remarks.

    Yes, they have been studying the the vaccine in MS patients and they are aware of the muted response. Thus far the drugs suppressing B cells are the most, problematic. (She had a patient with xero B cells.) The principal drug is Rituxin/rituxamab. She did mention another couple of drugs, but our connection was breaking up badly because she was on her cell phone on the freeway. Gilenya sequesters T cells which rebound when therapy stops. I would have asked her about the B cells, but for the iffy connection. She did not address my other questions about suspending MS drugs in order to take the vaccine, or the possibility of getting repeated shots until there are sufficient antibodies in the blood. I will follow up on these questions. She said everything was in flux.

    THERE IS SOME GOOD NEWS--They have developed a test that distinguishes antibodies created by vaccines from antibodies resulting from having had a bout with the virus. The cost is $56.00 and some insurance won't pay for it because it's so new. They will test two weeks after your second shot. I'll be tested on April 15th, having gotten my last shot 1 April.
    April Fools and Tax day. Let's hope they're good omens.

    I'll keep nagging for further answers.”


    Ann corrected my error so I will just post it here . I used to go to a yearly speech by Weiner...some years ago now....“ Hi Linda,
    I wanted to let you know that Dr. Weiner and Lynn Stazzone are both at the Brigham & Women’s MS Center in Boston. “

    ANN
    Last edited by Lazarus; 03-22-2021, 04:42 PM.
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    #2
    Good post, thank you.

    My immunologist nixed Rituximab for me because he said I have an immune deficiency disorder and that it would be dangerous to be on Rituximab. Same type of issue, different scenario though.

    Comment


      #3
      Interesting.

      ANN
      Last edited by stillstANNding; 03-23-2021, 07:43 AM.
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

      Comment


        #4
        I called my PCP today and left a message....want to have test for B cells as well as the other test mentioned to see if I developed antibodies and what that means.
        Linda~~~~

        Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

        Comment


          #5
          Is this the Dr. Weiner, Linda? I read his book a while back.

          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment

          Working...
          X